Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

User Tag List

Network connectivity issues in brand-new laptop

This is a discussion on Network connectivity issues in brand-new laptop within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm not sure if this belongs here, since it's a laptop, or 'other', since this appears to be my networking

Old 06-02-2020, 12:24 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

I'm not sure if this belongs here, since it's a laptop, or 'other', since this appears to be my networking card, or if it is actually a software issue that I'm not familiar with!

Model: HP Pavilion 15-CS3073CL
Modifications: Added 1TB Samsung Evo 970 Plus NVME SSD, reinstalled Windows from fresh after purchase.
Stock WiFi Card: Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160 MHz

Off the bat, this computer has had network connectivity issues. To me, it seems like the WiFi card just drops out sometimes... I've got the latest drivers and windows updates, have made sure literally everything in this machine is up-to-date. To me, this seems to say "WiFi card is faulty". Physical shocks don't seem to have any effect (bumping, jarring, etc) so I don't think it's a connection.

However, there seems to be an additional issue, or the issue seems to get worse, in a couple of cases. If the network I'm connected to doesn't have internet access (like when my mobile router has no cellular signal), the computer seems to disconnect much quicker - it won't stay on a network with no connection. As well, if I've put the machine to sleep and wake it back up, it has issues connecting until I've manually reconnected.

I think the issues in the two paragraphs are linked, because since I'm using a mobile hotspot, sometimes my internet speeds simply tank for a bit, or the internet connectivity may drop entirely for a second. The one home network I have access to sometimes also uses a terrible modem/router combo that doesn't stay connected to the internet all the time... It's entirely possible that every time the computer disconnects, it's because of a blip in the internet connectivity, and I really have no way of tracking if this is the cause... Though anecdotally, it seems the more stable my internet connection is, the less the connection to the network drops. Is there a setting somewhere for 'change networks if network connectivity is poor', like on an Android?

It's under warranty, but I'd like to avoid sending it in if I can, because I'm guessing they'll wipe the drive... And I'd have to take my SSD out of it, because they are also likely to make my nice NVME drive disappear, since it's not a stock component. That also happens to be my boot drive, so I'd have to reinstall windows on the HDD, run the updates so they don't say "It just wasn't updated", etc.

If it's the WiFi card, can I use just any laptop PCIE WiFi card? I was looking at the Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650, which would be pretty much the only upgrade possible. I've read something about some laptop manufacturers adding a bios whitelist for certain hardware though... is there a way to check before purchasing? Or is that info completely wrong, a PCIE card is PCIE?
PhoenixCodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2020, 02:59 PM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

support.hp.com > HP PCs - Wireless Network and Internet Troubleshooting (Windows 10)

Forbes.com > Microsoft Warns Troubled Windows 10 Update Has New Problems
SpywareDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 03:26 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Thanks, but no. This predates the May update (laptop has been having these issues since it was new in January), and as I stated, all the drivers and literally everything are (and have been kept) up to date.

I've been hoping this was a widespread issue and an update would fix it, but I've come to see it likely isn't.

As far as HP tech support, I forgot to mention that they did remote in and try to figure it out for a couple hours (which included multiple disconnects), but they weren't able to solve anything... except for downgrading several of my drivers, which did not fix it and caused more issues, which I had to upgrade again to fix.

Their hardware diagnostics discovered no abnormalities, except for the time where it completely hung... but no telling what caused that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2020, 08:14 AM   #4
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Same problem when using a little USB-to-WiFi adapter, like one of these?: https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=USB-TO-...price-asc-rank

Btw, WiFi is NOT, nor will it ever be, as reliable as wired. Too much interference. Even a crowd of people can effect a WiFi signal.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:25 AM   #5
Registered Member

My System

I don't have one of those, suppose I can get one to try.

I understand WiFi isn't as reliable as wired, but when I'm a foot or two from my Nighthawk mobile router in the middle of BFE with no other Wi-Fi signals around, well... I expect some sort of consistency. My other devices (Samsung S10+, Xbox One S, Rand McNally GPS Tablet, etc) do not have the same connectivity issues.

Where I had the most issue was the other day when I wanted to use the mobile hotspot as just an intranet, stream from my laptop to my phone, but had zero internet connectivity. That's when it would reliably disconnect after just a minute or so of being connected with no internet... while my phone was able to stay connected just fine.

But at the same time, thats not the only place its disconnected - in the middle of a work video call, it decided to simply disconnect too, a couple weeks back. Signal was fine that time, as far as I can tell.
Old 06-08-2020, 01:43 PM   #6
Registered Member

My System

Didn't manage to find one of those, but found out that my issue appears to be Active Polling - when the connection from the modem/router to the internet drops, Windows notices with Active Polling, and stops the connection with 'action required', thinking I need to log in to the router or some such. Disabling active polling causes some weirdness with the way the Network icon shows, but fixes the issue entirely. No more getting disconnected with no auto reconnect!
Old 06-08-2020, 01:49 PM   #7
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

Awesome!