Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Mozilla/Firefox Browsers

User Tag List

[SOLVED] FF22 forcing YouTube to be HTTPS

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] FF22 forcing YouTube to be HTTPS within the Mozilla/Firefox Browsers forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Why is Firefox 22 forcing YouTube pages to be HTTPS rather than HTTP? I have them bookmarked as HTTP, yet

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 11:59 PM   #1
Registered Member

Why is Firefox 22 forcing YouTube pages to be HTTPS rather than HTTP? I have them bookmarked as HTTP, yet they are now showing up as HTTPS. With this new setup, the preview images for other videos on a video page are not showing up. Safari and Opera browsers are still accessing YouTube as HTTP, so it cannot be the site doing that switch. Is there some way to stop this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
Registered Member

With more testing, I found it was Disconnect (an extension) forcing the HTTPS. Removing it has stopped that conversion, but the video thumbnail images are still blocked. How do I fix that?
Old 06-28-2013, 03:10 AM   #3
Registered Member

Do you have javascript on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2013, 11:20 PM   #4
Registered Member

Yes. I need javascript to use Flash. It is not the videos that are blocked, but the thumbnail preview images on the right side of the video window.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:15 AM   #5
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Disable all your extensions and restart Firefox. If the video thumbnails now appear as normal, enable your extensions one at a time, restarting Firefox after each one, until the problem reappears. It sounds like it could be some kind of ad/content blocker that's not setup correctly.

Disable Social Media Buttons: adblockplus.org/en/features#socialmedia
Old 07-01-2013, 12:15 AM   #6
Registered Member

The blocking of the thumbnails happens in Firefox safe mode, so it is not an extension causing the problem. Could it be a setting in about:config that causes problems with FF22 (but not previous versions)? Why should ytimg.com send images with a different URL to Firefox compared with Opera?
Old 07-01-2013, 11:03 AM   #7
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

Check the Important Modified Preferences section of about:troubleshooting.

It's quite possible that it's some profile corruption, the older the profile is (the more updates that have been done to it), the higher the chances of this happening. Also, old, uninstalled Add-ons may still leave settings that could be interfering.

The Reset Firefox button (about:troubleshooting) may help but you might need to go the whole way by creating a new profile and importing any required data (Bookmarks, passwords, etc.) from the old profile: Use the Profile Manager to create and remove Firefox profiles | Firefox Help
Old 07-02-2013, 01:37 AM   #8
Registered Member

I finally found it. It was a capability policy I had added to the prefs to block onunload. Taking that out has cured the problem. Thanks for the tip.
Closed Thread