Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Mozilla/Firefox Browsers

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Open new browse window at same location as current window

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Open new browse window at same location as current window within the Mozilla/Firefox Browsers forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I would like to be able to open a new browser window in Firefox which would start at the identical

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 04:53 AM   #1
Registered Member

I would like to be able to open a new browser window in Firefox which would start at the identical location to the one that's open rather than opening at the home page.

In IE, File / New / Window works well for this purpose, and then if you wanted it to start at the Home Page, you could just run Explorer a second time.

It gives the flexibility of going off on other trails with the additional window, but still having the original window open. I'm not crazy about tabs which take up extra space in the browsing window. However, is there even a way to open a new tab at the same location as the current window? Maybe I'm missing the joy of tabs somehow and am stuck in my old way of thinking. Still, I would like to know if what I want is possible.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2009, 06:07 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Hi I don't think that is an option but I understand what your after and this is the way I do it with keyboard short cuts of

Ctrl + C = copy (While holding down Ctrl tap the C key once)
Ctrl + V = paste
Ctrl + T = new tab
Ctrl + N = New page

OK starting with tabs which I think is the best thing since sliced bread. You have the page open that you want to start with go up to the URL at the top of the page (do it with this page) click only once on the URL this will highlight it or if you like to say select it.

Now to copy the URL Ctrl + C your computer will remember this link until you either copy something else or you shut down the computer.

Now we open a new tab Ctrl + T a new blank tab will open and the URL location is blank but with the cursor already in it so we paste the URL there by Ctrl + V and tap the enter key and you have the duplicate page

Now working with a new page there is just a couple of small differences.

You have the page open that you want to start with go up to the URL at the top of the page (once again do it with this page) click only once on the URL this will highlight it or if you like to say select it.

Now we open a new page with Ctrl + N a new page will open but the difference is it will not be blank it will be your home page so as there is already a URL that we want to get rid of. The simple way is to once again click on it only once to select it then paste the saved URL by Ctrl + V and tap the enter key and you have your duplicate page. I may have made this sound involved but just try it once and you will see it's quite simple.

Another thing I do is when I have a google search page open or a page with several links I want to look at.

I hold down Ctrl while I click on links that way I still have my original page and everything opens in new tabs.

To err is human but to really mess things up, you need a computer.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:45 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the tips. They helped a bit, but the main problem is that I like to be able to go "Back" from either window at any time through the whole browse session. Opening a new tab and copying and pasting the URL to get an identical window open doesn't allow you to go Back and then you have to remember which one has the history in it.

I'm no fan of IE (except for this feature--allowing you to have multiple windows open, each with the same browse history). I had hoped there would be a way to do it in Firefox, but I suspect you're right--there isn't a way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2009, 05:37 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

These browsers are always competing and copying each others ideas so it may come. Have you tried Google Chrome I don't know if it is available there.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:55 PM   #5
Registered Member

Finally, when I was least expecting it, I solved my own problem.

In Firefox, to open a new tab AT THE SAME LOCATION AS THE PREVIOUS , so you can roam around starting from the same page and still have the original tab open to go back to without having to go back, back, etc. and sometimes losing your place.

The answer is to drag the Tab you want to the right and it will copy it!!! Hope someone else finds this of use. Now Firefox is 1000 times more useful to me than before.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:21 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Good one

Old 06-16-2009, 08:44 AM   #7
Registered Member

Sorry, in my previous posting I should have said, CTRL drag the tab to copy the Firefox tab. Just dragging the tab doesn't work.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:24 AM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

I'm away from my computer for a bit over a week but I will check it out when I get back.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:50 AM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

Got home last night after being away for a week and a half and just tried it. That's a handy one

Closed Thread