Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Other Operating systems

User Tag List

How to boot into BartPE from usb?

This is a discussion on How to boot into BartPE from usb? within the Other Operating systems forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a few dozen machines I need to image via ghost, and booting from the dvd drive takes a

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 07:14 AM   #1
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

I have a few dozen machines I need to image via ghost, and booting from the dvd drive takes a whole two minutes

I've done a bunch of searches, and came up with these:
How to make a USB-key bootable with BartPE
!NEW BartPE To USB Flash Stick Utility - The CD Forum

Neither seem to be working. In fact, I don't even get a BSOD or crash, the system just says to put in a bootable device.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 03:32 AM   #2
Manager
- Alternative Computing
- Design

My System

Send a message via AIM to wmorri Send a message via MSN to wmorri

Hi,

I am not usually one to assume, but have a look at BartPe. If you haven't looked at this already then I would start there.

Linux Forever!|html5 boilerplate
Old 03-29-2012, 05:34 AM   #3
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Yes, I've looked over that. It links to PE2USB, and I've followed those instructions to no avail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 06:28 AM   #4
Manager
- Alternative Computing
- Design

My System

Okay lets start at the beginning, you have made sure that the computer you are testing this one is able to boot form usb?

Another thing to look into if you have that many machines is doing a PXE pronounce "pixie". But that is a little work and I don't know what your setup is like for you network.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

All machines are able to boot from USB.

What we are doing is, on either a flash drive of a usb hdd there are a few ghost images we are using.
We boot from cd into Bart to initiate the ghosting, and afterwards, we have a usb that has windows 7 on it. Boot into that to repair the install (else it wouldn't boot), and then configure the PC depending on the department.

What is PXE?
Old 03-29-2012, 03:19 PM   #6
Manager
- Alternative Computing
- Design

My System

PXE is a way to do a few different things but in your case it is to install an OS over a network. This is primarily used in Linux so if you aren't too familiar with Linux you might want to pass it by. There are a lot of sites that can help you out with setting up a PXE install if you follow this link. However if you are familiar with Linux and want to try something like this then have a look at Network booting with Linux - PXE.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #7
Registered Member

Use WinSetupFromUSB to install your BartPE image onto USB.

How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI - MSFN Forum
Old 04-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #8
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

I'll give that a try, thanks
Closed Thread