Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

User Tag List

Cooling Fan Failing?

This is a discussion on Cooling Fan Failing? within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hallo All, Like most people who post here, I have a problem with my Computer. In this case it's my

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 01:46 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to SuperRockLee
Hallo All,

Like most people who post here, I have a problem with my Computer. In this case it's my Netbook that has an issue. I think the problem is a Failing Cooling Fan. I think the Motor is burning out. The Fan has been rather loud and shall we say, rattling for the past few weeks. I did purchase some Air Spay and give all the vents a blast of Air. But this only seemed to help for a week or two. Here is the info on my Netbook that may be handy.

Computer Brand: Eee PC (I think that's the name)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600)
System Manufacturer: ASUSTek Computer INC.
System Model: 1001PX
Processor: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N450 @ 1.66(GHz) (2CPUs)
Memory: 1014 RAM

If any more information is required, feel free to ask.

The Netbook has 2 Cooling fans inside. One (The main one I hope) works fine. The other (Which is near an air vent) is the failing one. It only comes on I assume when the computer really needs cooling.

Question: If this is the issue, could I fix this myself? How easy/hard would it likely to be to open the Computer and replace the fan? (Using the right tools of course. I know how touching parts with hands can cause static discharge ect)

Question: Are Cooling Fans costly to buy? (I assume I'd need to buy the exact same brand of Fan to replace the old one. I just don't want to have to pay 70 to have it fixed by a Repair Guy if it's simple to fix)

Question: Whilst I am here, I may as well ask this. Is it easy to add more RAM to a Netbook? (I know that with PC's, you just get a card and stick it in a slot. But I hear that it may not be so straight forward with a Netbook)

All help is much appreciated!

- Lee

Also, might I add that the Fan with the suspected issue isn't always loud. Sometimes it is quiet like normal. I think that it might be good to open the Netbook and give it a good Air Blast. Maybe I'll see what the problem is. Only issue is that I've never opened a Netbook before. It isn't like my past PC's which would just open with a few leavers. Are there any significant risks involved in opening up Netbooks?

Again, all help is much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2011, 09:09 AM   #2
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

Asus Replacement CPU Cooling Fan For Eee PC 1005 Series

Replacing an EEE PC's Fan - RADO

Old 11-10-2011, 02:58 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to SuperRockLee

Thank You Dai~