Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Other Operating systems

User Tag List

7" Windows CE Netbook - Battery Charging Circuit problem

This is a discussion on 7" Windows CE Netbook - Battery Charging Circuit problem within the Other Operating systems forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I ordered one of these cheap 7" windows CE netbooks for my friend, and there was a power surge after

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 03:04 PM   #1
Registered Member

I ordered one of these cheap 7" windows CE netbooks for my friend, and there was a power surge after 1 week that seems to have blown the charging circuit. The netbook will run off direct power from the charger (which also blew in the surge and was replaced), but will no longer charge the battery. The problem with that is that we have very frequent power outages so it is not always effective to use off direct power. I swapped batteries with another netbook and found that the battery is working fine, and charges, but will not charge in his netbook (nor will another good battery I tried).

I saw on another closed thread that someone had gotten it to run off of 6 AA batteries. I want to help him fix the battery issue, and I think making a 6 AA rechargeable battery pack might be a good solution. However, if anyone knows where to find a replacement for the charging circuit, or an alternative way to charge the battery I think that would be the best solution.

I've also got Android 2.2 up and running on this, and have been able to install Aptoide to download apps such as facebook (It's nice to be able to use facebook chat with this device!). I also found that Android runs video smoothly such as downloaded youtube videos, while the Windows CE system was very sluggish with video. Even the sound from the speakers seems to be louder on the android system. I'm trying now to get a 3g modem working with android so that it can have a mobile internet connection.

If anyone has run the netbook off of AA batteries, how long does the netbook last on 6 AA batteries for you? Do you have any tips on how I can make a battery holder? Do you just wire the batteries directly into the battery connector? Can you use the charger while the batteries are connected?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2011, 10:22 PM   #2
Registered Member

I replaced an old laptops batteries with some high capacity aa batteries. I rebuilt the battery pack with them and it works fine. As far as running the netbook off aa (as in replacing the power cord with a aa pack) you need to look at your battery pack to find the voltage and mah rating on it, mine was 9.6v and 4000mah.
Find some aa batteries that will add up to your voltage and have the highest mah. aa batteries are 1.5v each. Grab a battery pack from radio shack, prob a 6 pack case. Now wire up a connector off an old power cord that matches your netbook and it should work.
Good luck
Old 09-20-2011, 01:44 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you for your reply! I will try to get ahold of a 6 aa holder but I'm in Tanzania, East Africa right now so I'm not sure where I'll get it. Thought about taping them together but then I don't think I could charge them in sequence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2011, 01:10 PM   #4
Registered Member

So I pieced together a series of 6 batteries adding up to 7.2V (which was what my original battery was rated at - 7.2 1800mAh).

I used 4 AAA (900mAh) along with 2 AA (2500 mAh) energizer rechargeable batteries and strung them all together.

When I plugged it in, it showed me the android logo for about 2 seconds, then the screen went all wacky and it started to hiss through the speakers. Naturally, I unplugged it.

Fortunately it still works with DC power. I also tried 4 and 5 batteries, and I got only the hissing without the screen craziness.

Now... Is there a problem using 4 AAA and 2 AA batteries as opposed to 6 of the same kind? Could that be causing my problem, or is it just that I have the wrong voltage? Does the mAh of the batteries matter? I suppose if I had a multimeter it would show me the true voltage rating of my setup versus the original battery, but I'm just not sure how I should proceed with this.

Thanks again for your input!
Closed Thread