Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

User Tag List

Battery is (plugged in, not charging)

This is a discussion on Battery is (plugged in, not charging) within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, am I in the right place? I was lurking an old thread and half way through the first page

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, am I in the right place?

I was lurking an old thread and half way through the first page a moderator suggested posting your own thread, so here I am.

I recently bought a new battery for my DELL XPS M1210 w/ Windows Vista for the first time since I've owned the laptop. For a year, I just let the dead battery attached to the laptop sit there and not work. In the last few weeks, I went ahead and decided to spend the scratch and buy a new battery.

When I put it in, I got the (plugged in, not charging) message.

I've the method for ''Un-installed all Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listing in Device Manager.'' Several different times and ways and that doesn't seem to have helped. I more or less followed this gentleman's method to the letter.

When doing that a dozen different time didn't work, I was worried it might be a motherboard problem.

Instead, I decided to buy a new adapter even though the old was was still allowing me to run the laptop?

To my surprise, it worked! For about two hours. I was in the process of charging the battery, letting it run down, then recharging it. To ''train'' the battery as I was told to do.

I'm worried that it may be a hardware problem where you plug the adapter into the laptop, but not the adapter but the plug in the computer that receives the adapter?

I really don't know, it's all speculation.

I was hoping you folks could give me an idea of what else there is for me to do? I've bought a new battery. New adapter. It's all spanking brand new. The battery did charge for a while and it did hold a charge for about 2 1/2 hrs at one point, so I'm not thinking it's a dud?

Any tips on where to proceed would be fantastic, or even a confirmation that my dated laptop is dying and that the adapter plugged in at all times is the only way to continue to use my laptop until it permanently kicks the bucket would still be nice.

I don't think I need a driver for this battery, do I?

I performed a clean install of Vista Home Premium recently and had to manually install all my drivers. I dont' need a driver for the battery, do I? That wouldn't explain why it charged for a few hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
Registered Member

The DC power jack may need replaced, or I may need a genuine Dell adapter. Those of you lurking who know more about this kind of thing, what do you think?
Old 09-25-2013, 09:47 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hi guys!

I thought I'd wait a few days before I asked again, but does anyone have _any_ trouble shooting tips so I can pin point the problem and hopefully figure out what the cause here is?

Anything at all would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2013, 01:52 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

OS: XPsp3-Win8.1,Win10v1709FCU, Ubuntu16.04,Zorin,ISOLinux, Android4.3,CiscoIOS

My System

Hi Matt:
You might want to read this thread from the Laptop forum here on TSF on this topic to give you some suggestions to try:https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...fo-599276.html.

This type of problem usually turns out to be a failing Motherboard, and in a 5 yr. old plus laptop as you have that's not too unusual. After replacing the AC Charger & the Battery, that's the most likely suspect.

Of course, if you want to make sure take it to a local Certified Computer Expert and he can tell you for sure by running specific diagnostics on your internal hardware and give you an estimate for the repair (parts & labor). If it is a Motherboard; Dell XPS Mobos go for $90-$280 so be prepared for some sticker shock there.

XPS laptops are high-end, so it might be worth keeping if you paid over $1,000 for it. Otherwise why spend $300 for a repair of a 5-6 yr. old laptop, when you can buy a brand new one for $249???

BIGBEARJEDI
Old 09-29-2013, 07:35 PM   #5
Registered Member

Dell puts an ID chip inside the motherboard so that only their adapters will be reconized by the laptop.

Since yours did work, and then stopped, you can try taking back the adapter and get a new one, because the ID chip inside it may have failed.
Its also an issue.
And if that doesn't fix it, it means the ID chip inside the motherboard failed and not really worth the cost of a motherboard to fix that issue.

Even high tech guys can not figured out how to bypass that ID chip.

I had a dell, and spend months researching this issue off and on, which is how I know.
My cousins did the same thing.

My laptop would power up the laptop but not charge the battery.

Hers would only run with a battery and no way to actually charge the battery, as the laptop doesn't even see that the charger is connected.
And no, its not a jack issue, its the ID chip.

I actually would like to somehow splice the adapter into the battery port, but thats a nope.

I might as well try to park a 747 jet on an Aircraft Carrier.

So yah, if you can, try to get a replacement adapter, because they do fail, even brand new ones, that ID chip is worthless, IMO.

If it doesn't fix the issue, its almost certain that the ID chip inside the motherboard is gone.

I have seen this happen so may times, I will never buy a dell again.

I knew a guy who sold refurbished dells, they bring the adapters back almost on a weekly basis.
He just pitches them and gives them a new one.

Huge design flaw to force you to use their charges only.

That is why there is a center pin, on the inside tip of the charges jack, that is the signal part of the process.

There is a slight chance that the ID chip is not your problem though, but it is a huge issue with them.

Good luck
Old 09-29-2013, 08:22 PM   #6
Registered Member

Thanks BIG, I was suspicious the moment the new battery wasn't working it was a motherboard problem that couldn't be fixed without replacing. I'm going to just buy an entirely new laptop, probably.

pmjokes, thanks! I had seen that in quite a few threads in my on and off again studying and I figured it might be that. So you're suggesting buying an AC Charger _from_ Dell and trying that out before I scrap the laptop and go buy a new one? (Because I'm not getting a new motherboard.)

edit,
Okay, so that's what I'll do. Get a genuine Dell AC Charger and if that doesn't work I'll assume it's a motherboard problem and just put the laptop in the top shelf of my closet and then go buy a new one.

Thanks guys! Have a great week
Old 09-30-2013, 01:28 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D. NickL View Post
Thanks BIG, I was suspicious the moment the new battery wasn't working it was a motherboard problem that couldn't be fixed without replacing. I'm going to just buy an entirely new laptop, probably.

pmjokes, thanks! I had seen that in quite a few threads in my on and off again studying and I figured it might be that. So you're suggesting buying an AC Charger _from_ Dell and trying that out before I scrap the laptop and go buy a new one? (Because I'm not getting a new motherboard.)

edit,
Okay, so that's what I'll do. Get a genuine Dell AC Charger and if that doesn't work I'll assume it's a motherboard problem and just put the laptop in the top shelf of my closet and then go buy a new one.

Thanks guys! Have a great week

You said that you already bought a new charger, you should be able to take it back and get an exchange, providing you have the package/receipt.

If you do end up buying a new laptop you can still use the old one for all kinds of things.

specially if you have kids etc.

I actually used my old dell just to place music on, until it completely quit working.

Or, maybe if you know of a kid whose family is poor and cant buy him a laptop , you can give it to him/her.

:)
Old 09-30-2013, 01:40 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

My System

You're welcome, Matt! Let us know how things turn out with the replacement charger!

BBJ
Old 09-30-2013, 02:15 PM   #9
Emeritus

No matter what the brand. it's always advisable to use a manufacturer's made AC/Adapter, that is made for your unit, to avoid problems/damage.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:13 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

My System

EEK!

@Tyree: That's very true--however, for most Customers, it's a money issue, especially for College Students and seniors on fixed incomes. There is a HUGE gap in the dollars required for an Aftermarket Adapter ($15-$40) and the Manufacturer Adapter $100 and up. I have used the Aftermarket Adapters with some success; but you have to be careful to replace as soon as you see wires poking through the Installation. I had one taped up last year, and it literally caught on fire in the middle of the living room! Fortunately I was home when it happened...
Makes you want to rethink buying Aftermarket Chargers.

BIGBEARJEDI
Old 10-02-2013, 10:48 PM   #11
Registered Member

Yeah, as BBJ put it, the decision was all about money for me. I bought a generic adapter and battery, willing to take that gamble and it fell through. I've done as pmjokes suggested and I gave the laptop away and bought a new one at Kmart. It's still useful to the dude I gave it to, as I took very good care of it. He's just gotta keep it plugged into the charger to run it, that's all. Who knows how many more miles it has on it?

I was going to buy a new adapter, but I've already invested more money than I intended into this so returned the battery and adapter before the money back guarantee expired and spent the loot + some on one of those cheapies.

Thanks for all your help guys, esp BBJ and pmjokes. I appreciate it :)
Old 10-04-2013, 01:48 AM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Sure thing, Matt! Thanks for updating us. I'm guessing, uh, 138,438 miles or maybe megabytes still left on that old laptop. Haha ;)

BBJ
Closed Thread