Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Other Operating systems

User Tag List

What is (free/open)BSD?

This is a discussion on What is (free/open)BSD? within the Other Operating systems forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am currently researching operating syste,s and want to know what these operating systems are - the wikipedia page and

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

I am currently researching operating syste,s and want to know what these operating systems are - the wikipedia page and the BSD website uses terms that I don't understand.

also, what is the difference between the BSD variations (free/open)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
Registered Member

Location: Up the river, up the creek in PNW (E-side), no paddle

My System

FreeBSD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

FreeBSD is a free Unix-like operating system descended from AT&T UNIX via BSD UNIX. Although for legal reasons FreeBSD cannot be called "UNIX",[1] as the direct descendant of BSD UNIX (many of whose original developers became FreeBSD developers)

OpenBSD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OpenBSD is a Unix-like computer operating system descended from Berkeley Software Distribution (BSD), a Unix derivative developed at the University of California, Berkeley. It was forked from NetBSD by project leader Theo de Raadt in late 1995. The project is widely known for the developers' insistence on open-source code and quality documentation, uncompromising position on software licensing, and focus on security and code correctness

I wanted to be sure myself!
Closed Thread