Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Other Operating systems

User Tag List

OS on slow laptop

This is a discussion on OS on slow laptop within the Other Operating systems forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi guys, I would like to know what OS you would recommend me to install on my Acer Aspire One

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 08:59 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi guys,
I would like to know what OS you would recommend me to install on my Acer Aspire One ZG5. I tried Ubuntu and Linux mint, but they were laggy and froze too often. My laptop has 512 MB RAM and an Intel Atom N720 (1.6 GHz I believe) CPU. I would like for the OS to work out-of-the-box, so have all the main codecs installed and some basic software, as I will not be able to access the internet to install anyhing onto it.
Thanks very much,
Esxu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2013, 09:25 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Atom N270 not 720.You could go up to 1 GB of RAM.It could be upgraded to a modern MS OS but was intended for XP or Linux. Might be time to think about a new unit.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #3
Registered Member

I do have a newer laptop, problem is, it's screen cracked, i ordered a new screen, but it's not arriving in another week, so I need to make this one usable until the replacement arrives, as I have a lot of work to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2013, 10:12 AM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

There are some places that rent laptops.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #5
Registered Member

Ihttps://www.linuxmint.com/start/olivia/n the middle of the yorkshire moors? :P
Old 11-15-2013, 04:23 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

you can try an older version of linux. maybe linux mint 13 or older. no matter what, 512 ram is not much, especially since some of it is being used for video.

Releases - Linux Mint
Old 11-16-2013, 03:35 AM   #7
Windows Tech Team
Networking Team |Tech

OS: Windows 10 Pro, Linux, Windows 7 Pro. Work systems - W2K, XP, Win7, RHEL, Solaris.

My System

Lubuntu is made for low memory systems, as is puppy linux, damn small linux.

lubuntu | lightweight, fast, easier
Puppy Linux
DSL information

CompTIA - A+, Security+
"There are two types of hard drives. A drive that has failed, and one that will.
Closed Thread