Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > General Computer Security

User Tag List

Dell supplied system problem. Malware

This is a discussion on Dell supplied system problem. Malware within the General Computer Security forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi troops. While perusing various topics within the vast number of forum posts, I noticed that there was no reference

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Corday
Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 01:35 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi troops.
While perusing various topics within the vast number of forum posts, I noticed that there was no reference to this recently identified malware problem, that is apparently peculiar to Dell supplied systems.

I personally have not been affected, as the only Dell hardware I have is a Dell Monitor.

However it seems to me that this intrusive malware should be hobbled as soon as is possible.

I leave further research to those members who have Dell Systems and to the clearly very experienced members who are able to expand on the subject and who can provide the necessary methods to extinguish and nullify the effects of this potentially widespread infection.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/0...security_hole/

This is my first post here, so I hope it is of some help to ordinary members and to the valued technical expertise available in these forums.

tmno2
Terry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2019, 03:26 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Welcome tmno2, while this is an important advisory, vulnerabilities and flaws are part of the daily game here there is some product, app, OS which comes with a vulnerability flaw.

This is not a malware, this is a vulnerability and per Dell more than 90% of the affected machines are remediated by installing the updated versions of the Application. While the vulnerability is open to be exploited, the application in itself is not malware.

Old 07-24-2019, 05:57 AM   #3
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Cart before the horse? Let me explain. First a vulnerability is discovered. Then a remedy is found and distributed.
tristar likes this.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2019, 12:26 AM   #4
Registered Member

Question

Thanks Corday and tristar for your additions to the topic.

I agree completely that the topic heading, needs some clarification, how is this?

Dell and other suppliers system assistant/ PC Doctor, potential malware vulnerability

Additionally, it appears not to be related to only Dell systems, but to any other computer manufacturer/supplier, who supplies wholly or partially, “ PC DOCTOR” as part of it’s installed system.

I would also like to amend the paragraphs that refer to an installed intrusion, to read “ a potentially installed intrusion”.

The Dell admission of susceptibility appears to have been added on the 21st of July, and therefore was not available to me on my reading of the original post.

It is clearly evident to me that the much wider susceptibility of other systems to this vulnerability should be identified to your forum members, as these particular programs are operating within the base “root” of the OS and thus, their potential for much greater damage should not be overlooked.

My posted advice was prompted by the reading on topics of advice where the “ advisee” was not prompted to ensure that he or she should make sure before use that the researching *.exe file was the latest “safe” updated file as offered by the system provider.

My apologies to Dell and to any Dell users, within the forum, who may have been put out by my attempt at an “early warning advice”.

I also permit the forum moderators to adjust the wording of the “topic” to better identify the subject matter of the post.

tmno2
Terry
Old 07-25-2019, 02:19 AM   #5
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

No harm done tmno2, we appreciate your assistance to bring this to our notice.

I was only trying to correct the verbiage so members or visitors do not misconstrue that this application is Malware since the post was sort of misleading.

@Corday/@joeten, can you help updating the verbiage on the OP ?

Old 07-25-2019, 05:51 AM   #6
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

I think readers can pick up the "amendments" when seeing Post #4. Some consider PC Doctor to be bloatware.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Closed Thread