Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

User Tag List

Laptop dead after LCD replacement

This is a discussion on Laptop dead after LCD replacement within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi everyone, I replaced the LCD panel on my brothers Dell Inspiron 7537. However, now it does not turn on

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 11:33 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi everyone,

I replaced the LCD panel on my brothers Dell Inspiron 7537. However, now it does not turn on and has no signs of life except the battery indicator when I plug it in. I'm familiar with the laptop as I have the same model and have been replacing components etc. on it for a few years. When i installed the new LCD panel on my machine, my computer also would not turn on. However, after taking out the CMOS battery for some time and then replacing it, my laptop came back to life but my brothers would not.

So I think the problem has to do with the new screen. the new panel is PN 3874Y, and fit perfectly with the ribbon cable connecting from the motherboard.

Anyone heard of this or have any suggestions as to whats causing it?

Thanks in advance for your replies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2019, 03:51 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

So there are 2 possibilities, either the lcd is short killing power, or it is blank, appearing to be a no power situation with no power to the board...

Any idea which one it is ?

Old 01-08-2019, 12:24 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
has no signs of life except the battery indicator
Re-seat video ribbon cable to screen. You may need to disassemble the laptop and see if the video cable is still connected to the motherboard.
If computer fans are not spinning except for the battery indicator, something is not plugged in correctly or you have shorted out the motherboard
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2019, 07:22 AM   #4
Elite Commander

My System

Send a message via MSN to VividProfessional

hope you used an anti static strap or you may have killed your mainboard
Old 01-13-2019, 12:54 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks everyone for your replies and suggestions
@tristar i had a knowledgeable uncle have a look at the motherboard, and though his level of expertise is well beyond mine i gathered that there was power getting to the motherboard but once there some parts were powered and others were not. So i would guess then that it would be more likely then that it's the LCD panel thats killing the power.
Again, my knowledge is limited when it comes to the inner workings of a motherboard, i mainly stick to replacing components and getting out of there, so apologies if any of this is badly worded.
@spunk.funk reseated the video cable a fair few times and it had no effect. I'm sure the others are seated correctly so yup sounds like the motherboard is fried then @VividProfessional either by me not using an anti-static strap or this new LCD panel, which (i think) temporarily knocked out my own laptop as i mentioned.

Thanks for your suggestions and help, i guess i could try give it to a professional and see if it's possible to get it fixed or start strippin' parts of and selling them
Closed Thread