User Tag List

Xtra-pc

This is a discussion on Xtra-pc within the Other Operating systems forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I saw an ad on TV for a thumb drive device a person could insert into a computer (even a

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 09:30 PM   #1
Registered Member

I saw an ad on TV for a thumb drive device a person could insert into a computer (even a 'dead one' , bad hard drive) and revitalize it. I believe they even indicated one might be able to use to recover info from a dead hard drive.

Is such a thing possible??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2018, 10:00 PM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by beiland View Post
I saw an ad on TV for a thumb drive device a person could insert into a computer (even a 'dead one' , bad hard drive) and revitalize it. I believe they even indicated one might be able to use to recover info from a dead hard drive.

Is such a thing possible??
No software can fix a hardware defect. A dead hard drive does not work and recovering data from such requires surgical precision and sophisticated equipment, and is a service offered by few and costs a lot. If by "dead" you mean Windows or the computer's OS is no longer booting, then it's possible to use a bootable flash disk containing a live OS such as Ubuntu (Linux) to access the hard drive IF it's still functional. There are several rescue disks out there and most of them use a Linux mini OS of some kind with a selection of tools for data recovery or system repairs, but they cannot and will not revive dead hardware.

Having said that, do you need help with a non-booting computer?
Closed Thread