Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help > Resolved HJT Threads

User Tag List

Probable virus preventing .exe files from opening

This is a discussion on Probable virus preventing .exe files from opening within the Resolved HJT Threads forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. This is my first time posting here or on any tech forum, for that matter. Anyway, for the past few

Old 04-24-2011, 05:16 PM   #1
Registered Member

This is my first time posting here or on any tech forum, for that matter. Anyway, for the past few days I have been unable to open virtually any executable file on my computer, which runs on XP Media Center Edition. I have no success with anything in normal mode and can only open Internet Explorer in safe mode. Whenever I attempt to open a file, the task manager shows the file djq.exe appearing instead, which consumes a considerable amount of memory. After a second or two, djq.exe disappears and nothing has opened.

I am assuming that this is the work of a virus or spyware, but I am unable to take any course of action, as this is preventing me from running any anti-virus or anti-spyware software, accessing options on the control panel, running a system restore, or even opening the command window. I'd rather not have to reinstall XP again.

Any assistance on this matter would be greatly appreciated! I also apologize if my post failed to meet any conventions or norms of the forum, and I'd be glad to supplement it with any necessary information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2011, 05:09 AM   #2
TSF-Emeritus

Hello and welcome to TSF.

We want all our members to perform the steps outlined in the link given below, before posting for assistance. There's a sticky at the top of this forum, and a
Quote:
Having problems with spyware and pop-ups? First Steps
link at the top of each page.

Please follow our pre-posting process outlined below. Use a USB flash drive to download and transfer the tools to the affected machine, if necessary. You might like to run the Flash_Disinfector.exe on the clean machine and the flash drive first to protect against any possible transfer of infection via USB.

NEW INSTRUCTIONS - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help - Tech Support Forum

After running through all the steps, you shall have a proper set of logs. Please post them in a new topic, as this one shall be closed.

If you have trouble with one of the steps, simply move on to the next one, and make note of it in your reply.

Please note that the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forum is extremely busy, and it may take a while to receive a reply.

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search