User Tag List

Trying to run DDS

This is a discussion on Trying to run DDS within the Resolved HJT Threads forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I accidentally posted to another Tech Support forum and they told me to post here. My Asus laptop running Windows

Old 08-03-2016, 05:50 AM   #1
Registered Member

I accidentally posted to another Tech Support forum and they told me to post here. My Asus laptop running Windows 8.1 was recently compromised. I have changed passwords using my husband's laptop. I had unwanted programs cleaned off my laptop by a local computer repair place (reputable). However, I'm still getting pop ups (fake scam pop ups)URGENT CHROME UPDATE, and YOUR COMPUTER HAS BEEN LOCKED - CALL THE NUMBER ON THE SCREEN. Two days ago I couldn't get into either of my email accounts. Again I used my husband's laptop to change my login passwords, but I'm afraid to use my laptop for fear that every key stroke is being recorded. I was trying to run the DDS which was in the instructions I received and then was supposed to post those logs here. I keep getting - DDS is not meant to run in Compatibility Mode. I can't find where to turn that off or run as administrator or any other way to get it to run so I can produce the reports.

When my laptop was compromised, I was unable to install Anti-Virus. The first one I tried - Avira - is what lead to the hacking of my laptop. It was blocking sites I've used for years and when I uninstalled it, I was still getting the blocked sites. I thought I was calling Avira tech support, but I realized too late that it was a hoax. By that time I'd been hacked. All my restore points had also been deleted.

I'm ready to REFRESH or RESET my laptop but was asked to please post to this forum before I did that. Since I can't run DDS on my laptop, I can't do what was required. I downloaded the program to my husband's laptop and it works fine. So I don't know if that is another "hacker problem" or if something is set wrong my laptop. Advice needed!!! My husband wants me to get a new laptop - I'd like to do REFRESH or RESET first. Sharing his laptop is not working well. HELP!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2016, 12:33 PM   #2
Security Team
Moderator, Analyst
Rangemaster, TSF Academy

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hello and Welcome to TSF.

If you haven't already, please Subscribe to this Thread to get immediate notification of replies as soon as they are posted. To do this click Thread Tools, then click Subscribe to this Thread. Make sure it is set to Instant notification by email, then click Add Subscription.

Please note that the forum is very busy and if I don't hear from you within three days this thread will be closed.

------------------------------------------------------

**Note - Please do NOT upgrade your OS to Windows 10 until your machine is clean, and we have uninstalled all our removal tools. Thanks.

Please download AdwCleaner from here and save it to your desktop.
  • Run AdwCleaner and select Scan
  • Once the Scan is done, select Clean
  • Once done it will ask to reboot, please allow the reboot.
  • On reboot, a log will be produced. It can also be found at C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[C#].txt
  • Please copy/paste the contents of the log in your next reply.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them.
Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.
  • Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to the disclaimer.
  • Make sure the Addition.txt button is ticked.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.

Proud member of UNITE

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2014, 2015
Old 08-03-2016, 05:43 PM   #3
Registered Member

This thread can be closed. I have been frustrated for over a week and sharing my husband's laptop was not working. Today I did a RESET on my Asus running Windows 8.1. I just didn't have time to wait for answers and try different things but I truly appreciate the help you have given me in this - and all other times!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2016, 07:59 PM   #4
Security Team
Moderator, Analyst
Rangemaster, TSF Academy

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

You're welcome. Thanks for letting us know.

Proud member of UNITE

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2014, 2015