Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Other Operating systems

User Tag List

UEFI without nuking?

This is a discussion on UEFI without nuking? within the Other Operating systems forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. (In this post EFI = UEFI = Universal Extendable Firmware Interface) This is a really quick, very general question. Is

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 02:06 PM   #1
Registered Member

(In this post EFI = UEFI = Universal Extendable Firmware Interface)

This is a really quick, very general question. Is it possible to do an update to an OS from Bios mode to EFI mode without installing them from scratch?

The two I have in mind are Windows 7 and Fedora. When I bought the computer EFI mode was turned off. Windows 7 was installed on the computer before I bought it and I transfered the Fedora hard drive from my old computer so neither of the installs were in UEFI mode.

I couldn't find any way to upgrade windows because it won't let me do an "upgrade" from pre-boot launch and if I run it from inside windows it's already booted in BIOS mode and can't be changed to UEFI. I havn't tried with Fedora because the F16 boot disk won't launch for me in EFI mode at all and I've been to lazy to try a regression to Fedora 15.

If anyone has any information I would greatly appreciate it.

P.S. I'm sorry, I know that this belongs under either Linux or Windows 7 and not under "other" OSes but it doesn't truly fit entirely under either one of those catagories so I didn't know where to put it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2011, 11:31 AM   #2
Manager
- Alternative Computing
- Design

My System

Send a message via AIM to wmorri Send a message via MSN to wmorri

Hi,

I will admit that I don't know much if anything about UEFI. To that end I found a link that should help you a bit or at least get you started. Have a look at Booting from GPT. It offers some good links, that might help you.

Cheers!

Linux Forever!|html5 boilerplate
Old 10-16-2011, 04:53 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you very much for your help but I don't think that's what I need. That seems to offer information more from a standpoint of making it run on BIOS systems and installing it in the first place. I didn't see anything in there about upgrades after initial install.
Closed Thread