Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Other Operating systems

User Tag List

Unix Sysasmin e-book recommendation

This is a discussion on Unix Sysasmin e-book recommendation within the Other Operating systems forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi All, One of my friends has asked me the following: "Do you know any Unix Gurus who can recommend

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 05:53 AM   #1
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows XP to Windows 10 - Windows Server 2003 to 2012 R2 - Windows SBS 2003 / 2008 / 2011

Hi All,

One of my friends has asked me the following:

"Do you know any Unix Gurus who can recommend me a good Unix Sysadmin book?"

I've not used Unix myself. Does anyone have any ideas? I believe he wants to look at CentOS in particular.

Dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
Manager
- Alternative Computing
- Design

My System

Send a message via AIM to wmorri Send a message via MSN to wmorri

Hi Dave,

Well there are a couple of things you want to tell your friend, but in the nicest of ways. First, CentOS is Linux not Unix. Next, is he looking for a sysadmin book or is he looking more for a good how to run CentOS, cause I am sure I can find some books on CentOS, and some books on sysadmin for Linux, but maybe not CentOS but I will look.

Linux Forever!|html5 boilerplate
Old 03-26-2012, 02:15 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows XP to Windows 10 - Windows Server 2003 to 2012 R2 - Windows SBS 2003 / 2008 / 2011

Haha, I'm wondering if he already knew that to make me look silly...

If you could recommend a good sysadmin book for Linux then I'd really appeciate it. There are a few on Google but as I clearly dont know the difference between CentOS and Unix I wouldnt know which was good hehe.

Thank for your reply (Y).

Dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2012, 02:40 AM   #4
Windows Tech Team
Networking Team |Tech

OS: Windows 10 Pro, Linux, Windows 7 Pro. Work systems - W2K, XP, Win7, RHEL, Solaris.

My System

Here is a excellent book on the internal workings of Linux Operating System, great for Admins and Users.
https://rute.2038bug.com/rute.html.gz

The book is downloadable, or can be purchased.

CompTIA - A+, Security+
"There are two types of hard drives. A drive that has failed, and one that will.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:47 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

Thanks Alpenadiver, I will let him know.

Dave

Closed Thread