Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > General Computer Security

User Tag List

Cannot update Symantec Endpoint Virus Defs

This is a discussion on Cannot update Symantec Endpoint Virus Defs within the General Computer Security forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 running on an old Win XP Pro PC, and it was updating fine until

Old 06-09-2020, 12:28 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 running on an old Win XP Pro PC, and it was updating fine until earlier this year. Then LiveUpdate stopped working, with the message:
Failed to connect to the LiveUpdate server.
Session summary: 0 update(s) available, 0 update(s) installed.
LiveUpdate session is complete.
I was able to update virus definitions once manually from https://www.broadcom.com/support/sec...detail?gid=n95, but the next time, their Intelligent Updater program wouldn't install the file, and the Symantec Diagnostic Program wouldn't work. (I don't know if this is due to the fact I have a 32-bit system when most are now 64-bit)

In any case, I hope someone can advise me about the errors underlined in the attached log file. Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: doc Log.IntelligentUpdaterRev.doc (42.0 KB, 3 views)
henobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2020, 12:40 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

https://knowledge.broadcom.com/exter...t-protect.html
Could be time to find something else.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:39 PM   #3
Registered Member

Corday, thanks for the info. Although it's bad news, it will save me time looking for a solution or workaround. Nevertheless, I'll keep the thread open for a few more days, in case someone knows how to fix the issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2020, 01:06 AM   #4
Security Team

Updating AV definitions on an XP computer that you connect to the Internet is an exercise in futility.

XP has not been supported since 8th April 2014, and an unsupported OS cannot be secured against infection .... period.

Whether your AV is up to date or not is immaterial, because new definitions will not address the many, many, unpatched vulnerabilities that are present in XP, and which are all open to being exploited (and most of them are).

If you're connecting to the Internet (however briefly) then you need to use an OS that is being supported.
Old 06-10-2020, 07:35 AM   #5
Registered Member

Hi, Gary. I'm well aware that XP (as well as Win 7) has been discontinued, but I also hear about glitches with Win 10 upgrades, even though my laptop has this OS. XP is like an old carburetor car that I am familar with vs. a new Win 10 car that has so many bells and whistles that I don't use and can't fix "myself."

Another reason why I haven't switched fully is that I have a half dozen HDDs with files in older OSs. I need advice on how to best migrate and organize them, but don't know which Tech Support Forum to use and get this help.
Old 06-10-2020, 07:57 AM   #6
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Try this Forum: https://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f57/

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:00 AM   #7
Security Team

Exporting and cataloguing files is not my area of expertise I'm afraid.

I understand perfectly why some people may want to retain their older OS, there are a whole raft of reasons why someone might want to.

All I'll say, is that there's no problem in using them, providing they are never connected to the Internet. That is especially true for XP, which was probably the most popular, the easiest to exploit, and the most often exploited OS there has ever been.

Malware wasn't even considered when XP was brought out. What Microsoft wanted was an OS that could be used for just about any purpose you'd want to use it for, and so they built it with an open and easily accessible structure, which they struggled to make secure (and failed) right up to the day they removed support for it.

People loved it, because it was simple and easy to use, but the very thing that made it that way, was the reason it was so easy to infect.
Old 06-15-2020, 01:06 PM   #8
Registered Member

Since there were no other suggestions, I'm going to close this thread, but I'll say I found another way to update the virus definitions. The Intelligent Updater software seems to have been corrupted at Broadcomm after the takeover of Symantec. If anyone in this forum has contacts at Broadcomm, please let them know they should improve quality control of their products. Thanks.