Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Other Operating systems

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Keyboard randomely fails during boot

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Keyboard randomely fails during boot within the Other Operating systems forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a computer with Windows 7, Debian GNU/Linux, and FreeDOS installed alongside each other with GRUB (not sure which

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #1
Registered Member

Angry

I have a computer with Windows 7, Debian GNU/Linux, and FreeDOS installed alongside each other with GRUB (not sure which version) as the bootloader.

My keyboard (usually) fails during the bootloader stage. Sometimes it works though. It always works during bios and when an operating system is loaded.

This isn't just a problem with GRUB. It has also been a problem when booting operating systems from live cds.

I have a logitech usb keyboard and a motherboard with ASUS UEFI bios. There are no ps/2 ports so a usb keyboard is my only option.

Because my keyboard fails during boot, I get stuck loading Linux when sometimes I need to load Windows 7.

Does anybody have a solution to this mysterious (and extremely frustrating ) keyboard problem.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2013, 02:13 AM   #2
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Hi, welcome to TSF

Look in BIOS for the keyboard/mouse option, and set it to 'USB enabled' or 'Legacy USB'. Hit F10 to save settings and exit.

Disable Social Media Buttons: adblockplus.org/en/features#socialmedia
Old 08-07-2013, 09:57 AM   #3
Registered Member

The closest thing I could find to this is 'USB Options' and they are all enabled already. I can't find any options for keyboard/mouse in particular.

The BIOS manager I have is very strange and uses a GUI. It has what's called EZ Mode, and Advanced Mode. Both modes are graphical.

Does anybody know how to find the keyboard/mouse option in this type of BIOS?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #4
Registered Member

Hello? Anybody there?
Old 08-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #5
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

What are the specs of the PC?
Are the KB and Mouse plugged into USB3 or USB2 ports?
Old 08-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
Registered Member

The keyboard and mouse are plugged into USB 3.0 ports.

Memory: 32 GB of DDR3 RAM.

Motherboard: P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 from ASUS.

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40 GHz x 4
Old 08-10-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Try Using the USB 2 ports for the KB and Mouse and see how it acts, when windows loads the USB 3 driver it sometimes disrupts the device plugged into the USB 3 port as it changes.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #8
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

That sounds like a Uefi bios and you might need to uncheck "legacy usb devices or mouse and keyboard". At certain stages of development Uefi bios can get really weird with "legacy" settings.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M View Post
That sounds like a Uefi bios and you might need to uncheck "legacy usb devices or mouse and keyboard". At certain stages of development Uefi bios can get really weird with "legacy" settings.
You were right! Turns out I had to enable 'Legacy USB 3.0 Devices' and disable 'Legacy USB Devices'.

Thank you all so much for your help. Now I can focus more on programming and less on wrestling with the BIOS.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #10
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Glad to hear it why not mark this solved in the first post under "Thread Tools" in the first post. Uefi bios are screwy and different from unit to unit and I wish they would standardize those suckers!

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Closed Thread