Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help > Resolved HJT Threads

User Tag List

Mc Afee and AVG Free Version

This is a discussion on Mc Afee and AVG Free Version within the Resolved HJT Threads forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello out there, got problems, I am working off of a HP with Windows XP, i origionally had Mc Afee

Old 12-30-2004, 06:00 PM   #1
Registered Member

Mistake

Hello out there, got problems, I am working off of a HP with Windows XP, i origionally had Mc Afee for anti virus but it expired. Now I have downloaded the Free version of AVG 7.0 and the following is happening :
when i start windows i get an error code that reads:
RUNDLL Error loading STLB2.dll, the specific module cannot be found
followed by:
RUNDLL Error loading E6F1873B.dll, access denied.

Furthermore, for some reasons I cannot uninstall McAfee and now I cannot get Auto updates from AVG! Please anyone who knows what is going on with my puter please advise what i can do to remove Mc Afee, Get autoupdates from AVG and explain what the Rundll errors are. I am a fast and sharp learner but please speak in lamest terms for a learner like me to understand. The only other alternative i have is to take this thing in the back yard and shoot it! Thanks for all your help and advise in advance. Happy New Years 2005!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2004, 09:24 PM   #2

STLB2 (from memory) was a toolbar with a homepage hijacker.
I think you got BUGs !!
Can you hook the drive up to another pc as a slave?
(One with an up to date AV & spyware checker)
You might be surprised at what you find.
And not being able to uninstall McAfee is a bad sign to me, too.

https://www.scanspyware.net/info/BrowserAid.htm
Old 12-31-2004, 05:29 AM   #3

Very good, Valetino. That is Browser Aid, a homepage hijacker.

Madame,

Please download HijackThis - this program will help us determine if there are any spyware/malware on your computer. Create a folder at C:\HJT and move HijackThis.exe there. Double click on the program to run it.

1. If it gives you an intro screen, just choose 'Do a system scan and save a logfile'.
2. If you don't get the intro screen, just hit Scan and then click on Save log.
3. Get HijackThis Analyzer and save it to the same folder as the hijackthis.log file. Run HijackThis Analyzer and type in y if you agree. Open up the result.txt file created. Copy the whole result.txt log and post it in the forum. Do not fix anything in HijackThis since they may be harmless.

I will move your thread to HJT Help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2004, 08:17 AM   #4

Gee, thanks :)
Went looking after my post, found the link & edited it in.
Was just 'keeping the conversation going' til the cavalry arrived, lol.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:12 AM   #5
Registered Member

Confused

after I post my problem thread, i went to mc afee uninstall services, I read in other threads that 2 anti virus programs are BAD for one computer. So I was trying to get rid of the expired one. Mc Afee advised that the only way i can properly remove Mc Afee is to remove the service first, it advised me to edit the registry to remove the virus scan first then mc afee will uninstall itself. Ok, i had to uninstall AVG first to find Mc Afee Virus scan, but when i went under Add/remove programs the mc afee virus scan is not there. so now i have a dead mc afee on my computer that wont leave and AVG is gone (uninstalled), but you advise that i got bugs, ok, I have never used Hijack this but installing it right now. and the analyzer to. I just im not a very confident computer literate person and hesitate to do things i dont understand, but you have given me advise for my aunts computer and i trust you, just want to see if you will be around if i run into dumb questions or problems. Thanks for looking out for me, would hate to have to take this puter in the back yard!(BANG) i will shoot this thing to bring in the new year! hahahahah , Happy New years to you and yours. Much appreciation to you all.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:46 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Yes, we do not recommend having two antivirus programs. You should be able to uninstall McAfee without going into the registry (we don't even recommend touching the registry). Try installing McAfee again and restart. Then see if it's in the Add/Remove Panel. If not, check C:\Program Files\McAfee.... and see if there's an uninstaller there.

Don't worry about using HijackThis. We will guide you through the fix. If you have any questions, stop and ask it here before fixing/deleting anything.
Please do NOT PM me. Post whatever questions you may have in the forum and we will take a look at it when we get to it. If you have waited for more than 3 days, you may then and ONLY then PM me for assistance. I will take a look at it.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:58 PM   #7
Registered Member

Roll Eyes

hello again, well i just got your message, but tried to do the Hijack thing, i created the C:HJT and did everything you told me to do up to the scan point. i selected system scan and save logfile'. It began to scan and then stopped and an error message popped up stating the following:
HIJACKTHIS ERROR
An unexpected error has occured at this procedure : modMain_fixUNIXHosts file()
Error #28- application failed or object-defined error.
Please email me at [email protected], reporting the following :
*what i was doing when error occurred
*how you can reproduce the error
*a complete HIJACKTHIS scan, if possible
windows version. windows NT5.01.2600
MSIE version: 6.0.2900.2180
HIJACKTHIS version: 1.99.0
This message has been copied to your clipboard.

Ok, i am not that computer savy, so please tell me what that whole error message ment, that is the whole thing, i wrote it down word for word for you. I went no further with the Hijackthis until you advise me, i didnt want to damage my problem any further.
An in regard to greyknights post, thank you by the way, i tried to uninstall from every angle possible, that is why i went to Mc Afee for their advise, it was thier program, but they are the ones to advise me to backup my registry and edit it. I was scared and stopped when i backed it up, so i immediately deleted it before i could cause any further damage. so I am at the mercy of the both of you. and i appreciate all your help believe me. will await further instruction. thank you again and Good health, wealth and adventure to you this New Year!
Old 12-31-2004, 08:50 PM   #8
TSF Team Emeritus, Security Team

Let's try the previous program version:

Please download HijackThis - this program will help us determine if there are any spyware/malware on your computer. Create a folder at C:\HJT and move HijackThis1982.exe there. Run a scan and save the log file. Get HijackThis Analyzer and save it to the same folder as the hijackthis.log file. Run HijackThis Analyzer and type in y if you agree. Open up the result.txt file created. Copy the whole result.txt log and post it in the forum. Do not fix anything in HijackThis since they may be harmless.

GO BIG BLUE!!
Old 01-01-2005, 03:10 PM   #9
Registered Member

Roll Eyes

Hello again, I did the Hijack this file set up and scan, please review my previous response, It stopped in the middle of the scan and the HijackThis error code popped up (error code in full detail in last response). Are you telling me to run it again? Please advise, Appreciate all the help your providing me.
Old 01-01-2005, 03:14 PM   #10

I am asking you to download an earlier vesion of HJT, which may not freeze on you. Try running it in Safe Mode also (not preferred, but a good start).

GO BIG BLUE!!
Old 01-01-2005, 03:16 PM   #11
Registered Member

Roll Eyes

Hello GreyKnight, I see you are sending me HiJackThis1982.exe different from the one provided to me in the previous message, but when i clicked on the link i got a page with 4 lines on it saying something in Binary Code. what do i do with that, or is it my computer doing something stupid again? Let me know what to do at this point. Thanks for your help, much appreciation.
Old 01-01-2005, 03:19 PM   #12

Hi....greyknight's not in right now.....but here's a different link.

https://www.download.com/3000-8022-10227353.html

GO BIG BLUE!!
Old 01-01-2005, 03:20 PM   #13
Registered Member

Roll Eyes

Hello again, somewhat computer challenged. Question: how do i make my computer go into safe mode. Sorry to be so simple, I know your time is valuable. Thank you for sticking with me.
Old 01-01-2005, 03:21 PM   #14

Never a silly question, if you don't know the answer.....

Here's a good link explaining how tostart in Safe Mode:

https://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...rc=sec_doc_nam

GO BIG BLUE!!
Old 01-01-2005, 03:38 PM   #15
Registered Member

Roll Eyes

Hello again, I want to make sure i am doing this correctly. I have downloaded the file Hijackthis you linked me to, and am presently printing out all the instructions to put my computer in save mode. but i want to make sure that i am doing the C:\HJT correctly.
I made a file on my desktop, them moved it to the C:, renamed it HJT then moved both Hijackthis and HijackthisAnaylazer into the file. Please advise that i am doing this right, because when i put the computer in safe mode the directions said i cannot get back on the internet, so before i cut myself off with you, am i doing that right? Thanks ...
Old 01-01-2005, 03:40 PM   #16

Well, the answer to you question is yes about being cut off from the 'Net, but only do that if instrcuted in our responses or to try and run this log.

Reboot to Normal Mode to post the log.

GO BIG BLUE!!
Old 01-01-2005, 03:51 PM   #17
Registered Member

Grin

ok, i moved the files and downloaded all the links you advised. printed out all the instructions you provided me, now going to put the computer in save mode and do the scan and log you told me to do. will be back to let you know what is going on. Once again words cannot express the appreciation to you for all your help and guidance. Thank you.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:17 AM   #18
Registered Member

Mistake

Hello again my brave Computer Techs! Well I followed your instructions to the letter and i got the same Error #28 code listed in the previous thread and it stopped the scan, what does that mean. I could not complete the scan to send you a file. Now what shall I do? I mentioned before that I uninstalled the new AVG software so that it would be easier to remove McAfee, but when I tried to uninstall McAfee that was my problem. So I am currently reinstalling McAfee to uninstall it. I hope this works. but I am at a loss now. I dont know what is wrong with my computer and i cannot get the result.txt that you request because HijackThis will not complete the scan. Awaiting for your advise. Thanks again for being so patient with me.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:43 PM   #19
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Is the problem with the Hijackthis.exe program or the analyzer program? If you are having problems with the analyzer, then just post the regular hijackthis.log file.

Try this:

1. Get HijackThis (which you should have by now)
2. Try running a scan in normal mode - just double click on the HijackThis.exe program and click on Scan - then Save Log
3. Post that log here.
Please do NOT PM me. Post whatever questions you may have in the forum and we will take a look at it when we get to it. If you have waited for more than 3 days, you may then and ONLY then PM me for assistance. I will take a look at it.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:32 PM   #20
Registered Member

Thumbs Up

Hello to all that stood by me and tried to help me with my problem. Well unfortunately I could not do much with my computer with the 2 anti-viruses on at the same time and i had about 13 different spywares on my computer freezing everything up. I tried to use the HiJackThis several times and it would not complete the scan. So i restored my computer all the way back to day one and have been updating all my security software. I downloaded AdAware Se but it only downloaded the language package. Did i not complete the entire download? Could you recommend a software for spyware to remove and clean your system and monitor them from coming back on my computer? I would really appreciate your input in this matter. Hope you had a fantastic holiday and even better new year to come.