User Tag List

Firefox

This is a discussion on Firefox within the Other Operating systems forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I use FIREFOX version 67. In June they offered a security plug called MONITOR with a password one had to

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 07:17 PM   #1
Registered Member

I use FIREFOX version 67. In June they offered a security plug called MONITOR with a password one had to provide. Every time you used the internet this plug would request this password to proceed further. However, it does not only asks once but keeps asking every time one has to provide a password when contacting any website that requires a password though still being on the internet and still using this browser. This becomes a big nuisance especially when the password I gave FIRFOX is very complex as they suggested.

I want to get rid of this plug and contacted Mozilla/Firefox. They provided a way to get rid of it. (this is it: enter: "about:config" on their website, and follow instruction).
I did this several times without success. Inquiries to their support site were unanswered.
Then, I did a radical step and erased the hard drive and reinstalled my programs from a date prior to when I accepted this plug. To make sure, I deleted FIREFOX and all its profiles before erasing my hard drive and using the TIME MACHINE to reinstall my programs. However, this damned plug is still active. I am using Mac OSX High Sierra.

I am using computer daily for about 40 years and am very familiar with all thei features but have never encountered and wasting so much time as with this problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ersei
==========================================================
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2019, 05:59 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Was this the plug: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...fresh-monitor/ or a different one?

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:49 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hi, Corday,
Thanks for your reply.
However, there is a misunderstanding of my question.
I am not looking for a monitoring extension.
My problem is that I downloaded an extension from firefox which promised to notify when it sees a threat to my email. As they set it up, every time you use the internet, this extension would ask for their password.
As it turned out, however, they not only ask this password once at the moment you contact the internet but they keep asking for it every time you go another website, like from one program like AOL to GOOGLE for their password and if you do not give it, they don't let you put in the password of the site you want to contact.

They call this extension "MONITOR" and so you misunderstood what I was looking for. Not a monitoring software but deleting an extensio by that name. My fault, I should have been more precise.

BTW, the way they prevent you from getting rid off it, makes me think that there is another purpose to it. I used their instruction to delete it several times, but without success.

Again, thanks for your effort,

ersei.
===============================================================
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2019, 10:08 PM   #4
Security Team

Can you give us a link to the specific extension you're talking about, because there are a number of extensions that use the name Monitor.

Firefox Monitor is also the name of a "Feature" built into Firefox by default, which is used to see whether your e-mail data has been "involved" in any data breaches.

See ... https://winaero.com/blog/mozilla-ena...on-firefox-67/

As such, as I understand it, it can't be removed, it can only be enabled and disabled.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:11 PM   #5
Registered Member

Hi, Corday,
This is not the plug in question.
This was one of the three replies I received from Firefox support.
I will shortly send you the other replies which dealt with the right plug but did not work.
I appreciate your readiness to help.
ersei
================================================================
Old 08-03-2019, 10:31 PM   #6
Security Team

Please read my last post, and let me know if the feature I've described is what you are talking about.
Old 08-04-2019, 12:05 AM   #7
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Is Firefox Monitor what you're talking about? If so, it doesn't and shouldn't affect how you access other websites, and it is not installed on Firefox or your computer in any way. It is just a service that you opt in or out of, to get alerts about data breaches in which the provided email address has been involved. It is not an extension or plugin that needs to be added to or removed from Firefox. To get alerts, you have to sign up for a Firefox Account, which can be done using any browser, not necessarily Firefox. To opt out of these alerts, you sign into the Firefox Monitor Dashboard and disable the preference for breach alerts, or to completely opt out of the entire service, you use the Remove Firefox Monitor link which is also under the same preferences page. More details are available here https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...monitor-alerts

If your issue involved installing any plugin or add-on, I'm afraid that's something else you're talking about, not Firefox Monitor. The only entry in about:config for Firefox Monitor is services.settings.main.fxmonitor-breaches.last_check and it doesn't enable or disable the service.
Closed Thread