Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Mozilla/Firefox Browsers

User Tag List

What in the world does that in firefox, very annoying!

This is a discussion on What in the world does that in firefox, very annoying! within the Mozilla/Firefox Browsers forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi I browse Ebay a lot, I am a collector. After a little while of browsing, let's say 2 hours,

Like Tree3Likes
Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 06:49 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi

I browse Ebay a lot, I am a collector.
After a little while of browsing, let's say 2 hours, Ebay does not load anymore.
This happens at the same time in Firefox and safari (I don't use I.E. which does not work on my system with Ebay.)
I get a security error or the Ebay pages do not load correctly.
I am attaching 2 pics. I have windstream WI-FI, could they be the culprit?

Thxs a lot

Patrick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Safari-error.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	323648   Click image for larger version

Name:	Firefox-error.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	323650  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2019, 08:26 AM   #2
Registered Member

Run a speed test and report results. Download, upload speed and ping. Are you (or anyone else) running anything on the Wifi that might slow down internet connection speed? Torrents, video streaming, games, etc...
Old 05-27-2019, 08:41 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Whittle View Post
Run a speed test and report results. Download, upload speed and ping. Are you (or anyone else) running anything on the Wifi that might slow down internet connection speed? Torrents, video streaming, games, etc...
Only me on internet when it happens and wife on her phone using wi-fi, she sometimes plays youtube videos but not all day.
No torrents or games being ran.
I am not sure how to run a speed test but I did a bing search and it let me do one.

I got:

Ping <1ms
Download 19.11 Mbps
Upload 150.73 Kbps

Thanks so much for helping me.

Pat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2019, 09:00 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaindioux View Post

Ping <1ms
Download 19.11 Mbps
Upload 150.73 Kbps
Well this is very weird. First disclaimer I'm no expert on internet, etc... but these numbers are very odd. First, Ping usually looks like "135" ms (microseconds) to me, and I very much doubt you have less than 1 ms ping. Second while download looks normal, unless you made a typo, 150 kbps is also highly suspect. I don't question your internet speed, I question the actual numbers. They don't even look normal enough to be able to call them "bad".

1) What test did you use? Please post link.
2) Use this test, and post results from it.
3) Do the test you did again, and see if the numbers you get look anything like what you just posted.
4) Double check what the results are vs. what you typed. Maybe you made some kind of error. BIG difference between Kbps and Mbps. That single character makes a lot of difference.

Typical numbers might look like:

Ping 80 ms
Download 5 Mbps
Upload 2 Mbps

These numbers will vary depending on the quality of your internet service. These are "slow numbers" for lower-end service, higher numbers might be up to 200 Mbps or more.

If these numbers ARE accurate (as far as they are actually being reported), I would immediately be looking at a hardware problem. Cable modem, wireless router, cables, internet card, etc... meaning not software. And by software meaning either something hogging your bandwidth. But software also includes malware, meaning infection, and while not ruling it out, IMO it's less likely.

Do you have any other symptoms you think are odd? Looking for signs of infection in order to not think about them at this point. Meaning I'm expecting and hoping for a "No". Also some sense of time & sequence. When did this start happening. Did it ever work right, and then it didn't? Did some event happen at the same time the problem started, such as hardware replacement, new device on the network, etc... ANY kind of event. Thunderstorm with lightning strike. Installed new software. Ran Windows Update. Your teenage nephew came to visit and spent time on the computer. Anything.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:43 AM   #5
Registered Member

Hi

I did the test again via bing.com, I am joining a picture. I tripled checked that I was typing it correctly the first time, no typos.
Here is the link:
https://www.bing.com/search?q=speed+...RM=CHRDEF&sp=1

2)Ran the test with speedtest.com, I am attaching a pic.
Ping: 11 Ms
Download: 12.70 Mbps
Upload: 2.40 Mbps

3) I am not computer savy enough to figure out if it is a hardware problem. Last change was about 2 years ago, a new graphic card.

4) No malware, virus infection that I know of. I have had that before and believe me I know when I am infected.

5) I used to use I.E. all the time and had the same problem. I called Ebay and they said that Ebay works better with safari, and overall it's true but I still had some of the Ebay pages not loading too with I.E. So I is not a browser problem as the 3 i have do it. This problem has been occuring for a while now, maybe 2 years?
It doesn't happen right away but after 1 or 2 hours of browsing.

Thxs so much for the help

Pat
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SPEEDTESTDOTCOM.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	323660   Click image for larger version

Name:	SPEEDTESTBING.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	323662  
Old 05-27-2019, 10:40 AM   #6
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Your speeds are OK. See if a firmware update is available for your router.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:42 AM   #7
Registered Member

Hi

Is it safe to do a firmware update? I have a Sisco linksys router, I went to the Cisco page to update the firmware and it was a little scary.
Is there anything else to try prior to do the update?

Thx again

Pat
Old 05-27-2019, 12:17 PM   #8
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

https://www.wikihow.com/Update-Router-Firmware

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:06 PM   #9
Registered Member

Thanks Corday I will give it a shot.

Pat
Old 05-27-2019, 03:15 PM   #10
Registered Member

11ms ping is very low, and very good.
Do you use any kind of ad-blockers on your computer? Do you have anti-virus installed, and if so what? Particularly, do you have MULTIPLE anti-virus softwares installed?

I hate to say this, but unless Corday has specific reason for the firmware update, I don't think a newbie should be doing it. I'd rather go slow, have the OP isolate the system, and look at other things. Particularly using directions from "WikiHow" which are general and not manufacturer & model specific. The OP needs his hand held as much as possible. If I were to try to get the OP to reflash the firmware on this router, I'd at least want the model # and see if there were any directions from the manufacturer. Second I wonder how likely it is to fix anything. Unless there's a known issue with Linksys routers.

The OP's problem seems intermittent, computer-specific and it's on WiFi. What if the OP plugs his (presumably laptop) into the cable modem via LAN and suddenly everything starts working? Point is there's a lot of other things that could be done first. Unless there's something I don't know here.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:24 PM   #11
Registered Member

I just thought of this, and another thing.

If there are other nearby wireless devices* (like a router) and they are on the same channel, the two wireless signals will interfere with each other, and they could cause something like this. My old wireless router has channels that you have to change manually, and my new wireless router automatically detects conflicts and changes the channel for you. Maybe Corday knew this and hence the firmware upgrade?

Anyways, please post manufacturer (Linksys) and model # (not serial number) of your wireless router.

I assume it's a laptop, please confirm.

I also assume you have a LAN (ethernet, Cat5) port on the laptop. Turn off the wireless (usually a keyboard keystroke) take a piece of Cat5 cable and plug the computer into (whatever, router, cable modem) and see if the problem disappears. If yes you have a wireless-only problem, which then narrows the scope of things to look into. If no, then well, (lol) maybe the router/modem is hardware broken. Maybe a bad cable somewhere. Have you tried rebooting your cable modem. It's usually a dumb suggestion from the ISP Tech Support, but it actually fixes some things often enough that it's worth trying.

Is the "wireless router" a separate piece of hardware than the "cable modem", or are they in the same box? Also, you can call the ISP (Spectrum, ATT, whoever) and ask them to test your cable modem. There's a log inside they can read remotely for things like "dropped packets" (or whatever mumbo-jumbo). Meaning they might remotely look at your cable modem, conclude it's bad and authorize you to take it back and get a new one.

*"nearby" could mean the neighbor next door. I once had a problem that took DAYS to solve. The neighbor's router next door was on the exact same channel as my client. At least 40 feet away, through two exterior walls and one of them was brick and the other was stucco. (There's a wire mesh in stucco.).
Old 05-28-2019, 01:08 AM   #12
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Tyron, while we appreciate your enthusiasm in helping members, but you seem to be making a lot of assumptions and also some of the solutions are not apt for this scenario , a Wireless interference or switching to Wired is not the right approach to troubleshoot the issue and neither is contacting the ISP or checking the physical connections. You're overwhelming the OP with a lot of suggestions which can lead to a lot of complications and can probably break things rather than fix them, you need to keep in mind the OP is not tech savy.

The error faced by the OP is specific to the Browser, root certs, OS and AV filters.

For starters, @vaindioux I see you're using Avira, since you're facing the issue with all browsers, as a test, disable Web filtering, SSL protocol scanning and Web AV (or you can shutdown Avira completely, only a temporary step for testing and then use only Ebay and see if this helps you. Remember to turn Avira back on after the test is complete

Else, post back and we will provide the next steps, personally, I'd go with Corday's recommendation for a firmware upgrade, since it helps fix vulnerabilities in the router and also helps with unstable router performance/speeds, but it has to be done with caution or it can brick your router.
Stancestans likes this.

Old 05-28-2019, 06:27 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristar View Post
For starters, @vaindioux I see you're using Avira, since you're facing the issue with all browsers, as a test, disable Web filtering, SSL protocol scanning and Web AV (or you can shutdown Avira completely, only a temporary step for testing and then use only Ebay and see if this helps you. Remember to turn Avira back on after the test is complete

Else, post back and we will provide the next steps, personally, I'd go with Corday's recommendation for a firmware upgrade, since it helps fix vulnerabilities in the router and also helps with unstable router performance/speeds, but it has to be done with caution or it can brick your router.

Hi

Sorry about the delay but I work crazy hours and get online when I can during the week.
Ok so you want me to turn Avira off and try to browse Ebay right?

If you care to know my router is a Cisco linksys Model # WRT160N V3

I am freaking out about messing with the router. What does "It can brick your router " mean?
I think if there is a big risk of me messing things up I won't touch the router and just deal with the annoying Ebay browsing sessions.
I forgot to say but I have noticed that when the Ebay browsing starts acting up, if I disconnect the wi-fi from my PC and reconnect it, 50% of the time when I reload the Ebay page, it will work normally. It's like the lottery, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
I will try the browsing without Avira on Sunday as I don't have the time during the week and saturday.

Thanks again

Pat
Old 05-29-2019, 12:57 AM   #14
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

"Bricking" means an update failure which will kill your router, I've never personally experienced this in all the upgrades I've ever done, it's smooth and straight forward, but let's hold off on the upgrade for now.

Yes, either selectively disable the Web features in Avira or disable it completely, (only as a temporary step for testing, this needs to be turned back on immediately after the test is complete)

Sure Pat, let us know once you get a chance to test.

Old 06-02-2019, 08:07 AM   #15
Registered Member

Hi

I have now been browsing Ebay with Avira off for 1 and 1/2 hours and it's been working fine. Of course as soon as I post this and go back to Ebay I will get an issue I am sure LOL.
I will post an update later on to let you know if it's still working fine.

Pat
Old 06-02-2019, 12:08 PM   #16
Registered Member

Hi

Well I have been browsing some more, and no issues. Avira could be the culprit. I just enabled it again. What can be done to have Avira enabled and my Ebay browsing working right?

Thanks

Pat
Old 06-02-2019, 10:23 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
Your speeds are OK. See if a firmware update is available for your router.
Quote:
...you seem to be making a lot of assumptions...
My assumption was based on the idea that there was a problem with the router.

Quote:
suggestions which can lead to a lot of complications and can probably break things rather than fix them
Such as having a non tech savvy User updating the firmware on a router as a 1st response. Checking for wireless conflicts doesn't risk bricking the router.

Quote:
keep in mind the OP is not tech savy.
Since the OP is not tech savvy, he can't be relied on to give an accurate assessment of his symptoms.

Quote:
...some of the solutions are not apt for this scenario , a Wireless interference or switching to Wired is not the right approach to troubleshoot the issue and neither is contacting the ISP or checking the physical connections.
Switching to wired connection is a safe troubleshooting step for a non tech savvy User. It rules wireless in or out as the cause, without an attempt at a firmware update, using a link from the authoritative and reliable computer troubleshooting website "WikiHow".

Quote:
and neither is contacting the ISP or checking the physical connections.
Both of these are safer than updating the firmware on the router. Also I question whether or not you can rule-out the modem based on the information given by the OP.

Quote:
The error faced by the OP is specific to the Browser, root certs, OS and AV filters.
One, it was two browsers, and so not "browser specific", and two how can you know this based on the information given by the OP. Also I'm not certain AV's even have filters. That sounds like techno mumbo-jumbo what one normally gets from people that don't know anything about computer troubleshooting. How can a "filter" possibly slow down an internet connection, possibly from a single site (eBay). Seems to me that if the AV were doing this as a legitimate (but misguided function) the access to the site would either be ON, or OFF. Can you post a link showing the existence of these "AV filters"? I don't believe in unicorns, either. Finally, since the OP had "bad internet" when the AV was turned on, and now has "good internet" with the AV turned off, I wonder why. Since when does AV block and/or slow-down commonly used sites like eBay? I wonder if the malware that was interfering with his internet connection is now free to do whatever it wants because the AV has been turned off. If he's a large enough scale eBay marketer, and doing financial transfers via his computer, I can easily see how someone might want to record that information (credit card numbers, etc...) Sometimes the "screen shot" function of keyloggers, and possibly malware, slow the computer down. Maybe it slows the internet connection too.

Plus explain his really weird and bad internet speed and ping numbers at first.

Also "bricking" means that the firmware update fails such that the router is permanently broken, heavy emphasis on the word "permanently", and I was not the one that made this suggestion. I simply reacted to it in as non-confrontational a manner as possible. Telling a User to update his firmware and giving a link to a "general how to" without even knowing the exact make & model of the router, instead of giving the User a link to the specific instructions for that specific router is what should have been done, and was not. I was making the best of a situation that was created elsewhere.

Bottom line: The OP didn't try to update the firmware on his router as a 1st response to a problem that seems to be caused by something to do with the AV. Or malware. I call that a "win". And now I've raised the spectre of malware. All in all, a good day, AFAIC.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:15 AM   #18
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Whittle View Post
My assumption was based on the idea that there was a problem with the router.
There is no evidence that there was an issue with the router.

Quote:
Since the OP is not tech savvy, he can't be relied on to give an accurate assessment of his symptoms.
Most OPs aren't, that's the reason for asking probing questions instead of assuming what could be the issue.

Quote:
Switching to wired connection is a safe troubleshooting step for a non tech savvy User. It rules wireless in or out as the cause, without an attempt at a firmware update, using a link from the authoritative and reliable computer troubleshooting website "WikiHow".
That is an inaccurate analysis of the issue and in this case it's not required, because there is a near zero chance of the connection being the issue.

Quote:
Both of these are safer than updating the firmware on the router. Also I question whether or not you can rule-out the modem based on the information given by the OP.
You still haven't got a grasp of what the issue is.

Quote:
One, it was two browsers, and so not "browser specific", and two how can you know this based on the information given by the OP. Also I'm not certain AV's even have filters. That sounds like techno mumbo-jumbo what one normally gets from people that don't know anything about computer troubleshooting. How can a "filter" possibly slow down an internet connection, possibly from a single site (eBay). Seems to me that if the AV were doing this as a legitimate (but misguided function) the access to the site would either be ON, or OFF. Can you post a link showing the existence of these "AV filters"? I don't believe in unicorns, either. Finally, since the OP had "bad internet" when the AV was turned on, and now has "good internet" with the AV turned off, I wonder why. Since when does AV block and/or slow-down commonly used sites like eBay? I wonder if the malware that was interfering with his internet connection is now free to do whatever it wants because the AV has been turned off. If he's a large enough scale eBay marketer, and doing financial transfers via his computer, I can easily see how someone might want to record that information (credit card numbers, etc...) Sometimes the "screen shot" function of keyloggers, and possibly malware, slow the computer down. Maybe it slows the internet connection too.
That's a lot of rambling and ranting, but same answer, you actually don't have a clue what the issue is..... And now you're just embarrassing yourself by showing your ignorance....

Quote:
Plus explain his really weird and bad internet speed and ping numbers at first.
Unless I know what the OPs internet speed is, or what is being paid for, I don't get to decide whether the speed is "good" or "bad", which is where I'd ask the OP for the speed that is assured by his ISP, instead of coining it as "bad".

Quote:
Also "bricking" means that the firmware update fails such that the router is permanently broken, heavy emphasis on the word "permanently", and I was not the one that made this suggestion. I simply reacted to it in as non-confrontational a manner as possible. Telling a User to update his firmware and giving a link to a "general how to" without even knowing the exact make & model of the router, instead of giving the User a link to the specific instructions for that specific router is what should have been done, and was not. I was making the best of a situation that was created elsewhere.
I never said you made the suggestion and you weren't confrontational then (but now you're getting defensive and confrontational, so I'd like to change my vote to Yes on the confrontational part, just to keep things in perspective), that's another one of your assumptions, my point merely is that you're basing your recommendations on your assumptions, this is not correct, but yes, I agree that we should have provided more detailed information to the user.

Quote:
Bottom line: The OP didn't try to update the firmware on his router as a 1st response to a problem that seems to be caused by something to do with the AV. Or malware. I call that a "win". And now I've raised the spectre of malware. All in all, a good day, AFAIC.
It's not due to Malware :S but due to one of the filters/modules in the AV, and you still don't have a clue what the issue is... Maybe a little less ranting and rambling and a little more thinking and logical deduction should slowly get you there...
Stancestans and satrow like this.

Old 06-03-2019, 02:22 AM   #19
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaindioux View Post
Hi

Well I have been browsing some more, and no issues. Avira could be the culprit. I just enabled it again. What can be done to have Avira enabled and my Ebay browsing working right?

Thanks

Pat
Good to know we've sort of narrowed down the issue, please ensure your Avira is enabled again. Then go to Settings in Avira, and under Web protection, try adding www.ebay.com in the Exceptions under Web protection, let's see what happens after.

Old 06-04-2019, 02:28 PM   #20
Registered Member

Tristar

Thxs for the help again. I don't find settings in Avira, and I really feel stupid about it. I am not tech savy like you but I know how to use a PC.
I am pasting a screenshot of what I see when I open Avira. If you could tell me where to click.

Thxs

Pat
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Avira.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	323760  
Closed Thread