Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

User Tag List

dell inspiron 9400 fan not working cause blue screen

This is a discussion on dell inspiron 9400 fan not working cause blue screen within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Does anyone know the values for CPU, GPU, mem, chipset or hardrive for a laptop supposedly made by Dell model

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
Registered Member

Does anyone know the values for CPU, GPU, mem, chipset or hardrive for a laptop supposedly made by Dell model inspiron 9400. It will be 5 years old in March. When the fan does not activate, I will get various blue screens requiring shut down. Then have to wait for laptop to cool before using it again.

I did install a program that will adjust the fan to come on when various heat levels are reached but don't know the values. The fan works because the program will let me manually turn it on.

I really need much appreciated help.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2011, 03:50 PM   #2
GZ
TSF Emeritus

My System

Send a message via AIM to GZ Send a message via Yahoo to GZ

Hello johnnydiamond,

Do you know the BIOS revision for your laptop?

Overheating will stress components and connections, and this can easily cause BSOD's.

If you suspect overheating then you should concentrate on getting the laptop cool.

I suggest thoroughly cleaning the heatsink and the cooling channels and checking the fan.

To check the fan you need to spin it by hand. It should spin freely. Once it slows down it should "bounce"... If the fan is not spinning freely it needs to be replaced.

Here is a link to your laptops service manual. This will help you in tearing down and reassembling the laptop.

https://support.dell.com/support/edoc...N/sm/index.htm
Old 01-07-2011, 05:08 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks Gavinzach for the info. I forgot to mention that when I install the program, it will let me run the fan and it seems to work...Do you still believe it should check it manually? The program has settings for cpu, gpc, mem, chipset but I don't know what values(degrees) to insert.
Any suggestion will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2011, 08:53 AM   #4
GZ
TSF Emeritus

My System

Yes, you should still check the fan. Forcing a failing fan to run at high speed isn't going to make it happy.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:39 PM   #5
Registered Member

Gavinzach, the manual test on fan worked as you explained. I went to a few places who suggested a cooling unit to place under the laptop. The cooling unit has two fans that literally blow out cool air into the bottom of laptop. Do you think this will work versus the program that I installed that allows me to manually turn on fans, or put in settings or values, which I can't seem to find from Dell, that will automatically run the fans when the cpu reaches a certain temp?
Old 01-07-2011, 05:43 PM   #6
GZ
TSF Emeritus

My System

Did you clean any dust build up from behind the heatsink fans? If there is dust buildup on the fins, cooling will be extremely hampered.

The reason I asked if you know the BIOS revision is, if a laptop series has heating problems, the manufacturer will usually release a BIOS update with new fan control algorithms to ramp up the fan sooner for better cooling.
Closed Thread