Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Other Operating systems

User Tag List

FreeNAS 7 not shutting down

This is a discussion on FreeNAS 7 not shutting down within the Other Operating systems forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi there, I'm aving a little issue with FreeNAS 7, when I select the shut down option from the guy

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 06:53 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi there, I'm aving a little issue with FreeNAS 7, when I select the shut down option from the guy the system do it, but the computer does not shut down, no matter how long I wait I keep on hearing the noise of the fun spinning. The used to shut down normally with WinXP, but I don't know where to look at in the BIOS, or in the system.
That is particularely annoying cause I don't know when I can switch off via physical button, and I'm always in fear of causing damages to the hard drive.

The mother board is a MSI 945 CGM 478 but I have it hooked to the network by a Kraun KR.X5

I know there is a newer version of FreeNAS 7 that is NAS4Free, but I have some data on the NAS and I haven't backed it up yet, so I'm waiting for the free space needed for the backup before trying to update, 'cause I'm not that expert and I fear I could mess things around, lose my data and be sorry, so I prefer being safe atm and keep using FreeNAS 7.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Is the power light and hard disk activity light still on?
Does Freenas have any power options in it?
I'm thinking maybe it's defaulting to sleep mode rather then shutting off.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hello,

From FreeNas's forum: General NAS-Central Forums • View topic - FreeNAS not shutting down
Quote:
That is either an incompatibility in ACPI or APM, which makes the OS fail to actually switch off the box (And the box either reboots or waits forever for power-down), or a bug in the FreeNAS shutdown script, which causes the shutdown to fail.
Maybe you can get more information by connecting a monitor before shutting down.
Don't know how proficient you are on the commandline, when you remount all physical disks read-only, you can safely pull the plug. But I don't know how to do that on BSD.

BTW, I think you'd better seek for help on a FreeNas forum. This forum is about dedicated NAS hardware (and their firmware), while FreeNas is actually a FreeBSD distro for generic PC's.
Closed Thread