Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help > Resolved HJT Threads

User Tag List

Scanning USB drives for malware

This is a discussion on Scanning USB drives for malware within the Resolved HJT Threads forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi people. Recently my brother downloaded some nasty software with even nastier bundled crap (yeah, I know, it's always the

Old 02-11-2016, 02:34 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi people.

Recently my brother downloaded some nasty software with even nastier bundled crap (yeah, I know, it's always the "brother", I know, clichè ).

Windows Defender stopped some trojans and a subsequent scan found 4 of them.
I also manually removed some crap from the windows uninstaller app (some creepy chinese stuff) and made further scans with Defender and Malwarebytes. Also checked with Hijack This.

So far, it appears all clean, boot included.

However I had a USB stick and a hard drive connected while this happened and I would like to be reasonably sure that there's no crap on it.
I have sensible stuff and various software backup on it and I cannot simply format them.

The drives work fine and have no odd behaviour or files, however my suspicion was raised by the fact that on both of them there were hidden files put on "show" setting. It was nothing harmful, just USB drive software but since I could not remember if it was I that had set hidden files on "Show", it raised my suspicions. It could have been me while going on "crap hunt" before, but cannot really remember.

Could you suggest me a malware scanner (preferably free) specifically made to sanitize usb drives?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2016, 06:29 PM   #2
Security Team
Moderator, Analyst
Rangemaster, TSF Academy

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Please run this online scan to help look for remnants. Ensure your external and/or USB drives are inserted during the scan.

Go here and click 'Run ESET Online Scanner'.
  • If you are not using Internet Explorer, double-click esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to install it, then click 'Run'.
  • Turn off the real-time scanner of any existing antivirus program while performing the online scan. Here's how
  • Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
  • Click Start
  • If using Internet Explorer, allow the ActiveX control to install when asked.
  • Once the components have downloaded, tick the option Enable detection of potentially unwanted applications
  • Click on Advanced Settings
  • Make sure that the option Remove found threats is unticked.
  • Ensure these options are ticked:
    • Scan Archives
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • Next to 'Current scan targets: Operating memory, Local drives', click the Change... button.
  • Tick all the boxes that correspond to your external/inserted drives.
  • Click Start
  • Wait for the scan to finish.
  • When the scan is done, if it shows a screen that says "Threats found!", click "List of found threats", and then click "Export to text file..."
  • Save that text file to your desktop, and then copy/paste the contents in your next reply.
------------------------------------------------------

Proud member of UNITE

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2014, 2015
Old 02-16-2016, 09:38 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks, I did everything you said, here's the final result (I just edited my name for privacy):

C:\Windows.old\Users\myname\AppData\Local\Temp\mslog.dll a variant of Win32/WuJi.K potentially unwanted application
C:\Windows.old\Users\myname\AppData\Local\Temp\task.vbs VBS/TrojanDownloader.Agent.NSW trojan
C:\Windows.old\Users\myname\AppData\Local\Temp\Tinyxml2.dll a variant of Win32/WuJi.M potentially unwanted application
C:\Windows.old\Users\myname\AppData\Local\Temp\Low\mslog.dll a variant of Win32/WuJi.K potentially unwanted application
C:\Windows.old\Users\myname\AppData\Local\Temp\Low\Tinyxml2.dll a variant of Win32/WuJi.M potentially unwanted application

I suppose I could just flush the whole temp folder and get way with it, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2016, 06:32 PM   #4
Security Team
Moderator, Analyst
Rangemaster, TSF Academy

It appears your external drives weren't harmed. Yes, just flush that temp folder. It's in an old version anyway. You must have upgraded or re-installed at one time?

Proud member of UNITE

Old 02-17-2016, 12:33 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
It appears your external drives weren't harmed. Yes, just flush that temp folder. It's in an old version anyway. You must have upgraded or re-installed at one time?
No, the computer is a new laptop.

There were some massive windows updates some days ago, perhaps that was the reason?
Old 02-17-2016, 08:18 AM   #6
Security Team
Moderator, Analyst
Rangemaster, TSF Academy

Not sure why that folder would be on a new machine. Anyway, any remaining problems?

Proud member of UNITE

Old 02-17-2016, 01:09 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
Not sure why that folder would be on a new machine. Anyway, any remaining problems?
No, everything is ok.
Thanks for the help

I believe the "old" folder appeared after a massive Windows update, it took almost an hour and several reboots.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:05 AM   #8
Security Team
Moderator, Analyst
Rangemaster, TSF Academy

You're very welcome, Romanov77! Glad to have helped.

Proud member of UNITE