Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Other Operating systems

User Tag List

MS-DOS Batch programming

This is a discussion on MS-DOS Batch programming within the Other Operating systems forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have done a lot of scanning of historical documents, including lots of letters from the 1930s. Each letter is

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 06:20 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have done a lot of scanning of historical documents, including lots of letters from the 1930s. Each letter is then transcribed into a .txt file in that folder.

The scans are in separate folders for each letter, and these are subfolders of folders for each author, and these again are subfolders of separate folders for each recipient.

Recipient 1
......Author 1
............Letter 1
..................Letter 1 Scan 1
..................Letter 1 Scan 2
..................Letter 1 Scan 3
..................Letter 1 Scan 4
..................Letter 1 Scan 5
..................Letter 1.txt
............Letter 2
............Letter 3
......Author 2
......Author 3
Recipient 2
Recipient 3

etc., etc., etc. At least a couple of thousand letters, up to 20 pages long, so a very large number of files, but only one .txt file for each letter.

I want a batch file that will search ALL those .txt files to abstract all references to a given word, I guess "given phrase" would be nice, but probably TFD.

Here's what I have so far, but it will only do the one specific folder. How can I make it do ALL levels of sub-folders ?

This is called from a DOS window, with "Search myword", so %1 = myword

Code:
REM Search.bat
S:
cd "S:\Family\Clay"
find /I %1 *.txt >>S:/Results.txt 
start S:/results.txt
I think I may have to have a previous .bat that calls this one with each folder name. But that's beyond me, Alas !

That's for letters. I also have my mother's 75 diaries, now all scanned, & being transcribed; and I would like something similar to search all her diaries for a specific word. But they are WORD documents - so I guess a whole new ball-game !

Help ! Please ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2018, 02:10 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Not too good with batch, but a logical approach would be to use a For loop to cycle through the directories before the Find line, also use the braces correctly when using the for loop and various parameters.

Old 01-30-2018, 02:46 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you, TriStar, for your response.

Alas ! That is where I need help, in acquiring the subfolder names, and in recursion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2018, 03:58 AM   #4
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

This is the syntax:

Code:
FOR /D [/r] %%parameter IN (folder_set) DO command
/r - recurse, /D is for cycling through directories, folder_set would be your root folder under which your sub dirs reside and what you would like it to do command

Closed Thread