Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

User Tag List

Laptop turns off monitor when using WMP

This is a discussion on Laptop turns off monitor when using WMP within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have an ASUS K42Jr laptop with ATI Radeon 5470. When i use Windows Media Player several times, like opening

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 07:28 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have an ASUS K42Jr laptop with ATI Radeon 5470.

When i use Windows Media Player several times, like opening around 7 videos (like when Im checking my videos one by one), my laptop randomly turns off only the monitor/screen but I can still hear the fan and the power is still lit.

One 'lucky' time, the screen turns off, then turns on again, then a dialogue box error appeared at the bottom of the screen that ATI driver encountered an error and recovered. I cannot remember the exact words but that's about it.

What could be the cause? I think it's about the video card, but I have already installed an update on the video card and it still doesn't work. I already followed carefully how to update drivers too. I also tried reinstalling WMP but no luck. If it's about overheating or a physical damage or something, I'm not sure, cause I only bought this laptop around 10 months ago, and it couldn't be that bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2011, 02:30 PM   #2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzsoul View Post
I have an ASUS K42Jr laptop with ATI Radeon 5470.

When i use Windows Media Player several times, like opening around 7 videos (like when Im checking my videos one by one), my laptop randomly turns off only the monitor/screen but I can still hear the fan and the power is still lit.

One 'lucky' time, the screen turns off, then turns on again, then a dialogue box error appeared at the bottom of the screen that ATI driver encountered an error and recovered. I cannot remember the exact words but that's about it.

What could be the cause? I think it's about the video card, but I have already installed an update on the video card and it still doesn't work. I already followed carefully how to update drivers too. I also tried reinstalling WMP but no luck. If it's about overheating or a physical damage or something, I'm not sure, cause I only bought this laptop around 10 months ago, and it couldn't be that bad.
if you read your issue properly you can guess why the screen is going off, you are more than likely overheating your graphics card/processor by trying to have several videos running at once. If you know what you are doing, and the computer is out of warrenty then I suggest you dismantle and check the cooling fan for dust and dirt blocking air flow. Also try not to have air vents covered, and dont try running as many processes at the same time
Closed Thread