Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Other Operating systems

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Windows 7 which one?

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Windows 7 which one? within the Other Operating systems forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I think I'm gonna upgrade from XP to Windows 7 but not sure which one I should get. When I

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

I think I'm gonna upgrade from XP to Windows 7 but not sure which one I should get. When I read the feedback from newegg most of them are for building new computer and then you have to sell the computer or something like that. This one have $25 off but says for for resale

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - Operating Systems
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

you CANNOT use oem to upgrade a computer. you must purchase either a full retail version or upgrade version.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

No, you cannot use OEM to upgrade - but you can use it to install. Once installed and registered, OEM (System Builder, as it was once known) 'belongs' to that PC and cannot be moved to another.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrow View Post
No, you cannot use OEM to upgrade - but you can use it to install. Once installed and registered, OEM (System Builder, as it was once known) 'belongs' to that PC and cannot be moved to another.
you cannot use it to install on a computer that already has an operating system on it. The new licensing rules only applies to win8.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:04 PM   #5
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

Right, so you can't install W7 OEM over Ubuntu?

You can't upgrade XP to W7 anyway, iirc, it has to be an export/install/import.

I know nothing of W8 and it's irrelevant here anyway?
Old 12-28-2012, 07:11 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrow View Post
Right, so you can't install W7 OEM over Ubuntu?

You can't upgrade XP to W7 anyway, iirc, it has to be an export/install/import.

I know nothing of W8 and it's irrelevant here anyway?
who said anything about installing oem over ubuntu - that was very irrelevant. and yes you can upgrade xp to win7. xp has to be installed and activated, insert the win7 disk then it will wipe xp and install. That is considered an upgrade in my book.

as far as the win8 mention, your poor wording made it sound like you were talking about the new win8 licensing rules.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #7
Team Manager
Articles Team

My System

Send a message via Skype™ to chauffeur2

Greetings AK530,

Some of the advices you are being given are quite correct.
As for which 'flavour' of Windows® 7 you need will depend entirely what you want your computer to do.

Windows® 7 Home Premium will more than likely meet all your needs.

Using an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacture) Version, you will have to wipe your HDD and format it; then, install Windows® 7 from scratch.

But before you do anything you would be wise to download, and install, the Microsoft® Windows® 7 Upgrade Advisor, to determine if your current hardware configuration will in fact be able to be upgraded to Windows® 7.
The Upgrade Advisor will tell you what items of Hardware in your computer that will or will not be compatible with Windows® 7.
It's not a matter of just installing the 'new' OS; things like Drivers; RAM; Graphics Cards, and more need to be taken into consideration; The Upgrade Advisor will tell you this.

By the way, is this a Laptop or Desktop that you are intending upgrade?
To help you give us this information, please download a free program called Speccy; once downloaded, please run the program.
At the top of the "Speccy" page click on File, in the drop-down box there is a button Print/Publish; copy and paste this URL into your next post so we have an idea of what your computer can do.

When you post back with the "Speccy" results, please tell us what the Upgrade Advisor revealed.

Kind Regards,

If it works, Don't fix it!
Especially if Microsoft made it!
Old 12-28-2012, 07:18 PM   #8
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobeit View Post
who said anything about installing oem over ubuntu - that was very irrelevant.
Quote:
you cannot use it to install on a computer that already has an operating system on it.
There are many makers of operating systems.
Quote:
and yes you can upgrade xp to win7. xp has to be installed and activated, insert the win7 disk then it will wipe xp and install. That is considered an upgrade in my book.
Wiping the previous OS prior to installing the new OS is a clean install in my book.
Quote:
as far as the win8 mention, your poor wording made it sound like you were talking about the new win8 licensing rules.
My poor wording made no mention of W8, sorry if I mislead you somehow.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #9
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

Microsoft changed it licensing with Windows 8. But technically with Windows 7 you are not allowed to use an OEM version unless you build for resale and then you are required to provide technical support for your sold units. Any Windows 7 that is purchased for installation by an end-user must be a retail version (replacement OEM disks may be purchased from the OEM because you are just paying for the processing, not a new license). Now I know that thousands of people got away with installing OEM Windows 7 on their personal machines but it was technically in violation of the license agreement.

Quote:
Can I use the Personal Use License for Windows 7 software?
A. No. The Personal Use License is for Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro software only. If you are building a PC for your personal use with Windows 7 software, you still need to purchase the full packaged retail version.
OEM System Builder Licensing

If you have a genuine version of XP, then you can upgrade to Win 7 or 8. However, if the XP is OEM you can upgrade only on the machine that it came packaged with. If the XP is retail then it, and the upgrade, can be transferred to any future computer you also own.

Personal experience note:

I have a full version of Win 7 and as far as I can tell that's what they gave me when I downloaded the Win 8 upgrade. I don't know if everyone gets a full version but I ordered a spare set of Win 8 upgrade disks and they came in a package with both 32-bit and 64-bit disks. I can clean install my Win 8 upgrade disk on a brand-new drive that has never seen Win 7 and it activates just fine. Note that when you upgrade from Win 7 to Win 8 the Win 7 disks can no longer be used -- the Win 8 upgrade license replaces their license.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:31 PM   #10
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

Here are the official Windows 7 upgrade paths:

Windows 7 Upgrade Paths

I was incorrect about the Win XP to Win 7 path.

Quote:
Upgrades to Windows 7 from the following operating systems are not supported: Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows XP, Windows Vista® RTM, Windows Vista Starter...
Ironically, there is a Win XP to Win 8 upgrade path though.

Windows 8 Upgrade Paths
Old 12-28-2012, 10:39 PM   #11
Registered Member

My System

I want to add more RAM that's the only reason I want to upgrade. last night I got some virus it's the one that says Your computer has been locked and I was able to remove it in safe mode with networking and just right now I check my computer system properties and it doesn't show what I have in my computer. Now back to Windows 7 here is the Speccy URL https://speccy.piriform.com/results/h...zf4sbFdQrwLAMd

Here's the URL Windows 7 upgrade advisor
C:\Documents and Settings\Schao\Desktop\Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor.mht
Old 12-28-2012, 10:47 PM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TeenScripts
Navigate:

Start>Right Click on Computer>Properties
This will give you some basic info on your motherboard, Windows type and gpu, maybe even some other detail.

Look into it.
Upgrades are Cheaper than the Full.

If you want more RAM, we will need to know what type of motherboard you have in order to give you advice or propose links.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:56 PM   #13
Team Manager
Articles Team

My System

It looks like the "Speccy" Results has something diabolically wrong with it, because it reads "Server Execution Failed", without giving us any information at all.
The TSF Server will never read a URL from your computer; that one that you gave us is no good, so I'll get you to do is read this tutorial about How to Post a screenshot.

You can post a screenshot in your next post, thanks.
Also, could you please tell us what type of computer you have; be it a Laptop, or a Desktop and what hardware is in it.

Post back with the information.

Kind Regards,

Old 12-28-2012, 11:19 PM   #14
Registered Member

My System

TeenScripts that's exactly what I did and before last nights virus it would show my specs. Now it don't show what I have in there. How can I get it back do I have to restore my computer?

Windows XP 32 Bit Media center Edition
Motherboard- Asus P8ZZ77-V LK
CPU- i5-3570K
Memory- Patriot 4GB
PSU- Hipro

Snapshot don't work for me so hope this PDF will let you view it
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor.pdf (61.8 KB, 117 views)
Old 12-29-2012, 04:29 AM   #15
TSF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TeenScripts
That is a common problem with XP computers, it happened to my old one too. Basically this virus went in and corrupted your files. It could have done either of these things:

1.Curropted Links, so that you can't access certain things.

2.Curropted Search, so that you can no longer search

3. Changed your image files (Sometimes it switches up the icons of your image files so that a .jpg would look like a .gif, and gif would look like jpg ...etc...)

I don't know much about it, but you can find fixes online. Mainly you will need to replace certain files.

Windows XP has lot's of bugs and this could just be a software problem due to the age of your computer.

To fix the problem I recommend:

-Upgrading to Windows 7
That should do the trick, since it replaces most of your files anyway.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:46 PM   #16
Registered Member

My System

Search a lot of places and they all seem to sell OEM Version only.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #17
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

If you have an XP license, you should consider just going with the Windows 8 upgrade if your system meets requirements. The upgrade is currently $40, which is a small fraction of the cost of a retail copy of Windows 7.

WHat is the make and model of your computer?
Old 12-29-2012, 04:39 PM   #18
Registered Member

My System

I heard Windows 8 sucks. My nephew had Windows 7 installed on his ultrabook and got Windows 8 disc which he got for free and he installed it and he says it sucks compare to windows 7. The cheapest Windows 7 Ultimate full version is on ebay but it's for 1 computer only comes with certificate of authenticity keys. If I was to get this if my motherboard is fried I can't use this anymore when I replace the motherboard? I can't find one that I can use as many time as I want. This is depressing.

New in Box Wlndows 7 Ultlmate 32 64 BLT Retall Full Version Free Shipping | eBay

New in Box Wlndows 7 Ultlmate 32 64 BLT Retall Full Version Free Shipping | eBay
Old 12-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #19
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

Retail Win 7 can be installed on any computer with any motherboard you own or will own in the future.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #20
Team Manager
Articles Team

My System

Hello AK530,

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK530 View Post
I heard Windows 8 sucks. My nephew had Windows 7 installed on his ultrabook and got Windows 8 disc which he got for free and he installed it and he says it sucks compare to windows 7.
That's entirely a matter of personal preference.
Some people 'like' Windows®8; however, it is not one of my personally preferred Operating Systems.

The cheapest Windows 7 Ultimate full version is on ebay but it's for 1 computer only comes with certificate of authenticity keys.
Nobody is permitted to sell just the Product Key for any Microsoft® Product; it must be sold with the Original Disc included.
Do not deal with unscrupulous people that sell Microsoft® Products in this manner; it is illegal.

If I was to get this if my motherboard is fried I can't use this anymore when I replace the motherboard?
Not necessarily so, Microsoft® are aware that components can become faulty, and need replacement.
In a situation like you have described, a quick phone call (Tollfree) to Microsoft®, and the issue is sorted; that is if you can not do the Re-Activation on line, at the time of major component replacement.
Having said that, I'm not too sure about the number of times you can re-activate your Windows®, only Microsoft® can answer that.

I can't find one that I can use as many time as I want. This is depressing.
What would you want to use the disc more than once for?
Only in the extreme case that you mentioned, would you ever need to re-install Windows® on a completely re-formatted HDD.
Naturally you can re-use the Disc for in-line 'Repair Installations'.
It would not matter what the case, you can only ever use the Windows® Product Key once, and on the PC that it is originally intended for.
However, if it is a Commercial Volume Licenced Disc; that's another long and involved story that would not apply to you, or the average everyday computer user.

Hopefully I have explained matters for you, and you have a clearer idea as to what you path want to take.

Kind Regards,

Closed Thread