Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Other Operating systems

User Tag List

Are downloads retained?

This is a discussion on Are downloads retained? within the Other Operating systems forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Situation: I dl'd a work file directly to a thumb drive. But I'm embarrassed to say that I misplaced the

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 08:57 AM   #1
Vetustior Humo

Situation: I dl'd a work file directly to a thumb drive. But I'm embarrassed to say that I misplaced the drive. The problem is that we use a file transfer site that is a one-time only site. So my question is: is there a copy hidden somewhere in the computer? It does show up in recent files but points to the nonexistent thumb.

Thanks as always, yustr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2017, 09:00 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Open File Explorer and choose Downloads. See what you have.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:22 AM   #3
Vetustior Humo

Nothing remotely similar in downloads. Anything hiding in the bowels of Windows 10 that I can check?
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2017, 08:28 AM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

First in the File Explorer click on where something might be and if applicable "Restore Previous Versions". Second, the less you've used the computer, the less chance you've overwritten a sector of the HD where the info is. Use Recuva to retrieve it. I've never tried finding "lost" downloads so I don't know for sure they'll actually show in the files Recuva finds. They are still somewhere on your discs free space.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:52 AM   #5
Troubled

Great advice Corday!
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mysterious slow downloads
I've had this problem for a few months now. Some, but not all, of my downloads are intolerably slow. It's not a general internet speed issue; speed tests clock in at the expected rate (1.5-2 MB/s), and surfing webpages feels normal. The downloads in question are through websites like Keep2share,...
MedFive File and Application Sharing 1 03-01-2015 02:51 PM
downloads has disappeard also FF is running slow at times
I use save image to downloads a lot (sandboxed) for my blog. This morning, I can't do it - no downloads to be found and I've tried unsandboxed and rebooting several times. When I go to check what I want downloads isn't an option at the left anymore (however, seems to be on top in the username >...
tierra Mozilla/Firefox Browsers 1 08-03-2014 07:35 AM
New Windows 8 lost downloads folder, Chrome settings, system tweaks after 1st reboot?
Setup fresh Windows 8 install yesterday, today files and system settings went missing or reverted? Fresh Windows 8 misplaced downloads folder, Chrome settings, system tweaks ect? Yesterday I was setting up a fresh install of Windows 8 during which I downloaded some files into the default ...
GasFlagPolice Windows 8, 8.1 Support 3 04-20-2013 10:10 AM
~*~Mixed Bag of Problems~*~
Hi, everyone! I have had a lot of problems with my computer lately and I'm hoping someone would be able to help me out. The most pressing issue right now is that my e-mail is sending out Spam links when I'm not even on my computer. The first time it happened, I changed my password, but tonight the...
TabbyCat725 Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help 156 07-09-2012 07:50 PM
IE9-To turn off the Info Bar for file downloads
Hi there, I know exactly where to go in IE9 to attempt to make the change I require, concerning : To turn off the Information bar for file downloads However, when I click on the appropriate TOOLS, INTERNET OPTIONS, SECURITY Tab, CUSTOM LEVEL, in IE9 there doesn't appear to be any...
Safari700 Internet Explorer & Edge Forum 4 03-30-2011 02:05 AM