Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

User Tag List

Buying advice for new laptop please

This is a discussion on Buying advice for new laptop please within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am looking to buy a new laptop for my programming major at university. Thus, it has to be a

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 04:11 AM   #1
Troubled

Exclamation

I am looking to buy a new laptop for my programming major at university. Thus, it has to be a very robust machine, with adequate cooling, 1920x1080 resolution and easy maintenance (easy to add and remove SATA II hdds).

Which brand should I get?
Please help me decide from this list:
ALTERNATE

I heard that IBM ThinkPad is a good and robust brand.
Could you please help me decide which notebook would be suited for my requirements?

I am on a tight budget as well. Classes are starting tomorrow and I am going to be in big problems if I don't fix this issue soon.

My 3 year old HP Probook 4720s broke down (I think) because very regularly (up to the point it's not bearable anymore) I get the two following BSODs:
BSOD: 0xA0000001
BSOD: 116

I tried recovering from my clonezilla image. Didn't help.
I tried switching drivers. Didn't help.
So I am not sure if this is a hardware error but my friend tells me that my video card is fried (my laptop has horrible cooling). Again, that is something I am unsure of. I don't have the time to troubleshoot this and the truth is now I have an unstable machine and I need a stable one for classes.

My university office temporarily provides laptops for students with issues so it's not a permanent solution. I would probably get a laptop for a month or something. At home I also have an older laptop (but makes noise): MSI Vr610 and an old PC (single core 1.99 GHz, 2 GB RAM).

Should I buy a new laptop? I don't know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2013, 05:16 AM   #2
Enthusiast

My System

well first most people get rid of computers and laptops because they dont know their issues can be fixed by themselves or are too lazy to do it.

Your first BSOD relates to your graphics card driver, is it up to date?

Your second also relates to the same driver.

Your friend could be correct but why not visit the BSOD section and follow the instructions on how to post your dmp files.

Laptops generally never have good cooling this is why you should buy a cooling mat for your laptop and only ever use it on a desk.

Acer,Dell,Samsung and Lenovo make good laptops.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:29 AM   #3
Troubled

I am using the latest up to date driver straight from the ATI website.

I have an application that I use for BSOD troubleshooting; WhoCrashed. It has crash information. Here is the report:

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Welcome to WhoCrashed (HOME EDITION) v 4.02
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This program checks for drivers which have been crashing your computer. If your computer has displayed a blue screen of death, suddenly rebooted or shut down then this program will help you find the root cause and possibly a solution.

Whenever a computer suddenly reboots without displaying any notice or blue screen of death, the first thing that is often thought about is a hardware failure. In reality, on Windows most crashes are caused by malfunctioning device drivers and kernel modules. In case of a kernel error, many computers do not show a blue screen unless they are configured for this. Instead these systems suddenly reboot without any notice.

This program will analyze your crash dumps with the single click of a button. It will tell you what drivers are likely to be responsible for crashing your computer. It will report a conclusion which offers suggestions on how to proceed in any situation while the analysis report will display internet links which will help you further troubleshoot any detected problems.

To obtain technical support visit Resplendence Software - Contact and Support Form

Click here to check if you have the latest version or if an update is available.

Just click the Analyze button for a comprehensible report ...

Home Edition Notice

This version of WhoCrashed is free for use at home only. If you would like to use this software at work or in a commercial environment you should get the professional edition of WhoCrashed which also allows analysis of crashdumps on remote drives and computers on the network and offers a range of additional features.

Click here for more information on the professional edition.
Click here to buy the the professional edition of WhoCrashed.

System Information (local)

windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601
windows dir: C:\Windows
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 480 @ 2.67GHz Intel586, level: 6
4 logical processors, active mask: 15
RAM: 8438341632 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 1944502272

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Sun 15/09/2013 10:53:16 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown ()
Bugcheck code: 0x0 (0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.
Google query: CUSTOM_ERROR

On Sun 15/09/2013 10:42:53 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091513-47393-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (atikmdag+0x23C5C)
Bugcheck code: 0xA0000001 (0x5, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\atikmdag.sys
product: ATI Radeon Family
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
description: ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
Google query: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. CUSTOM_ERROR

On Sun 15/09/2013 10:34:40 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091513-47424-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (atikmdag+0x23C5C)
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).

On Sun 15/09/2013 10:32:24 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091513-53820-01.dmp

On Sun 15/09/2013 10:32:21 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091513-49904-01.dmp
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.

On Sun 15/09/2013 9:28:01 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091513-43383-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (atikmpag+0xACF0)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA80092C04E0, 0xFFFFF880078D9CF0, 0x0, 0x2)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\atikmpag.sys
product: AMD driver
description: AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmpag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
Google query: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

On Sun 15/09/2013 8:31:30 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091513-52931-01.dmp

On Sun 15/09/2013 8:15:37 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091513-60356-01.dmp

On Sun 15/09/2013 814 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091513-47221-01.dmp

On Sun 15/09/2013 7:35:12 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091513-60450-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (atikmpag+0xACF0)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA80092CA4E0, 0xFFFFF880078A0CF0, 0x0, 0x2)
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmpag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).

On Sun 15/09/2013 7:28:13 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091513-49467-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA80094604E0, 0xFFFFF8800785ECF0, 0x0, 0x2)

On Sun 15/09/2013 718 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091513-50497-01.dmp

On Sat 14/09/2013 10:59:47 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091413-43867-01.dmp

On Sat 14/09/2013 10:48:10 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091413-44444-01.dmp

On Sat 14/09/2013 10:43:19 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091413-46909-01.dmp

Conclusion

32 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. Only 15 are included in this report. 2 third party drivers have been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

atikmpag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.)
atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

On Sun 15/09/2013 10:53:16 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp

On Sun 15/09/2013 10:42:53 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091513-47393-01.dmp

On Sun 15/09/2013 10:34:40 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091513-47424-01.dmp

On Sun 15/09/2013 10:32:24 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091513-53820-01.dmp

On Sun 15/09/2013 10:32:21 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091513-49904-01.dmp

On Sun 15/09/2013 9:28:01 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091513-43383-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA80092C04E0, 0xFFFFF880078D9CF0, 0x0, 0x2)

On Sun 15/09/2013 8:31:30 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091513-52931-01.dmp

On Sun 15/09/2013 8:15:37 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091513-60356-01.dmp

On Sun 15/09/2013 814 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091513-47221-01.dmp

On Sun 15/09/2013 7:35:12 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091513-60450-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA80092CA4E0, 0xFFFFF880078A0CF0, 0x0, 0x2)

On Sun 15/09/2013 7:28:13 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091513-49467-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA80094604E0, 0xFFFFF8800785ECF0, 0x0, 0x2)

On Sun 15/09/2013 718 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091513-50497-01.dmp

On Sat 14/09/2013 10:59:47 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091413-43867-01.dmp

On Sat 14/09/2013 10:48:10 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091413-44444-01.dmp

On Sat 14/09/2013 10:43:19 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091413-46909-01.dmp

Conclusion

32 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. Only 15 are included in this report. 2 third party drivers have been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

atikmpag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.)
atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.
Further symptoms include:
- When I boot normally, the laptop is unable to boot and keeps throwing those two BSODs sporadically at me or shows a black screen. The harddisk activity is intense during the logo disappearing and the login screen appearing.

- (repeatable) If I boot into safe mode and I restart through there, Windows 7 boots successfully.

- If I use the default VGA driver, I get no BSODs (from what I have experienced). But this is not ideal for the tasks I have to do (Youtube, programming, Android development).

- Switching the RAM back and forth caused very frequent and very regular 0xA0000001 errors. Now I switched the RAM and I get no more of these. Current GPU temp is 58C. My suspicion is that I will start getting errors when it reaches 70C temps.

- I have a cooling pad for my laptop but it hardly cools anything and it's bulky to work with. It's a 'big boy fan 120 mm'.

- Recently I had a lot of 0xA0000001 errors at random. When I would be browsing and scrolling down a page, as soon as I scrolled down, my screen froze and I got a brutal 'click' from my laptop's screen and after that the bluescreen. I am not sure what the cause is. Allegedly it's because of that driver atikmdag.sys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2013, 08:48 AM   #4
Enthusiast

My System

I am no expert in this please post in the BSOD forum and follow the instructions and post there.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #5
Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12311 View Post
I am using the latest up to date driver straight from the ATI website.
Error Codes indicate an issue with graphics drivers.
"All" drivers for OEM units should be downloaded from the manufacturer's site. The drivers from the ATI site are for retail GPU's and are commonly different from the OEM models.
Once the correct drivers are installed and if the problem persists, post in the BSOD area of the forum as recommended by greenbrucelee.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:39 AM   #6
Troubled

Even though I can troubleshoot problems with this laptop, I am much better off buying a new one for now. I can't rely on this laptop. Yesterday in class it shut down on me during a lecture because it was going 98C in safe mode.

As a hardware expert already told me: "There is a 99.9% chance your GPU is broken. This is causing all the bluescreens and the overheating. It happened the same for me when my GPU was dying."

I already tried various ATI drivers for my card; beta, non-beta, OEM, everything. There is almost no use case scenario in which this laptop functions well. At some point it is bound to crash on me or act oddly and I cannot have that. I do not have the time to troubleshoot neither since this case is urgent. I have exams coming up soon and even though I can rent a laptop from the student service, this is not a permanent solution.

Whatever software measures I try on this laptop, it will keep overheating and screwing up on me no matter what I do. The only use case scenario in which it acts somewhat ok is when I am not using Youtube and when it is in a cold (read: below 20C) environment. The GPU is just dead. Even with Aero and all windows features turned off, this thing burns out and glitches on me. So, I am still thinking. Maybe I could try another use case scenario: use this laptop without any themes. Pure XP look. No visual resources. But I guess it would crash on me as well. I have yet to try that.

Bottom line: I appreciate that you are helping me fix this problem, but I would like an answer to my current question at hand; the thread topic: What laptop should I get if I want the following quality attributes:

- robust, reliable, durable, fast (i5 or higher)
- no defects in long term

I am tired of owning laptops that end up having defects. My previous laptop, an MSI VR610 ended up having an overheating problem and its NorthBridge got fried. $200 to replace it. So I want a machine I can rely on. I don't want any system instability if I add new RAM, or if I play Youtube videos or do some high end media editing. I do not want the CPU to run out of thermal paste 2 years after I bought it (like this laptop). No defects please!

I will not game anymore on a laptop because that is the main reason most of them die. So I think I should be fine with everything except gaming. Something that does not kill the GPU in long term.

So, now that you know my requirements, what laptop (brand) should I be looking for?

Thank you in advance.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:57 AM   #7
Enthusiast

My System

I mentioned good brands in one of my posts.

There is no such thing as a computer or laptop not ever having any defects and although computers can go faulty because of faulty parts 99% of problems on computers and laptops are caused by the person using it.

You should visit RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, SSD at Crucial.com and when you put in your laptops model number it will tell you compatible RAM. Remember mixing ram specs and speeds can cause big problems you should always use matched pairs unless your motherboard is quad channel then you should use 4 sticks of RAM.

Laptops don't die because you are gaming on them, granted latops get hotter than proper computers because they are small but if you keep them on cooling pads and keep them dust free they should not overheat if you are using sensible settings in games.

If computers are used correctly and treated right they shouldn't go wrong until the hardware gets very old. I always build my own computers and I have never had a virus or a blue screen of death or anything like that for at least 10 years.

Questions: Do you ever use your laptops on cooling pads? Do you ever blow out any dust with compressed air?
Old 10-22-2013, 06:06 AM   #8
Troubled

No, I never blow out the dust with compressed air. I only did that on my main PC. For a laptop I wouldn't know where to begin since all the hardware is tucked away behind metal plates and what not.

The RAM I bought was a matching RAM set (2 sticks) from crucial.com for this exact model. The channeling is correct.

My GPU died because I have been playing Minecraft in highest settings for hours. That game just kills the system. It was running on a constant 95C even with cooling pad. I don't know if you have tried playing Minecraft before, but that game fries most people's machines. Note: the problem with my laptop is that it has no air exhaust whatsoever, no air grills, except one on the side. It is also full of debris and dust inside the grill (I have no idea how to disassemble or how to clean that out). The problem as well is that I don't know if there is actual dust left in it. Having no air grills on the bottom of the laptop (at all!), cooling pads help nothing. I have an Antec 120 mm big boy fan. It helps nothing, but it helps on my sister's laptop since she has grills on the bottom of her laptop. I am pretty much screwed with this design. Another note: I have no idea how to clean a laptop.

Anyway, I take my laptop to university every day. It sits in my back pack. I travel outside and inside with it. When my hardware expert friend first cleaned it out he told me to watch out how I use my laptop because it was extremely dirty (dust crumbs, dust bunnies etc). He had to re-apply thermal paste on the CPU because he saw it was far gone (this explains the previous 100C temperatures). Well, I can't help that I have to take my laptop to campus daily. It has to be in my backpack. I used to pack the laptop with the grill hitting the bottom of the backpack (where all the crumbs and dust are) but now I always pack my laptop with the grill facing the top of the backpack, to minimize risk. I don't know what else to do to fix this.

Furthermore, I think a laptop should not start overheating if you don't use a cooling pad and you are gaming. It should have sufficient cooling quality to not mess up.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:09 AM   #9
Enthusiast

My System

you just put it by the vents and blow.

minecraft isn't that intesive, if your system is dusty it will fry though.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:12 AM   #10
Troubled

I have to disagree with Acer making good systems because a friend of mine bought an Acer Z5610 and that system broke down overheating in a matter of months.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:13 AM   #11
Troubled

Am I not going to cause a reverse air current and possibly blow one of my chips by blowing compressed air the wrong way?
Old 10-22-2013, 06:35 AM   #12
Enthusiast

My System

no, just point it at the vents (make sure it is level) and blow it out the dust should come out.

You wont break any chips, it takes quite a lot to make chips come loose and a can of compressed air could not do this, so they would have to be loose anyway for the can to knock them out and if they were your system wouldn't work.

Just because one person has bad luck with a system doesn't make it a bad brand.

Again the majority of problems are caused by the people using the system and with laptops if you dont keep the cooling proficient then it will overheat. This is the reason xboxes and ps3's overheat. They are small, powerful and if not looked after they break.

But there are always bad apples in every bunch.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #13
Troubled

Just spent a painful hour cleaning my laptop from the outside and the inside.

I used cans of compressed air. First time I blew the air into the air grill exhaust, a serious amount of dust spread into the air. After using about 50 cotton buds to clean the fan blades and their surroundings, I caught more dust than I would catch on my sofa. It was horrendous. It was thick, dark gray dust. I had to use an additional 15 cotton buds to clean that out somewhat. After blowing some more compressed air into the air grill, tons of more dust came out. The only problem is that I did not know how to completely remove the fan itself from the system so I could clean it out entirely, including the most crucial part (the grill where the air is supposed to leave and the heat is supposed to escape). I saw on a hardware cleaning video that if there is too much dust, the heat does not escape, returns to the copper heat path, over the CPU, over the GPU and stays there, accumulating heat until the machine gives out. I think that is what was happening partially with my system. I hope cleaning out a considerable amount of dust helped it somewhat.

Now I managed (I think) to lower my temperatures with about 8C or 10C. I hope it stays this way (probably not).

Extra: after rebooting I got a bluescreen saying the ATI display driver had a problem (BSOD 116). Same error I got before. After going into safe mode and disabling the bluetooth services, I booted like normal again. I am not sure if Bluetooth was causing problems with ATI display drivers. Anyway, I will keep troubleshooting this.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:34 AM   #14
Enthusiast

My System

like I said in an earlier post please go to the BSOD section and post your dump files (there are instructions on what to do in the BSOD section) and they guys there will tell you and be able to sort your issue out for you.

but from looking at what you put earlier you need update your drivers.
Closed Thread