Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

User Tag List

Lenovo Y70-70 Touch Screen Flickering

This is a discussion on Lenovo Y70-70 Touch Screen Flickering within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I've been experiencing screen flickering(screen goes on and off for 1 second and occasionally I get green and pink/purple

Old 04-08-2020, 09:09 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,
I've been experiencing screen flickering(screen goes on and off for 1 second and occasionally I get green and pink/purple lines accross the screen.) on my Laptop Lenovo Y70-70 Touch for about 3 years. I've tried literally everything I could find in the internet to fix this issue.
This is a video of the flickering(0.19 seconds when he opens Google Chrome):

I've tried:
1. BIOS update (as it was given in the Lenovo website)
2. Intel HD Graphics 4600 driver updates
3. NVidia GeForce GTX 960M driver updates
4. Windows updates
5. Windows Factory Reset

When I'm watching a Youtube video or Gaming (CS:GO or GTA 5 mainly) and my laptop is plugged in the charger it flickers a lot(After maybe an hour or two playing the same game it settles down and doesn't flicker that much but when I change the game it starts flickering again like crazy).
When Its not plugged in the charger it doesn't flicker as much even if I'm gaming or watching a youtube video.
I've tried connecting it to an external monitor to see if the flickering occurs in the external monitor as well and it doesn't. Its only on the laptop screen.
I've found out that if I lower the "Maximum processor state" percentage(around 50-60%) in the power options it reduces the flickering a lot when I'm gaming even if my laptop is plugged in the charger, but then my FPS drops a lot.
If I put the "Maximum processor state" at 100% it flickers so bad when I'm gaming that I cannot see anything.
Today I tried disabling the Intel HD Graphics from the Device Manager with
"Maximum processor state" at 70% and didn't flicker at all when I played a few youtube videos. When I put 100% at the "Maximum processor state" with the Intel HD Graphics Disabled the flickering returned.
Also when I started a game(GTA 5) with Intel HD Graphics Disabled and "Maximum processor state" at 70% the flickering came back & I had 1-2FPS in the game(which is understandable).
If you have any other software tips or solutions I could try I'll appreciate them.
I'm pretty sure its a hardware problem now.. Please help me and If you could tell me what hardware part could be causing this problem.
Thank you in advance.
Deathracer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2020, 10:05 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
I've tried connecting it to an external monitor to see if the flickering occurs in the external monitor as well and it doesn't. Its only on the laptop screen.
This would indicate that the laptop screen has an issue and needs to be replaced. If it was not a touch screen I would suggest replacing it. But Since it's 3 years old and a touch screen, it is out of warranty and will be too expensive to replace. It would be wiser to invest in a new laptop. Or use an external monitor, possibly connected to a Docking station or a KVM switch.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:25 AM   #3
Registered Member

Alright, thank you for the fast response. I think I'll use it with an external monitor because I just can't afford buying a new laptop at the moment.
I have a little question if you could give me some insight in this.
Why when I put the Maximum processor state at 100% it flickers so much but when I lower it it doesn't flicker that much ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2020, 08:58 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

There are less Frames Per Second sent to the monitor at the minimum processor speed
Old 04-09-2020, 08:42 AM   #5
Registered Member

Yeah, that makes sense.
Thank you so much for your help :)