Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Other Operating systems

User Tag List

Some questions regarding a raspberry pi

This is a discussion on Some questions regarding a raspberry pi within the Other Operating systems forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So I decided to try and make a video game emulation station and a media station with raspberry pi. I'm

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 09:17 PM   #1
Registered Member

So I decided to try and make a video game emulation station and a media station with raspberry pi. I'm choosing to use OpenElec for the media and Retro Pie and installing EmulationStation on to it.

Now some questions I have are:

Will the raspberry pi be able to handle multiple operating systems on it? I don't want then to run at the same time I just wish to dual boot it.

Also since I'm pretty new with this how would one go about "dual booting" a raspberry pi if I'm able to?

I plan on using raspberry pi's New Out Of Box Software (NOOBS) to install OpenELEC but since RetroPie doesn't come on that software will I still be able to dual boot? or would I be better off installing each separately?

Can I use a usb controller for the emulators providing the emulators support using a controller.

Will I be able to use a wireless usb network adapter? (I have one laying around that supports linux I'm guessing the answer to this is yes i just wanted to make sure)

Another question that the answer is most likely yes to but can I use my portable hard drive to watch movies or listen to music from?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2014, 05:30 AM   #2
Manager
- Alternative Computing
- Design

My System

Send a message via AIM to wmorri Send a message via MSN to wmorri

Hi,

This is a rather interesting project, with a number of tasks, that you want to do. I will start by answering the easy questions first and work from there.

Quote:
Another question that the answer is most likely yes to but can I use my portable hard drive to watch movies or listen to music from?
You are correct about this one. Like any OS that has a media player, you will be able to play your music and videos. You will most likely have to use some proprietary media codecs though.

Quote:
Will I be able to use a wireless usb network adapter? (I have one laying around that supports linux I'm guessing the answer to this is yes i just wanted to make sure)
Yes, but you will need to make sure that there is driver support for the chipset on the dongle.

Quote:
Can I use a usb controller for the emulators providing the emulators support using a controller.
Most likely, you will want to check on driver support.

Quote:
Also since I'm pretty new with this how would one go about "dual booting" a raspberry pi if I'm able to?

I plan on using raspberry pi's New Out Of Box Software (NOOBS) to install OpenELEC but since RetroPie doesn't come on that software will I still be able to dual boot? or would I be better off installing each separately?
This is a little harder question. The simple answer is yes it can be done. When you go to install an OS on the pie you will put it on an SD card. SO the big question is how much extra space are you going to need beyond the install, in your case for games and updates, etc.

Multi-Boot a Raspberry Pi with Berryboot, is a good place to start with this.

Hope this gets you started on the project, again remember that you are likely to run into an number of snags but we are here to help.

Linux Forever!|html5 boilerplate
Old 07-03-2014, 06:56 PM   #3
Registered Member

Ok thank you for the help. Would I need a full linux OS install on Pi to use proprietary media codecs so that the movies will then playback in OpenElec or will I just need to find the format supported by OpenElec and convert whatever video or music file into the supported type and then simply plug it into the raspberry pi and hopefully it would play?

Would I be able to find if the dongle is compatible with the chipset right on the manufacturers website or would it be easier to look in the documentation shipped with the dongle?

I did some looking around after I posted this last night and I also found berryboot so currently I'm creating an image for RetroPie that I can copy to the SD card from berryboot with a Usb stick. And I'm pretty sure I can just install OpenElec from berryboot itself for the first time i run berryboot and then afterwards install the RetroPie image and hopefully I'll have a working multi boot.

Thanks for the help so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2014, 09:05 PM   #4
Registered Member

I did some looking around on the RetroPie website and found a way to be able to use controllers. https://github.com/petrockblog/Retro...360-controller

So I'm going to try and use option 2 because I have no clue how to do the others and then I also seen that I can configure the controller through EmulationStation in RetroPie so i should be able to easily configure it through there instead of editing files which I'm happy with doing because I'm not that strong with using command lines to navigate folders and editing files.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:59 AM   #5
Registered Member

Ok I got it up and running and I was able to multiboot the Pi with Openelec and RetroPie. I'm still having trouble configuring my 360 controller with retropie tho I followed the directions to the first option in the link https://github.com/petrockblog/Retro...360-controller but when I reboot the Pi my controller isn't detected and i can't keep going with the instructions.

I tried to continue on with the directions but when it told me to go to the

cd ~/RetroPie/emulators/RetroArch/installdir/bin/

that directory wasn't there at all, I have the RetroPie directory
but everything after that I didn't have.

I was also having problems figuring out how the roms saved in general there wasn't much info that I could find on how to do save states with a keyboard some said it would do it automatically when you exited the emulator safely like escaping back to the emulation station front page, I see things on forums where I had to go and edit retroarch.cfg file but I have no idea where that would be found.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:36 AM   #6
Registered Member

I managed to somehow get the controller working through some of the RetroPie_Setup commands but now I can't get to the command line at all when I hit F4 to go to the command line it just goes to a black screen and nothing happens at all I really don't want to have to re install this OS it would be such a pain in the ***
Closed Thread