Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Other Operating systems

User Tag List

acer aspire t180 operating system HELP

This is a discussion on acer aspire t180 operating system HELP within the Other Operating systems forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. HI to all, and thanks for inviting me to you tech support forum for others that like computing. my computer

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 11:43 AM   #1
Registered Member

Roll Eyes

HI to all, and thanks for inviting me to you tech support forum for others that like computing. my computer is an acer aspire t180-ub7z, i know it is a very old machine, but i would like to be able to get it running for rare use and only using things like google or copying files. At the moment it turns on, some times a black screen appears telling me that the cmos frequency needs to be reset. I googles what this means, and took the battery out, for some time (around 7-8 hours), later i put the battery in and this problem was solved. However on the operating system my login comes up but my password (which i'm sure is right) always appears to be incorrect.

I would like to remove the windows vista that is on the hard drive, to replace it with some thing like linux/ubuntu. I'm not sure if this is possible and that is why i'm on this forum. all replies are appreciated, many thanks!

Oh, yeah i do realise that it is 10 years old and wont cry if it does not work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2016, 10:10 AM   #2
Alternative Computing

OS: Linux Mint 17.3 (KDE 4.14), Debian 8, Arch. Languages: Python3, Javascript, CSS3, HTML, Bash

My System

Yes download the CD/DVD of either Ubuntu or Linux Mint, insert into your laptop and boot from the CD/DVD in live mode. It should work with your laptop and pickup sound video and network and you should be able to browse even in live mode.
If all is ok then you can do an install, it will wipe Vista from your drive so you dont need to worry about your password
Old 02-28-2016, 04:07 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for that, i tried doing it with ubuntu on a usb, works with my laptop, but with the pc it gives me an error on black screen, first it says ubuntu with loading dots, then the black screen and it says...

unable to find medium containing a live file system

I have no clue what this means, i need more help because its not working
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2016, 01:17 PM   #4
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Considering the age of the system you should hopefully be trying older versions of Ubuntu and Mint I hope..

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Closed Thread