Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > General Computer Security

User Tag List

any suggestion for a good free internet security software?

This is a discussion on any suggestion for a good free internet security software? within the General Computer Security forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. up untill today i was using COMODO witch was awsome. it worked cuse i still had they old free internert

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By britechguy
  • 2 Post By Corday
  • 1 Post By britechguy

Old 12-09-2019, 11:04 AM   #1
Registered Member

up untill today i was using COMODO witch was awsome.

it worked cuse i still had they old free internert scuirity installation

but now i figured out they had there the whole package paid for and only the antivirus free. witch is a sign for me to move on.

but sincei really hate the windows secuirity system i like to ask for recomendation. any free internet security u think u can recommend me on?
hunter111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2019, 01:47 PM   #2
Moderator, Editor, Articles Team

My System

Like it or not, the fact remains, Defender and Windows Firewall are, in my opinion, the best security option for Windows 10.

The 3rd party apps only differ in the amount of bloatware bundled with them.

I doubt you will get answers that are much different from the experts here.

Also, we already have other discussions on the subject here at TSF and I think this thread will only serve as another spam magnet but, we'll see how it goes.

Submit New Articles Here

Help us to help you by posting your System Specs
Deejay100six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 04:10 PM   #3
Windows Tech Team

And I will second exactly what was said by @Deejay100six.

Windows Security as implemented under Windows 8.1 and 10 is consistently in the top tier of test results, is free, and is dead simple to use. It's the ultimate "set it and forget it" security suite.

See the most recent plus the last several years of historical test results from:
AV Test
AV Comparatives
SE Labs (Reports Page)
MRG Effitas (360 Protection Testing Category)
Deejay100six likes this.
britechguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2019, 04:52 PM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Confucius say, 3rd party security = 3X the problems.
Deejay100six and tristar like this.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:16 PM   #5
Security Team

The Windows Defender that ships with W10 is a vast improvement on the version that came with W7.

Unfortunately a great many people still associate the name with that version, which is a pity, since it's now probably the best free security solution for the average W10 user, and the one I recommend you use.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:28 PM   #6
Windows Tech Team Moderator
Hardware Tech Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
Confucius say, 3rd party security = 3X the problems.
lol... nice one...

I agree

tristar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:07 AM   #7
Windows Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary R View Post
The Windows Defender that ships with W10 is a vast improvement on the version that came with W7.

Unfortunately a great many people still associate the name with that version,
I've said since the very beginning that Microsoft was insane not to dump the Windows Defender name, and they actually finally have, as it's now called Windows Security, but the damage is done.

Up through Windows 7 Windows Defender was not an antivirus or security suite, which is exactly what it is now, plus more (it has some antimalware and other advanced defenses capabilities).

Windows Security is not a gussied up Microsoft Security Essentials, either. It is an entirely new and incredibly powerful beast that requires virtually no "care and feeding" to do its job.
Old 12-20-2019, 12:48 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter111 View Post
up untill today i was using COMODO witch was awsome.

it worked cuse i still had they old free internert scuirity installation

but now i figured out they had there the whole package paid for and only the antivirus free. witch is a sign for me to move on.

but sincei really hate the windows secuirity system i like to ask for recomendation. any free internet security u think u can recommend me on?
Bruv honestly it depends on what youre looking for. COMODO is a great service and its only the commercial/paid suites that will give you top notch security including all features, be it ad blocker, protection from malicious files. If youre just looking to encrypt your browsing activities etc then even a vpn could do the job. If you dont want to spend too much you could give purevpn a try.
betsycollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 11:56 PM   #9
Windows Tech Team Moderator
Hardware Tech Team Moderator

If you're just looking to stay protected (you need something in replacement to Comodo to put your mid at ease that you're protected) then Windows Defender is more than adequate to handle the job.

Can you share the underlying reason for this ? If this is just for general protection, go with Windows Defender.

tristar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 08:27 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristar View Post
If you're just looking to stay protected (you need something in replacement to Comodo to put your mid at ease that you're protected) then Windows Defender is more than adequate to handle the job.

Can you share the underlying reason for this ? If this is just for general protection, go with Windows Defender.
amusingly enough

most of the reason that has being specified in the thread.

i cant stand the over simplistic "set and forget approach" of windows defender.
and in truth im not a fan of microsoft in general (i already started to the process of moving to linux)

put it simply im looking for something that allowed more controll.

comodo CIS came with antivirus,firewall and sendbox teachnology.

it also didnt outright deleted infected files but kept them quarantined,

one time it allowed to save the data base of my password manager.

so yeah, i dont like the builtin microsoft protection. its just not what im looking for.
hunter111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 09:44 AM   #11
Security Team

OK, if you don't want to use Windows' inbuilt protection, then the following free offerings are probably worth a look ...

https://usa.kaspersky.com/free-antivirus
https://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html

... I don't have personal experience of either, but both are from reputable companies with a proven track record.

To be honest, the protection of your PC is determined more by your own personal browsing habits than by which AV suite you have installed. Any of the reputable AV brands will give you good protection as long as you don't expect more from them than they were designed to provide.

No AV suite will protect you from yourself, and none gives you total immunity from infection and a license to do whatever you wish.

There are no really objective views on what AV is best, only subjective ones, since what one person wants from his/her AV, will differ from that which is wanted by others, so what suits one will not suit another. The fact that we all recommend Windows Defender, and you don't like that recommendation kind of makes my point I think.

So I think the best advice we can give you, is stick to known brands, try out a few, (one at a time, because more than one AV installation will conflict) and see what suits you best.
Old 12-24-2019, 10:03 AM   #12
Windows Tech Team

Windows Security gives you as much control as you wish to have. It really is that simple.

There's not a thing you've mentioned that you do not get/cannot do using it. You need to look at it again.
sonofwilliam likes this.
Old 12-24-2019, 06:35 PM   #13
Registered Member

Consider MBAM free version and run scans once a month along with Windows Defender...
Mutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:00 AM   #14
Registered Member

Echoing what has already been said: Defender. I couple it with Malwarebytes. Heard good reviews on Bitdefender as well. This says more about other ways such as anti-ransomware tools and other common sense and free Internet "tools": regular backups, frequent OS and program updates, secure servers...
HulkNotes is offline   Reply With Quote