Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

User Tag List

Asus Cracked Motherboard

This is a discussion on Asus Cracked Motherboard within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Got this Asus X44H that my friend asked me to look at. His complaint is that the laptop won't charge

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 05:27 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Got this Asus X44H that my friend asked me to look at. His complaint is that the laptop won't charge and that when plugged in to the AC Adapter the DC Jack has a lot of movement.

Immediately I suspected a broken DC Jack. So I went ahead and took the laptop apart. The soldering points on the motherboard are not broken or loose. What I noticed was that where the DC Jack connects to the motherboard, the area around it is cracked. The actual motherboard is cracked.

Looks like at one point while connected to the charger it was yanked really hard or something like that. I've never seen this before. I've seen broken DC Jacks but never a cracked motherboard.

So I told my friend that he would unfortunately need a new motherboard. Found one online used. Matches the same part number as the current motherboard.

My question is, would a simple motherboard swap do the trick? Surprisingly it wasn't that difficult to remove the motherboard on this laptop.

I would appreciate all comments and feedback.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3186480827.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	492.1 KB
ID:	178882   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3548160117.jpg
Views:	688
Size:	449.2 KB
ID:	178890   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4293402125.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	423.4 KB
ID:	178898  

Name:	image-2859133411.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	407.6 KB
ID:	178906  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2014, 05:46 PM   #2
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

hi, yep a simple motherboard swap should do the trick. looks like the trace got broke.

Mark thread solved under thread tools when issue has been resolved.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:55 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscer1 View Post
hi, yep a simple motherboard swap should do the trick. looks like the trace got broke.
Exactly, that's the word "trace", I couldn't remember what those lines were called but I pretty much explained it to him as those lines, trace, got broken and it's what's causing the no charging/no power on.

The replacement mobo is about $87 shipped. Found it on eBay. Listing says, "Used, pulled from working system". Hopefully it's not DOA. Will go ahead and order it.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2014, 05:58 PM   #4
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Hope its good board. Keep us posted.

Mark thread solved under thread tools when issue has been resolved.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:01 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscer1 View Post
Hope its good board. Keep us posted.
I sent a message to the eBay seller confirming that although used, the motherboard is in good working condition. He replied stating that he thinks it will work and if not I can return it. Obviously not what I wanted to hear.

So will continue looking. Will tell my friend that buying the motherboard new is best than buying it used and possibly receiving a DOA mobo.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:43 PM   #6
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

I would buy that motherboard you found. If he states it's working and it's not your covered under eBay buyer protection.

Could you post the listing so I can take a look?
Old 06-06-2014, 05:16 AM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchiefxx17 View Post
I would buy that motherboard you found. If he states it's working and it's not your covered under eBay buyer protection.

Could you post the listing so I can take a look?
I am familiar with eBay's Buyer Protection program but would just like to avoid any issues. If DOA then I would have to return it back and would not wanna go through all that.

Anyhow, here is the link to the listing:

Asus X44H K43L Intel Laptop Motherboard | eBay

I noticed there are some others being listed as New for about $105 and higher.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:27 AM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Oh yeah, on the mobo it has Asus Main Board K43L Rev 3.1, this being the model number. On a white sticker it has P/N: 60-N7SMB1400.

When searching for this motherboard I've come across various listings where the part number is almost exactly the same but has some added numbers at the end. Like this one for example where it has C01 after the above part number.

Asus X44H K43L Intel Laptop Motherboard S989 31KJ9MB00C0 60 N7SMB1400 C01 | eBay

So my question is, do the part numbers have to match exactly or as long the mobo is a K43L I should be fine?
Old 06-06-2014, 05:30 AM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Here's a pic of the sticker I'm referring to.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-978204149.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	435.2 KB
ID:	178930  
Old 06-06-2014, 01:40 PM   #10
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

I would want a matching part number.

With $17 shipping on that eBay ad, you may as just well buy a new one for $105 like you found.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Found one with the same matching part number. Description states, "You are bidding on a working Asus X44H K43L Intel Laptop Motherboard s989 31KJ9MB00C0 60-N7SMB1400. 15 day warranty".

So I'm hoping it's not DOA. Will post once I receive it and install it.

Obviously I have to replace the thermal compound on both the CPU and GPU, correct?
Old 06-08-2014, 10:19 AM   #12
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

Yes, you will have to replace it.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:21 AM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

My System

UPDATE: received new motherboard and installed it. Double checked before installing that the DC Jack was in good condition and not loose from the motherboard in anyway. All soldering points are good.

When I plugged in the AC Adapter I noticed that the charging light on the laptop didn't turn on. So I unplugged it and plugged it in again, this time putting some pressure on the tip of the charger and the charging light came on. But if I let go of the tip it stops charging again.

I have another Asus laptop from the same person. I plugged in the charger to that laptop and it charges with no problem. I did a reference check on laptopjack.com for both these laptops. The DC Jack is the same size, 2.5mm center pin, meaning that the charger from one laptop fits the other.

So now my question is, what's the problem here? New motherboard with good DC Jack but not charging unless pressure is kept on the charger tip.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:16 AM   #14
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

Sounds like there might be a manufacturing defect in the charging jacks for this motherboard. If "pressure" is required to allow the system charge it's not too far of a leap to think that the cracked motherboard may have been caused by someone applying too much pressure in an attempt to get the adapter to work. Alternatively, the AC adapter's plug may be too large or damaged and misaligned. Do you have another adapter to try?
Old 09-12-2014, 04:31 PM   #15
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
Sounds like there might be a manufacturing defect in the charging jacks for this motherboard. If "pressure" is required to allow the system charge it's not too far of a leap to think that the cracked motherboard may have been caused by someone applying too much pressure in an attempt to get the adapter to work. Alternatively, the AC adapter's plug may be too large or damaged and misaligned. Do you have another adapter to try?
Been so busy, sorry for the late response.

I suspect the AC Adapter but not entirely. I say this because as previously stated, the same AC Adapter worked perfectly on the other Asus motherboard.

I don't have another AC Adapter to try. I don't know what else to check or do. The replacement motherboard seems perfectly fine. No looseness on the DC Jack or cracks like on the original motherboard.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:46 AM   #16
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi, just a thought could you swap the DC jacks.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:33 AM   #17
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeten View Post
Hi, just a thought could you swap the DC jacks.
Well, the original motherboard was thrown out. Didn't think it was going to be of any future use as it was cracked. And the DC Jack in that motherboard was also broken.

I was thinking of getting a hold of another AC Adapter with the same specs to see if that makes a difference. The DC Jack looks perfectly ok. No play at all.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:01 PM   #18
TSF Enthusiast

My System

UPDATE: I went to Best Buy today and purchased one of those Universal laptop chargers with different tips to rule out the original charger as the problem.

It wasn't the charger as the same symptoms were happening with the Universal one. So I ruled out the DC Jack and the charger. Took a closer look around the DC Jack and noticed that right next to it are the air vents for the CPU fan. Some of the vent openings were slightly broken. So I thought that maybe the owner had dropped the laptop on that side and the vents broke and maybe something else. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that right under where the DC Jack sits, there was some of the plastic broken off on the case (bottom laptop housing).

So I started improvising and managed to fit a very small piece of rolled duct tape and placed it where the small plastic had broken off on the bottom housing. This provided just enough support for the DC Jack to sit on top of it and for the charger to work. I tested it by moving the charger tip while plugged in to the laptop and it seems to have corrected the issue.

Based on my findings what I think happened was the owner dropped the laptop at some point and the small piece of plastic broke off. After this the laptop wouldn't charge so the owner would play with it until he was able to get it to charge. After doing this for some time, who knows how long, the DC Jack became loose from the soldering points on the motherboard and eventually ended up cracking or breaking the motherboard as shown on the pics in my original post.

So I'm patting myself on the back right now.

Thanks to all for your help and feedback.
Closed Thread