Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Printer Support

User Tag List

Epson Workforce 845 phantom printing

This is a discussion on Epson Workforce 845 phantom printing within the Printer Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Every day, sometimes late at night, my Epson printer spits out 10-12 sheets of paper with gibberish on it. I

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By britechguy

Old 03-21-2020, 03:05 PM   #1
Registered Member

Every day, sometimes late at night, my Epson printer spits out 10-12 sheets of paper with gibberish on it. I have hardwired it, turned off port 90 (i think) and tried locking down my wifi...nothing works. Should i suspect AirPrint? something keeps telling it to "keep connection alive." i'm burning through paper and sure hope someone can help.

today's version (see attached) was new...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	printer.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	325372  
pollyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2020, 04:40 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Each component of the message can be Googled for an explanation. Are you on a network with a server? Do you operate a web site?

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 09:19 AM   #3
Registered Member

No server, no website. this is a home setup. and yes, while Googling i found that the "keep open" command is for HTTP transport, i cannot find out what in my system keeps sending that message--and why the printer is spitting out pages of command lines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2020, 10:26 AM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

I finally saw you have Windows 10. If you mean Hardwired as a parallel port please state. If you mean Ethernet then mention that. Before going through a bunch of suggestions, please install a new printer and if it works, get rid of this install in your Control Panel.

Old 03-22-2020, 11:04 AM   #5
Registered Member

not sure what "finally saw" is supposed to mean (just ask!) the printer is wired via ethernet cable. when you say "install a new printer" do you mean the Epson software, or an actual physical printer?
Old 03-22-2020, 11:19 AM   #6
Windows Tech Team

My System

I can't speak for Corday, but when I saw his suggestion, knowing that most of us don't have spare printers lying around, I interpreted as completely removing your printer, including its drivers, then reinstalling from scratch.

This is one of those rare instances where I would uninstall the printer from Device Manager itself, and checking the box to remove all drivers when uninstalling it. Restart your computer afterward.

Then fetch the latest available "full software" package from the Epson Support Pages for your device, and then run it. For good measure I would tweak the device name in Control Panel, Devices and Printers, Printer Properties context menu item, General Tab, so that it is definitely not the default (and I often do this anyway as the default names are often too long or not really descriptive).

Then see if your issue continues.
pollyh likes this.
britechguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 12:08 PM   #7
Registered Member

thanks a ton for the clear answer. i'll try this.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:55 PM   #8
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

As britechguy said. Also if you look at any of your posts next to OS you've left it blank. Go into your UserCP on our site and fill in the info. Including "My System" would be even more helpful when a Tech looks at your problem(s).

Old 03-22-2020, 01:18 PM   #9
Windows Tech Team

My System

And to add your "My System" information, once you've gone in to the User Control Panel, choose the Edit Options link on the left. Once that loads, the third block of options is entitled, "Thread Display Options," and the 5th item is System Specs.

I hadn't even located this before. I just changed it to "Yes" from the default, "No," and will be curious as to whether this data ends up being automatically gathered (and I presume it is) or if I'll have to enter it. Since I wasn't asked to enter anything when I hit Save for that change, I have to presume the forum software will interrogate my computer and populate appropriately. We shall see when I post this.

Addendum: Nope! Not automated, and I don't have the time at the moment to fiddle more with it.
britechguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:14 PM   #10
Registered Member

Until you solve this, when you go to bed, remove the paper from the printer and then clear print jobs in the AM. That should save your paper.
kdugan is offline   Reply With Quote