First a lil back story for your reading amusement...
I think my power jack in my Acer Aspire 5315 just fried. Well, think is an understatement, I KNOW it is. While working on it, I noticed my battery led flashing Orange, at the time i know it was fully charged so thinking that was weird I unplugged it from the wall socket and the power socket. I noted that the power adapter and the male portion of the adapter were abnormally hot. After letting them cool I plugged it back in only to my horror I hear a fizz-like sound and then smell something burning. I spazz.
Once my head cools and my wits are about me again
, I note that I'm not getting any charge to the battery, the computer works fine. I use it till the battery depletes. I take the laptop to my buddy who has the same model laptop. We switch batteries, everything works honky-dory. I try his adapter, still no charge. I diagnose power jack fried.
I'm going to buy another power jack on Amazon.com. According to my research I may have to do some soldering... however I find on Amazon they sell a power jack and harness.
Now my question is, do I need
this harness? I found a Power Jack for like 6 bucks, but... This Power Jack and
harness is like 4 bucks. I figure might as well get the extra bang for my buck.
Further more, while researching on this site i found a few techniques for fixing this problem, the one that most interested me is to put the power jack on the exterior of the laptop. I assume if i get the harness that would make accomplishing that all the more easier..., maybe? Also If I get the power jack and harness will i still be required to solder anything?
Hrm..., Any advice or thoughts or idea's super duper greatly welcomed and majorly appreciated!
Thanks in Advance, plus a bonus thanks for your reply!