Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

User Tag List

laptop turns off when unplugged

This is a discussion on laptop turns off when unplugged within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. i have a lenevo x201, intel core i5vpro, ram 2gb, windows 7. it is about a year old. now suddenly

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 09:49 PM   #1
Registered Member

i have a lenevo x201, intel core i5vpro, ram 2gb, windows 7. it is about a year old. now suddenly it starts turning off when i unplug the power chord. then i have to remove the battery and put it back on to start it again. also, i'm terrible with computers so please be a little elaborate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2011, 08:10 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Fixitfaster

Does your battery hold charge? Does it start up when u remove the ac adaptor and unplug the battery and plug it back?

Please explain this a little bit more for me to understand ur situation.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:00 AM   #3
Registered Member

Yes the battery does hold charge. Infact, the "thinkvantage" option shows that the battery is in good condition. The problem is that the computer shuts itself down (without any proper shut-down procedures) immediately after i unplug the power chord like a desk-top. If i don't remove the battery, the computer won't start at all even if i reattach the power chord. After re-attaching the battery however, the computer starts on the battery too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2011, 09:32 AM   #4
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

are you attaching and removing with the laptop turned off

when it's on does it keep the correct time

Old 06-16-2011, 10:01 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Fixitfaster

Seems like the battery is in good shape, Power adaptor in good shape.
Do you think the laptop motherboard battery terminals are fine? Any kind of a loose connection could cause this issue.
Please visit Lenovo web site and see if you could update the laptop bios firmware.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:46 AM   #6
GZ
TSF Emeritus

My System

Send a message via AIM to GZ Send a message via Yahoo to GZ

Is your computer still under warranty??

If you are unsure, I would check with Lenovo support.
Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:58 AM   #7
Registered Member

it seems if i restart the computer either without power or with power, the computer works fine. its only when the power plug is removed that the battery stops working altogether.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:15 AM   #8
GZ
TSF Emeritus

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinzach View Post
Is your computer still under warranty??

If you are unsure, I would check with Lenovo support.
Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:00 PM   #9
Registered Member

hey guys i gave it for repair and the techie said it was a motherboard malfunction.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:29 PM   #10
GZ
TSF Emeritus

My System

Was the issue repaired?
Closed Thread