Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Other Operating systems

User Tag List

Extracting the text from Gutenberg (.gut) files

This is a discussion on Extracting the text from Gutenberg (.gut) files within the Other Operating systems forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Does anybody know how to extract the text from the Gutenberg database files (.gut) it uses for it's collection of

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
Registered Member

Question

Does anybody know how to extract the text from the Gutenberg database files (.gut) it uses for it's collection of books?
I'd like to be able to read them in my kindle but am unable to right click and copy the text after highlighting it, to import it into Calibre for converting.
I'm Guessing the program disables the right click function rather than it being images because, although the files are big, 20 to over a 100 MBs, there are literaly thousand of books in each file. Also, I've read that .gut files are some form of database. yet I can find no information on the web about the .gut file.
The program it uses, Gutenberg.exe, is a very simple program with 3 tabs, 'Search, Book, and Web Page', but only the first one, 'Search' seems to have any real function, at least as far as I can tell. And since it doesn't have a help file I can't tell.
It looks like the project ended in 2004 as nothing has been updated since then, despite promises to do so. Everything is still up on the web though: Project Gutenberg - Browse Files at SourceForge.net

There must be a program or some way out there that can help me do this, as the stories are great and I'd like to read them in an enviroment that wont kill my eyes. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help please--Trojan!
I lent my laptop to a friend and when I got it back, there was no new software installed (and he said he did not do anything but use Microsoft Word). However, when searching the web, I started getting redirected to advertising sites and completely unrelated sites. This started increasing and I...
flowingwillow Resolved HJT Threads 18 07-26-2011 06:32 PM
Computer Freezing randomly for long periods
Hey Guys! This started about a month ago, out of the blue, the computer would freeze up, at random times and just stay frozen for awhile, nothing I input in the keyboard would work. Start-up times are now about 3-5 minutes long. Also it is a HP DV6 laptop that has a malfunctioning battery,...
signordirt Inactive Malware Help Topics 3 07-06-2011 08:43 AM
Google redirect/ disabled windows security center
Hi, I've been having a problem with google/pretty much any search engine redirecting the links I click on to other pages. It actually takes a few tries before the correct page opens. The windows security center service also gives me the message that it can't be started (it's set on disabled in...
mazenka Resolved HJT Threads 9 07-03-2011 05:10 AM
Please4 Help!! Google redirects!
Hello, I have had this problem for a few days now, every link i click on in google redirects me to some other page that looks like it could contain viruses itself. I have Mcafee and spybot, i have also run ccleaner just to clean up things. But nothing has eliminated the problem! Spybot...
jess7aylor Inactive Malware Help Topics 3 05-25-2011 08:33 AM
Computer running slow
Hi all! I've been advised by Dai on Windows 7 pages to look for malware or spyware. My computer gets increadibly slow when used after an hour or two. I reach 100% of used CPU just by using Word. Here is my DSS and the attach.txt compressed attached. Thanks to everyone and to the existence...
evan.morchoisne Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help 14 02-25-2011 10:50 AM