Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Mozilla/Firefox Browsers

User Tag List

Cannot delete IMAP messages in Thunderbird

This is a discussion on Cannot delete IMAP messages in Thunderbird within the Mozilla/Firefox Browsers forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am a new member and this is my first post about Thunderbird email. Please excuse me if I posted

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 12:19 PM   #1
Registered Member

I am a new member and this is my first post about Thunderbird email. Please excuse me if I posted in the wrong place.

I am using Thunderbird 7.0.1 with IMAP on a Windows 7 Professional 32 bit machine. I have Thunderbird setup for IMAP.

When I delete a message on my Android Cell phone using IMAP the messages delete immediately.

Periodically like today, when I want to delete an email from my Thunderbird Inbox or from the Junk folder I repeated hit the delete key on the keyboard or from the toolbar and the messages do not delete - the email stays in the folder.

Sometimes the messages delete OK but many times like today they don't delete.

Since I do not have this issue with my Android phone I am thinking Thunderbird is not communicating with the server. My incoming and outgoing mail is always OK.

Does anyone have an idea what the problem may be and how to fix it?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2011, 07:47 AM   #2
Enthusiast

IMAP folder cannot be deleted - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
Old 10-29-2011, 08:57 AM   #3
Registered Member

I don't want to delete the IMAP folder - I was having troubles deleting emails in the IMAP folders.

I downloaded and installed the latest version of JAVA and that fixed mh problem.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2014, 12:42 AM   #4
Registered Member

Problems associated with deleting or moving email usually stem from failure to compact mail folders, especially inboxes. This is because deleted email is not removed from the application until you compact (expunge is the technical term). This can be done automatically by a setting in your email account. Manually is simple enough. On any mail folder do this: right click/compact or File/Compact Folders). This is especially important on inboxes but also, any folder from which you regularly delete/move email.

If you are experiencing problems you probably have a lot of uncompacted mail so be patient the first time and watch the activity bar for its status (at the bottom of the application).

Find more useful info here

Thunderbird Extremely Slow • mozillaZine Forums

--------------------------
rais

Post Posted January 7th, 2013, 6:47 pm
two things just for starters:

Archive all the mail currently in the Inbox
Archiving your e-mail - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

enable AutoCompact
Compacting fo - MozillaZine Knowledge Base ... omatically

Last edited by rais on January 8th, 2013, 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
----------------------------------
Closed Thread