Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

User Tag List

HP laptop LCD screen issue??

This is a discussion on HP laptop LCD screen issue?? within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, Im a newbie and glad to be here. I have an issue with a 3 year old HP 17"

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 01:37 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, Im a newbie and glad to be here.
I have an issue with a 3 year old HP 17" Pavilion dv9000. Over the past few weeks, the screen had showed very narrow vertical lines across the entire screen. Sometimes it would rectify itself, other times, it would display other distortion but the lines always remained. Periodically, the screen would rectify itself and it would be fine for a time before the vertical lines would return.
I hooked up to an external monitor. The display was perfect suggesting it was an LCD issue. I replaced the LCD but still have the same issue! I tried the old monitor again but same issue, so both new and old LCDs give the exact same issue. I am stumped cos I just paid 120 for the new LCD....and no difference.
All wiring connections seem to be solid.
I would have assumed as the external monitor was perfect, the issue had to be a faulty LCD ?!?!?!

Anyone got any ideas on what the issue might be if not the LCD?! Might it be the inverter?
Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Could be the graphics cable or the inverter.

Does it matter if the laptop is running off battery or power adapter?
Old 05-18-2011, 02:22 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinu1der2 View Post
Could be the graphics cable or the inverter.

Does it matter if the laptop is running off battery or power adapter?

Hey, it makes no difference....
Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2011, 04:52 AM   #4
Registered Member

Is there any wat to check if it is the graphics cable or the inverter causing the problem without having to buy them??

I do not have any spares to hand.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:01 AM   #5
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Unfortunately with the cable the only way is to test with a known working cable.

Maybe you could have a local shop test the inverter?
Old 05-30-2011, 09:41 AM   #6
Registered Member

Cry

Hi again,

I have tried the new inverter and to no avail.. It made no difference at all. Does this mean it is definitely the graphics /LCD cable that is definitely the problem??
Bare in mind, the picture is 100% on an external monitor.

Thanks
Old 05-31-2011, 03:00 AM   #7
Registered Member

Anyone ???
Old 05-31-2011, 04:49 AM   #8
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

If you are still having the same problem then I would replace the cable.

With the picture being fine on the external then the graphics chip is fine.
Closed Thread