Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help > Resolved HJT Threads

User Tag List

Help needed! (CTB locker, file recovery)

This is a discussion on Help needed! (CTB locker, file recovery) within the Resolved HJT Threads forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey guys, So recently, i had this CTB locker on my computer that took many of my personal files 'hostage',

Old 10-17-2015, 05:09 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Vypstar91

Hey guys,

So recently, i had this CTB locker on my computer that took many of my personal files 'hostage', in that it has changed the file-types of said hostage files. This has disabled my ability to access said files, while they are still on my PC. Is there anyone that can help me with this issue?

The files in question are mainly personal files, like pictures(JPEGS, PNGs, etc), text documents(Mainly TXT's and RTF's), and so on. Other corrupted files include game files (mainly TXT files).

A friend of mine offered me a program called Photorec, which should be able to recover all of said files. However, despite after having it scan for corrupted files for well over 10 hours, it offered little to no results. Only a handful of files were found/recovered, and these files were found quite early on in the scan. For the rest of the scan, there has been little to no change in files found, and the estimated time it took to complete the scan has only increased to about 2500 hours, before my pc was accidentally restarted due to a required update, causing me to be back to where i began... With next to no knowledge of this program, or how to get my files back at all, my friend told me about this forum.

My question: Is there anyone out there with knowledge of CTB viruses and file recovery? If there is, please contact me by either replying to this thread, or adding me on skype: xx-vypra-xx (Brian Lammers from the Netherlands should be the only result, and yes, that is me).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2015, 06:55 PM   #2
Security Team
Moderator, Analyst
Rangemaster, TSF Academy

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Unfortunately, you have very few options:

CTB Locker and Critroni Ransomware Information Guide and FAQ

"The only methods you have of restoring your files is from a backup, file recovery tools, or if your lucky from Shadow Volume Copies."

CTB Locker and Critroni Ransomware Information Guide and FAQ

------------------------------------------------------

Proud member of UNITE

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2014, 2015
Old 10-18-2015, 02:15 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Vypstar91

Thanks for the reply! :)

I'm afraid it has only confirmed what i already knew though... There are next to no ways i am getting those files back, so i have already given up on them. I saved what i could, made a back up of it, and now i'll just re-install my pc entirely at some point, i guess. Many game files of a lot of different games on my pc were also affected, and i don't want to un-install them all seperately, because that would take me a lot more time than simply re-installing my entire pc. Maybe a bit radical, but my decision is already made.

Thanks for the help, though ^^ If any moderators read this, they can either delete this thread, or turn it's status to solved. I have no clue really on how to do that, so i guess i'll let a moderator do it for me xD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2015, 02:08 PM   #4
Security Team
Moderator, Analyst
Rangemaster, TSF Academy

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hello Vypstar91. You're very welcome. Sorry there wasn't more we could do. Best of luck!

Proud member of UNITE

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2014, 2015