Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

User Tag List

Acer aspire 5315 power jack and Harness?

This is a discussion on Acer aspire 5315 power jack and Harness? within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey Forum, First a lil back story for your reading amusement... I think my power jack in my Acer Aspire

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 03:27 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hey Forum,

First a lil back story for your reading amusement...

I think my power jack in my Acer Aspire 5315 just fried. Well, think is an understatement, I KNOW it is. While working on it, I noticed my battery led flashing Orange, at the time i know it was fully charged so thinking that was weird I unplugged it from the wall socket and the power socket. I noted that the power adapter and the male portion of the adapter were abnormally hot. After letting them cool I plugged it back in only to my horror I hear a fizz-like sound and then smell something burning. I spazz.

Once my head cools and my wits are about me again, I note that I'm not getting any charge to the battery, the computer works fine. I use it till the battery depletes. I take the laptop to my buddy who has the same model laptop. We switch batteries, everything works honky-dory. I try his adapter, still no charge. I diagnose power jack fried.

I'm going to buy another power jack on Amazon.com. According to my research I may have to do some soldering... however I find on Amazon they sell a power jack and harness.

Now my question is, do I need this harness? I found a Power Jack for like 6 bucks, but... This Power Jack and harness is like 4 bucks. I figure might as well get the extra bang for my buck.

Further more, while researching on this site i found a few techniques for fixing this problem, the one that most interested me is to put the power jack on the exterior of the laptop. I assume if i get the harness that would make accomplishing that all the more easier..., maybe? Also If I get the power jack and harness will i still be required to solder anything?

Hrm..., Any advice or thoughts or idea's super duper greatly welcomed and majorly appreciated!

Thanks in Advance, plus a bonus thanks for your reply!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
GZ
TSF Emeritus

My System

Send a message via AIM to GZ Send a message via Yahoo to GZ

Hello guerbyangervil and welcome to TSF,

I am not certain about your 5315, but many laptop computers are now coming with remote Power Jack boards. I can only assume it is from the high occurrence of failing jacks...

If your computer is one of these, then you can get the DC jack and harness to make your job easier and, in this case, cheaper.

I would disassemble the laptop first and check the configuration to be sure you are ordering the correct part.

EDIT:

Putting the power jack on the outside of the case is not really recommended. It is just something else hanging out waiting to get damaged. Plus it leaves open circuitry and the chance for shorts and/or electrical shock.
Closed Thread