Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Mozilla/Firefox Browsers

User Tag List

Firefox proxy login and login and login again

This is a discussion on Firefox proxy login and login and login again within the Mozilla/Firefox Browsers forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Firefox keeps asking me for the proxy username and password - on every page, often multiple times. I've just installed

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 01:52 AM   #1

Firefox keeps asking me for the proxy username and password - on every page, often multiple times.

I've just installed firefox on a WinXP laptop and plugged it into a university LAN. The set up is all pretty default, you know: 8080, exceptions for local addresses and so on. The connection seems fine, and IE (finally) seems to be okay, even downloading from Windows Update, which was a real pain to get to work, but that's another story.

When I start up a browser, I have to give a username and password for the proxy: same when I download something or run an Active X control. This isn't too bad. But on Firefox, on this machine, asks me for a username and password for every single page. Just once for a very simple page with no graphics or Javascript, and several times if there are multiple items on the page: I have to login 5 times before it will show Google. This is really annoying - as you can imagine.

Also, the Add-ons and the extensions for firefox won't down load, but set off a dialog saying that it can't install because of download error -228. According to https://kb.mozillazine.org/Unable_to_...oad_Error_-228 this may be due to a firewall or spybot incompatibility. I've got Trend Micro Office Scan client on the machine, and this works with a server on the university's server, as I understand it , if that makes any sense - I downloaded it from the IT department's antivirus page.

The Trend OfficeScan client's firewall is disabled, but I've got just a standard windows firewall installed, nothing special, and I can't see anything different on my machine than on the other machines that work fine. I've got a desktop with a Celeron processor on which Firefox runs fine. In fact, I don't have to login quite so often on that one either, even in IE.

Any ideas what I can do to stop Firefox asking for a proxy login every time it tries to download a page??

Quite a little conundrum for me anyway....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2006, 01:57 AM   #2

... and just to make things fun: If I download a Firefox extension to the desktop and open it in Firefox, it says "not a valid install package" , error -207 ...
Old 12-16-2006, 03:15 AM   #3
Roaming To Help

Press Alt+o>Advanced>Network>Connection: settings and choose a direct connection there.

See how that goes after a restart.

They don't install/download because your not configured correctly to connect
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2006, 04:13 AM   #4

Thanks Kalim, for the tip.

Alt+o doesn't bring up any dialog or anything. However if I go to Tools>Options>Advanced>Network>Connection: settings and choose a direct connection there, then (before and after a restart), what happens is that every web page times out. It can't connect to anything. Same with 'Auto-detect proxy settings'.

The thing is, the as far as I can see, Firefox has the same basic connection configuration as IE, and they both have the same connection configuration as on my Athlon (not celeron, sorry just checked) WinXP SP2 machine, which doesn't require me to log onto the proxy at all.

I'm sure you're right though: it is something to do with my configuration - just not sure what yet!
Old 12-16-2006, 04:41 AM   #5
Roaming To Help

Alt+o is the default shortcut in FF to bring up the Tools window. Thats strange that you say it didn't work unless you've changed Alt function over to Ctrl which I doubt.

I don't understand why you'd get timeout unless you actually use a proxy server to go through? Even though you stated that you use a LAN connection.

Do you have a router? a router firewall? A personal firewall?.. have you had a good net connection otherwise on your previous settings i..e with IE? Have you ever had this connection working and what settings did you choose there?

What version of Firefox are you running?
What extensions and themes do you have installed?

Some info needed. Thanks.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalim View Post
I don't understand why you'd get timeout unless you actually use a proxy server to go through? Even though you stated that you use a LAN connection.

Do you have a router? a router firewall? A personal firewall?.. have you had a good net connection otherwise on your previous settings i..e with IE? Have you ever had this connection working and what settings did you choose there?
Yep. In IE, I select
Internet Options>Connections>LAN settings
>Use a proxy server for your LAN
>[proxy.ouruniversity.ac.th 8080]>Advanced>[ditto for all]>[and then the local exceptions].

The set up in Firefox is exactly the same.

Options>Advanced>Network>Settings
>Use manual proxy
>[proxy.ouruniversity.....etc etc, just the same....]

Yes, on my Athlon desktop, the configuration of this screen is the same. Yes, it runs fine. I'm using it now to talk to you. I;m not in charge of the network ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalim View Post
What version of Firefox are you running?
What extensions and themes do you have installed?

Some info needed. Thanks.
None as yet: just set this laptop up and haven't been able to install any.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:10 PM   #7

This is where the problem seems to be:

Nav to
about:config ->
network.automatic-ntlm-auth.allow-proxies -> true
network.negotiate-auth.allow-proxies -> false

An illogical configuration perhaps, but it means I don't have this problem anymore. Thanks, Kalim for listening and giving me your time.

Details were here:

https://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=413899
Old 12-16-2006, 08:21 PM   #8

Still leaves a conundrum though: my Athlon has both of those set to true. There were some differences between the two set-ups as regards proxies, but making the two consistent didn't make my laptop work correctly. Odd, but perhaps it needs something on the university's servers to permit my laptop to connect properly ...
Old 12-17-2006, 02:35 PM   #9
Roaming To Help

I was aware of that particular config, but I didn't expect it to help. I thought it maybe a conflict somewhere initially. Your 2nd value should be false on your Athlon.

You're very welcome BTW.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:42 PM   #10

Just experimenting out of curiosity now.

If I set those parameters on the Athlon from True/true to true/false, then the Athlon requires that I log in when I start up Firefox, but not thereafter. If I keep them at true/true, I never have to log on.

On the Turion laptop, if I set the parameters to true/false, then I have to login in when I start up Firefox, but not thereafter, like on the Athlon. But, if I set the parameters to true/true, I have to login on every page at least once, but often more (60 times to get onto some pages at adobe.com, I kid you not, I counted).

Not a problem, I can tolerate typing the username and password a non-farcical number of times, but a curiosity none the less.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:58 AM   #11
Roaming To Help

Yes a pain.

I'll try looking into it when I get more time maybe tonight or tomorrow now. Make sure you have Firefox set as default browser aswell.. Post 6 is all you have to do as far as Fx is designed to do.
Closed Thread