Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Other Operating systems

User Tag List

Uninstall MS Updates that crippled my S/W

This is a discussion on Uninstall MS Updates that crippled my S/W within the Other Operating systems forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I bought a used POS system that has Windows Embedded 7 on it and it has been working great for

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 12:53 PM   #1
Registered Member

I bought a used POS system that has Windows Embedded 7 on it and it has been working great for over a year now. The other day I powered it down and I noticed it said it was installing 67 updates. When I powered it back on it continued to install the remaining updates and then loaded the desktop. Now every time I run the POS Menu program I get the following error:

The process performance counter is disabled, so the requested operation cannot be performed.

I can press ok, and then about 10 seconds later the same error pops back up. I have pressed the button 10 or 20 times hoping it would eventually open the POS Menu, but no luck so far.

Iím a technician by trade, but I have never worked on a Windows Embedded system. Everything seems to be locked down on the desktop. The start menu only has a search box with the power menu to the right. The search box is disabled, so you canít run any commands. The only icon on the desktop is a shortcut for the POS Menu. I can open the task manager but I canít run any commands from it either.

All I want to do is uninstall those updates so things can return to the way it was, or resolve the error message if possible. I loaded Hirenís BootCD and gained access to the file system. Hiren seems to pack a lot of tools, but I didnít see anything that could uninstall MS updates or even run the MS system restore. I did notice there were many users in the Users directory but how can I attempt to load any of them if the system doesnít allow you to change users? I also noticed using Hirenís BootCD doesnít give you access to the User Accounts applet in the control panel either. So even if I could change users, how would I create a new user?

I also ran Windows Recovery using a UFD. From there I was able to run system restore. System restore listed one restore point and it was only a few days ago. Getting excited at this point, I clicked next, only to be disappointed again. Error: There is not enough disk space to restore the disk.

I called the company that supports the system but they want me to purchase a support package at $260 a month, which is just absurd! Whatís funny is the guy I talked to said any PC repair person should be able to resolve this issue quickly. Maybe Iím just off my game.

Any suggestions?

Thank you
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2015, 01:24 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

TSF does not recommend or endorse the use of Hirenís Boot. Any reason Windows7 wasn't up to date prior to this? Are you sure the updates were to Windows and not some 3rd party updates for something else? I assume you're in the restaurant business.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:18 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
TSF does not recommend or endorse the use of Hirenís Boot. Any reason Windows7 wasn't up to date prior to this? Are you sure the updates were to Windows and not some 3rd party updates for something else? I assume you're in the restaurant business.
Yes, I'm certain they were updates for Windows. I've used Windows for a long time and it's not hard to confuse them with others. But I can understand why you would ask.
As far as why it wasn't up-to-date prior was b/c I didn't want the system to update b/c I know updates can cripple a system. And since I have no ability to uninstall failed updates or even turn them off, I chose to ignore them to avoid the risk. The only reason they installed is b/c I accidentally clicked shutdown instead of restart.

The desktop appears to be locked down by group polices or local security polices. Is there anyway to reset them from outside the desktop such as a Live disc? Actually that is more toward my long term goal of gaining full access to my system. For my short term goal I just want to get the system back to its working order by uninstalling these updates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2015, 03:11 PM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Who has access to the WSUS Server? That's where the filtration of Windows updates takes place to make sure there are no problems prior to installation by the user. They can also help in removal and should be notified in any case so if a particular update is "bad" it can be excluded/deleted.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 09-07-2015, 03:49 PM   #5
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Is there a keyboard attached to this system?

Have you tried F8/safe mode to restore the system to a earlier date?

Turn Windows updates off, Most embeded POS systems I've seen do not have updates turned on as its handled by the POS software if needed.
Closed Thread