Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Other Operating systems

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Win 7 displaying inccorrect freenas capacity

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Win 7 displaying inccorrect freenas capacity within the Other Operating systems forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I have a problem with my freenas server and windows 7. I'm running windows 7 pro and freenas 0.7.2

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello, I have a problem with my freenas server and windows 7. I'm running windows 7 pro and freenas 0.7.2 sabanda, rev.5543. My computer in windows 7 displays a much smaller capacity than what is actually available in my freenas server. As a result I'm unable to backup windows to the server using the built in backup program because it appears I don't have enough disk space. Any ideas? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2011, 12:37 PM   #2
Alternative Computing

OS: Linux Mint 17.3 (KDE 4.14), Debian 8, Arch. Languages: Python3, Javascript, CSS3, HTML, Bash

My System

FreeNAS which is based on FreeBSD will use either a UFS filesystem or ZFS.
As windows7 can read neither file systems then you must be using either SAMBA or CIFS to read the filesystem.

The smallest unit a file can fit in windows is called a cluster (be it fat32 or NTFS) the cluster size may be large 64k on windows 7.
In unix/linux filesystems , the smallest unit is called an "inode". The size of the inode varies according to filesystem type (you are not limited to two types like windows).
The most likely reason your files will not fit onto the NAS server is the cluster size in windows.
You have a couple of options,
buy a larger NAS storage unit
only backup your own data (music, images, bookmarks etc)

You didnt state the size of the HD on your NAS storage, not the size of HD in your windows PC.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:59 AM   #3
Registered Member

After formatting and raid overhead, i have 902GB on my freenas server. I have no trouble manually copying files of any size to my nas box. My issue is, in my computer and disk management it lists my nas box capacity at 360MB. Windows backup utility uses this number and believes I have insufficient storage in my nas box, and therefor my automatic backups fail. I also have CIFS enabled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2011, 01:59 PM   #4
Alternative Computing

OS: Linux Mint 17.3 (KDE 4.14), Debian 8, Arch. Languages: Python3, Javascript, CSS3, HTML, Bash

My System

The reason for the size discrepency is the use of Microsoft’s CIFS. You will need to use CIFS to talk to the FreeNAS file system, unfortunately the CIFS will not convert each inode to a cluster hence a lot of wastage.

The solution is not one you want to hear; either use a host system that can read and wite to ZFS, unix, linux FreeBSD etc
Alternatively dont use windows backup. Instead just pick off your data, music, docs, images etc and only back up your work.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:57 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal8000 View Post
The reason for the size discrepency is the use of Microsoft’s CIFS. You will need to use CIFS to talk to the FreeNAS file system, unfortunately the CIFS will not convert each inode to a cluster hence a lot of wastage.

The solution is not one you want to hear; either use a host system that can read and wite to ZFS, unix, linux FreeBSD etc
Alternatively dont use windows backup. Instead just pick off your data, music, docs, images etc and only back up your work.
Makes perfect sense. I'm not real attached to windows backup so I may try rsync and see how that goes. Thanks for your input!
Closed Thread