Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

User Tag List

Laptop power adapter / power jack replacement issues

This is a discussion on Laptop power adapter / power jack replacement issues within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, When my laptop is turned off the plugged-in, battery-charging LED lights up and the battery charges to full. When

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 09:01 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,

When my laptop is turned off the plugged-in, battery-charging LED lights up and the battery charges to full. When I have the power on though and its plugged in I get a continual back-and-forth between the laptop knowing its plugged in and battery power. I think my new, replacement power adapter cable plug-in thing (the cord with the box in the middle, one end in the wall, one end in the laptop, that thing) doesnt have enough power. I think that it does fine when everything is turned off and all it has to do is charge the battery. But when everything is on it doesnt have the power.

So my laptop is in this continual...

Oh hey Im plugged in! Switching to A/C power. Oh wait thats not enough, back to battery...
Oh hey Im plugged in! Switching to A/C power. Oh wait thats not enough, back to battery...
Oh hey Im plugged in! you know...computer logic...

Over time my laptop needed more and more jiggling of the power plug in order to register a connection. I knew what was happening, and eventually it just gave out. Luckily the jack itself connected to the motherboard via a plug (not soldered). So I went to Amazon, found the part, got the part, plugged in the part, put the laptop back together and it works beautifully...no jiggling.

But at the same time I got a new power adapter plug in (the thing with the cable) cause the old one was getting frayed at that bend near the plug in where they always fray. But I think I got too low of one. And dumb me, I threw out my original adapter last week.

I know you'll probably want specs, which I can give. But does it sound like I'm on the right track? Get the right adapter and it'll all be good?

Thanks.

Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2015, 09:20 PM   #2
Registered Member

Specs for you :

Laptop : ACER 7741G-6426
Replacement Adapter : Star Adapter 65W 19v 3.42a Replacement AC Adapter for ACER

My laptop takes 90W I think. The back of the laptop states 19v = 4.74 Amps.

I think that's my problem.

Thoughts?
Old 03-05-2015, 02:57 AM   #3
Moderator Hardware Team

OS: WinME, WinXP Pro SP3, Win7(x64), Linux distros incl. Ubuntu 9.10 & Netbook Remix & CD2USB, Slax6.1

My System

The solution is simple .. buy yourself another adapter with the specs shown on the back of the laptop. Your only problem (to watch out for) being that the "bit" that plugs into the laptop should have the correct INTERNAL & EXTERNAL diameter holes and/or pins for connection. If the pin diameter is too small or the hole diameter too large then you won't get a contact. Likewise if the pin diameter is too large or the hole size too small; it won't fit.

I'm not old!!
I'm age impaired

D_F

I DON'T PLAY GAMES

HDD DIAG UTILS

TSF's Photographer's Corner

How to Use Ubuntu to Recover Windows files
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2015, 04:59 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

I would recommend you use only an OEM adapter.
Closed Thread