Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Other Operating systems

User Tag List

Unix directories

This is a discussion on Unix directories within the Other Operating systems forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I'm trying to download some data from the Mikulski Archive for Space Telescopes (MAST) for some research I am

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, I'm trying to download some data from the Mikulski Archive for Space Telescopes (MAST) for some research I am doing for my professor. He is currently not reachable for communication, but I need to figure this out. I get a conformation email from MAST that the data has been successfully delivered to the directory I designated, however when I look in that directory, the files don't exist. So I pulled up command prompt and did a (ls /kepler/) to search for the files (the parentheses are just to show the command, I didn't actually type them in the prompt) the files are being shown in the directory.

We are using unix, and I believe a free BSD (shows up when I boot the computer)

Also, I just did a ls and it showed the file, but when I did a find command, it said that the file or directory did not exist

Thanks for any help,
Shayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2012, 03:34 PM   #2
Alternative Computing

OS: Linux Mint 17.3 (KDE 4.14), Debian 8, Arch. Languages: Python3, Javascript, CSS3, HTML, Bash

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayne.seubert View Post
Hi, I'm trying to download some data from the Mikulski Archive for Space Telescopes (MAST) for some research I am doing for my professor. He is currently not reachable for communication, but I need to figure this out. I get a conformation email from MAST that the data has been successfully delivered to the directory I designated, however when I look in that directory, the files don't exist. So I pulled up command prompt and did a (ls /kepler/) to search for the files (the parentheses are just to show the command, I didn't actually type them in the prompt) the files are being shown in the directory.

We are using unix, and I believe a free BSD (shows up when I boot the computer)

Also, I just did a ls and it showed the file, but when I did a find command, it said that the file or directory did not exist

Thanks for any help,
Shayne

Have a look for your kepler elements using this command:

ls kepler

Not ls /kepler

The / looks for kepler in / the files are most likely in your home directory which is why you cant find them.
You didn't state where you downloaded them to so the command
pwd (print working directory will tell you where you are).

If you need to change directory then its cd example
cd Downloads
will change to Downloads.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:11 AM   #3
Registered Member

Well I tried that, but the /kepler is the directory, and I'm looking for some files within it. When I do a ls, the files are listed, but when I physically go into the directory folder (not using the command) they aren't there. Also, when I downloaded them from MAST, it asks me where to download them to and I tell it /kepler. I thought that should have placed them in the kepler directory
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
Alternative Computing

OS: Linux Mint 17.3 (KDE 4.14), Debian 8, Arch. Languages: Python3, Javascript, CSS3, HTML, Bash

My System

Saving any file with a leading / slash will place it in the root filesystem, so you need an account with root access or superuser.

It's not a good idea to run any system as root but post the output of these commands please:

mount
ls -l /kepler

Do you know what desktop you're using? It may be gnome.