Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Other Operating systems

User Tag List

Old Computer new operating system

This is a discussion on Old Computer new operating system within the Other Operating systems forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have an IBM Pentium 2 and I'm in the process of trying to get it running again. I have

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 11:04 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have an IBM Pentium 2 and I'm in the process of trying to get it running again. I have a cd rom drive that I cannot replace because it was a former server computer. The problem with drive is it won't read burned CD's it has to be original. I'm hoping to find a linux cd that the cd drive can read. The computer is from 97 or 98. Would Ubuntu work? I have an 80GB harddrive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2011, 06:08 AM   #2
Manager
- Alternative Computing
- Design

My System

Send a message via AIM to wmorri Send a message via MSN to wmorri

Hi,

This sounds like a bad piece of hardware. You say that you can't gain access to the cd drive because it was a server, are your able to gain access to insides of the server at all. This can at least tell us if there is a bad cable or connections.

Linux Forever!|html5 boilerplate
Old 07-22-2011, 07:22 AM   #3
Emeritus

My System

How well Ubuntu would work depends on the specs of the hardware, especially how much RAM you have. Most Linux distributions are downloaded as an ISO then burned to a disc, so I would be surprised if it did not boot. Have you tried booting from a Linux install disc yet? What are the specs of the computer?
Has it been a few days since I replied to your thread? Don't panic! I'm usually very busy and may forget a post if I'm extra busy (or it might just take me a while to be able to do a decent reply). If you still need help and are awaiting my reply after a few days, PM me about it.

When posting what errors you get, please give the full message. It makes helping you much easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2011, 09:20 AM   #4
Registered Member

Pentium 2 would crawl with Ubuntu. Try to look at a local book store for a magazine containing a install disk. I like this months issue of Linux Format. It comes with Arch Linux to install.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:30 PM   #5
Registered Member

You can buy ubuntu on cd. https://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/cds

However I recommend installing a less demanding operating system like lubuntu. But as far as I know you can't buy lubuntu on a cd.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:23 AM   #6
Registered Member

I suggest you to update your system, Ubuntu will work on it but it will work slow.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:30 AM   #7
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Agreed. Where we marvel at some old systems that still run, that fact alone does not change that they really have no intrinsic value used.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:37 PM   #8
Registered Member

I've tried to get a cheap 20 dollar hard drive in there to no avail, its a shame because it was an IBM and I love IBM. I already have a new working unit that I just built.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:07 PM   #9
Registered Member

Try Slackware 10.1. It's very good for old computers Pentium II and above.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #10
Registered Member

The amount of RAM you have in the computer is VERY important, as I just found out. I had a Pentium 4 with only 128 Mb of RAM and while I could run Puppy linux there was no way it would run effectively. Once I upgraded to 1 Gig of RAM it was able to work with a number of different dstributions. I settled on Ubuntu 10.10 and it is working perfectly. When the system prompts me to update to 11.1 I just close the window declining the update. My last update destroyed the dual boot and I had to go back and reload both DOS and Ubuntu. I am happy with what I have now even though I have a steep learning curve ahead of me to learn to use the terminal end of Linux.

Paul
Closed Thread