Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

User Tag List

persistent Black screen of death

This is a discussion on persistent Black screen of death within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi I have the dreaded black screen of death. Here is a summary of what I have already tried with

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi I have the dreaded black screen of death.

Here is a summary of what I have already tried with no success:
1. Turning the laptop off, disconnecting all power sources and taking out the battery, Wait 10 minutes and plug everything back in.
2. F8 on reboot nothing just black screen
3. F1,F2 boot into some bios platform that only has the option to change which order to boot (HD, CD, external or networking) have tried all of those in various orders and tried to boot with a windows boot disk to no avail.

4. F10 brings up recovery options, went through all those, completes and then reboots to the black screen again.
5. F12 does nothing
6. Ctrl+Alt+del = nothing still goes back into black screen
5. I have a Starup CD but the laptop is stuck onthe black screen and does not read the CD rom drive at all. I hear it spinning it seems
like the laptop is being prevented from going past the black screen.

CPU , CDrom and Hardrive were shown to be normal during the diagnostic scans.

The last thing that happened on my computer is
one of those annoying fake virus detection programs that hijack the browser.

The computer had one of those spyware things on it that kept telling me I had viruses, but wanted me to pay them money. No matter what I did to x it out, it kept coming up.

Next, I did a scan with malware bytes and super anti spyware, RKill, and Hijak This!. The system would be cleared out for a few days and then the same things would return. Due to a constrained time schedule I just didn't take time to really get this corrected before anything else could happen.

So a couple of days ago the thing turned off by itself in the middle of being told I had a virus from the FAKE virus spyware popup only to reboot into a black screen of death that has been here ever since.

F8 does not boot in to safe mode, it just returns to the black screen.

F1,F2 boot into some bios platform that only has the option to change which order to boot (HD, CD, external or networking) have tried all of those in various orders and tried to boot with a windows boot disk to no avail.

F10 brings up recovery options, went through all those, completes and then reboots to the black screen again.

I've also done the VAIO Hardware Diagnostics recovery and everything passed the diagnostics tests. HD, CPU etc all appear good and I see the amber light for the hard drive working when the diagnostics were performed.

F12 does nothing

Have tried network booting , tells me DHCP error and black screen returns.

Please help me if you have any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

What model Sony is this?
-Power on the laptop and repeatedly press <F8> during startup to get to the Advanced Options
-Once at the Advanced Options choose "Repair your Computer"

Quote:
5. I have a Starup CD but the laptop is stuck onthe black screen and does not read the CD rom drive at all. I hear it spinning it seems
like the laptop is being prevented from going past the black screen.
The disc that you are trying to boot to is it a copy or the original recovery media?

Take a look at the below thread.

https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...ng-498132.html
Old 02-04-2012, 05:34 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via Skype™ to xNaomii.Nobodyx
Roll Eyes

(this has worked for a few people after similar events , not to mention it fixed mine doesnt hurt to try).

theres an icon on your laptop with 3 overlaying disks its your Serial ATA (Serial Advanced Technology Attachment) .a computer bus interface for connecting host bus adapters to mass storage devices such as hard disk drives and optical drives.

Which also includes the starter drive, (what helps your screen actually come on and work) along with other things , but if you look at your laptop you can find 3 overlying disks , there might or might not be a blinking light under it , it may blink or stay on or juss now and again. but to continue find a screwdriver that fits the screws on the bottom of your laptop , then find the same panel that has the same overlaying 3 disks (icon)
and open that section, it should have a metal looking box it may not it may just be a box. but make sure to push it fully into the prongs that it is set to , push it to where it doesnt wiggle or bounce but be careful its an important part of the pc dont wana ruin it. once you've made sure its in there good ( and made sure its securely not going to fall loose again), put that section of your cover back on . then proceed to turn your laptop back over and turn it on , it should work if it doesnt , theres something wrong with your motherboard, (no im not a computer nerd or someone whos to smart just someone whos had this problem over & over & over until i finally had the sense to wedge the box against its prongs cubby the top goes into whatever you wana call it)
Hope this helps ill look for more solutions this is juss something ive experienced .) well let me know how it works out
-Naomii.'(:
Closed Thread