Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help > Resolved HJT Threads

User Tag List

Error Message DDS is not meant to be run in 'Compatability Mode.'

This is a discussion on Error Message DDS is not meant to be run in 'Compatability Mode.' within the Resolved HJT Threads forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I downloaded DDS to my desktop and double clicked on it. I said yes to the permissions screen, and got

Old 08-30-2015, 10:15 AM   #1
Registered Member

OS: Desktop- Windows 10 (1607), Laptop-Windows 10 (1607)

My System

Arrow

I downloaded DDS to my desktop and double clicked on it. I said yes to the permissions screen, and got the following message:

DDS is not meant to be run in Compatibility Mode.' The program shall now exit.

Appreciate any help on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2015, 11:05 PM   #2
Security Team
Analyst

Hello sweetrosette,

What is the problem in your computer? Can you give me information?

Please do the following:

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them.
Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to the disclaimer.
Make sure the Addition.txt button is ticked.
Press Scan button.
It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:22 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekir06 View Post
Hello sweetrosette,

What is the problem in your computer? Can you give me information?
I can't connect my laptop and my desktop together in a Homegroup. I've been over in the Networking/Homegroup Forum and we're not getting anywhere, yet, so it was suggested I come over here to the antivirus Forum and get a clean bill of health re viruses, etc., before we can proceed.

Just FYI this laptop I have was given to me by my brother little over a month ago and computers aren't his strong suit. If you need your car repaired he's the one you would want to fix it, but PCs are alien to him. He took this thing to the library a lot and downloaded music and movies, so heaven knows what's on it.

When I got this laptop the first thing I did was run Windows Defender and found 2 browser hijack viruses, and there were over 100 Windows updates I had to download and install, if this gives you any idea of the condition this laptop was in.

I've attached FRST.txt and Addition.txt to this reply.....
Attached Files
File Type: txt FRST.txt (38.8 KB, 33 views)
File Type: txt Addition.txt (44.3 KB, 29 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2015, 11:19 PM   #4
Security Team
Analyst

Hello sweetrosette,

Thanks for the informations. I don't see a problem with the logs. But let's make sure by looking through other tools.

Please do the following.

Open Notepad (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Notepad).
Please copy all the text in the codebox below. (To do this highlight the contents of the box, right-click on it and select Copy. Right-click in the open Notepad and select Paste).
Save it as fixlist.txt next to FRST.exe

NOTE: Both FRST.exe and the fixlist.txt must be in the same location or the fix will not work.
Code:
CreateRestorePoint:
SearchScopes: HKU\S-1-5-21-2649304672-1142591794-2061873258-1008 -> {0633EE93-D776-472f-A0FF-E1416B8B2E3A} URL = 
SearchScopes: HKU\S-1-5-21-2649304672-1142591794-2061873258-1008 -> {CD7728AC-CB38-44EB-8ED5-54A42C1A804C} URL = 
SearchScopes: HKU\S-1-5-21-2649304672-1142591794-2061873258-1008 -> {D944BB61-2E34-4DBF-A683-47E505C587DC} URL = 
EmptyTemp:
Double-click FRST to run the tool. If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.
Click the Fix button just once, and wait.
If you receive a message that a reboot is required, please make sure you allow it to restart normally.
The tool will complete its run after the restart.
When finished, the tool will make a log (Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run. Please post the Fixlog.txt log in your reply.

NOTE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on that particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system
Old 09-03-2015, 03:18 PM   #5
Registered Member

My System

Arrow

Good to learn there might not be any more infections on my PC. Have attached the latest results.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Fixlog.txt (1.6 KB, 25 views)
Old 09-04-2015, 12:37 AM   #6
Security Team
Analyst

Hello again,

Thanks for the log. Please do the below steps.

STEP 1

Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

On the Dashboard, click the Scan Now button.
A check for database updates will be performed.
After the update check completes, a Threat Scan will begin.
When the scan is complete, if there have been detections, click Remove Selected to allow MBAM to clean what was detected.
In most cases, a restart will be required and a prompt will be shown.
Wait for the prompt to restart the computer to appear, then click on Yes.

Posting the Malwarebytes log:

After the restart once you are back at your desktop, open MBAM once more.
Click on the History tab > Application Logs.
Double click on the scan log which shows the Date and time of the scan just performed.
Click Export.
Click Text file (*.txt)
In the Save File dialog box which appears, click on Desktop.
In the File name: box type a name for your scan log.
A message box named File Saved should appear stating "Your file has been successfully exported".
Click Ok
Attach that saved log to your next reply.

=======================================================

STEP 2

Please go HERE then click on: Run Eset Online Scanner
Note: If using Mozilla Firefox you will need to download esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe when prompted then double click on the icon install.

All of the below instructions are compatible with either Internet Explorer or Mozilla FireFox.

Select the option YES, I accept the Terms of Use then click on Start buton.
When prompted allow the Add-On/Active X to install.
Make sure that the option Remove found threats is NOT checked, and the option Scan archives is checked.
Now click on Advanced Settings and select the following:
  • Scan for potentially unwanted applications
  • Scan Archives
  • Enable Anti-Stealth Technology
Next to 'Current scan targets: Operating memory, Local drives', click the Change... button.
Tick all the boxes that correspond to your external/inserted drives.
Click Start. The virus signature database will begin to download. This may take some time.
Wait for the scan to finish.
When completed, click on Finish.
When the scan is done, if it shows a screen that says "Threats found!", click "List of found threats", and then click "Export to text file..."
Save that text file to your desktop, and then copy/paste the contents in your next reply.

========================================================

I need to see in your next post:
  • MBAM Log
  • ESET Log
Old 09-06-2015, 07:37 PM   #7
Registered Member

My System

Arrow

Scans done. I've attached the MWB scan, but not the ESET because nothing was found.

The ESET scan took 3 hours and 11 minutes to finish. When the game app Wild Tangent came up, which was twice, first time at 35% and the second at 43%, the scan would come to a crawl, taking over 40 mins to go through Wild Tangent each time it was found. I'm mentioning this in case it's important.

In any event, I'd like to remove this Wild Tangent app, as I looked it up on my phone while the scan was taking place. It's not a very nice game app, it sends information back to the company which designed it, and from what I found online is also not easy to remove. If this isn't something this Forum deals with I do understand and will remove the app after I conclude my business here.

Also, let me take a moment and thank you for all your help. Giving this much time and energy to help someone you don't know is commendable and I'm appreciative.
Attached Files
File Type: txt MWB Scan 9-6-15.txt (1.0 KB, 32 views)
Old 09-06-2015, 11:39 PM   #8
Security Team
Analyst

Hello,

You're welcome.

Thanks for the informations. Now, please re-run FRST tool and attach fresh FRST.txt and Addition.txt.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:37 AM   #9
Registered Member

My System

Here are the results to the most recent FRST scan....
Attached Files
File Type: txt Addition.txt (44.5 KB, 29 views)
Old 09-08-2015, 05:12 AM   #10
Security Team
Analyst

Hello,

You haven't attached FRST.txt. Please attach it too.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:44 PM   #11
Registered Member

My System

Sorry I missed attaching the FRST file
Attached Files
File Type: txt FRST.txt (33.1 KB, 22 views)
Old 09-09-2015, 11:01 PM   #12
Registered Member

My System

I need to mention something. Tonight I was using my laptop and, at one point, I looked up at the top of my screen and everyone of my links had disappeared. I don't have as many links on this PC as I do on my desktop, about 12 or so, but they were all gone.

I clicked on Start to reboot and noticed there were 22 updates that needed to be downloaded and installed. After the reboot the links were still not at the top of the browser.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:21 PM   #13
Registered Member

My System

OK, I got the Links back. When I noticed the Links were gone I right-clicked on the Links area and all the options I wanted were checked--Menu Bar, Command Bar, Favorites Bar, and Status Bar, but no Links and this crazy PC wouldn't let me create new links in the Links area.

What I had to do to establish new links was delete all the options in the Command Bar, and then when I right-clicked on the Links area, the menu showed the Favorites Bar and the Command Bar options weren't checked any longer.

I checked them back on, again, and everything came back.

I'm really beginning to think this PC is "possessed.".......lolol...........
Old 09-09-2015, 11:34 PM   #14
Security Team
Analyst

If you did what you wrote above, after the FRST scan, you need to send fresh reports again.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:59 PM   #15
Registered Member

My System

Arrow

I ran the FRST tool but I didn't get a FRST text this time. All I got was the fixlist text. I might have forgotten how the FRST scan works but I read the original instructions and followed them to the letter. Double clicked it made sure the addition.txt was checked and clicked on Fix. No FRST file.

So, I downloaded the FRST tool again, and got this message: "FRST64.exe is not commonly downloaded and could harm your computer." I clicked on Delete and came here.

I didn't get this message the first time I downloaded the FRST tool, and want to run this by you first before I go any farther.....
Old 09-13-2015, 02:10 PM   #16
Security Team
Analyst

Hello,

Sorry for delay. Ok. Please do the following.

Please download delfix to your desktop.

• Close all other programs and start delfix.
  • Right-click on delfix.exe and select " Run as administrator " to run it.
  • Ensure Remove disinfection tools is ticked. Also tick: Create registry backup, Purge system restore
  • Click Run
  • delfix will now delete all found traces of our removal process.

Note: The program will run for a few moments and then notepad will open with a log. No need to post this log.

==============================================================

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop. Run FRST tool and attach fresh FRST.txt and Addition.txt.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:01 AM   #17
Registered Member

My System

Arrow

I know you said not to include the delfix log after the software ran but there are a couple things in it I want to show you. Here's a copy/paste of the log:

Deleted : RP #12 [Installed HP Support Assistant | 08/24/2015 00:48:53]
Deleted : RP #14 [Restore Point Created by FRST | 09/03/2015 21:04:34]
Deleted : RP #15 [Windows Update | 09/10/2015 05:46:00]
Deleted : RP #17 [Restore Point Created by FRST | 09/10/2015 20:49:44]
Deleted : RP #19 [Restore Point Created by FRST | 09/11/2015 03:04:47]
Deleted : RP #21 [Restore Point Created by FRST | 09/11/2015 03:05:39]

The delfix deleted my HP Support Assistant program and one of the Windows Updates that was installed on 9/10/2015. Not sure if this was supposed to happen, so I want to run this by you for a look before I download the FRST tool and run it again.
Old 09-18-2015, 01:55 PM   #18
Security Team
Analyst

Hello,

Delfix only deleted the previous Restore Points which it is designed to do. No software was removed. Please run FRST tool and attach fresh FRST.txt and Addition.txt.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:33 PM   #19
Registered Member

My System

Arrow

Ran the FRST tool again. Am attaching the logs...
Attached Files
File Type: txt FRST.txt (28.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: txt Addition.txt (35.1 KB, 27 views)
Old 09-22-2015, 12:28 AM   #20
Security Team
Analyst

Hello

I don't see see any issue in your logs. The issue does not seem malware related.

Your reports are clear. Let's remove all tools and logs that we use.

CLEAN UP

Please download delfix to your desktop.

• Close all other programs and start delfix.
  • Right-click on delfix.exe and select " Run as administrator " to run it.
  • Ensure Remove disinfection tools is ticked. Also tick: Create registry backup, Purge system restore
  • Click Run
  • delfix will now delete all found traces of our removal process.
Note: The program will run for a few moments and then notepad will open with a log. No need to post this log.

=========================================================

MICROSOFT UPDATES

It is very important that you get all of the critical updates for your Operating System. Another essential is to keep your computer updated with the latest operating system patches and security fixes. Windows Updates are constantly being revised to combat the newest hacks and threats, Microsoft releases security updates that help keep your computer from becoming vulnerable. It is best if you have these set to download automatically.

Turn on Automatic Updates in Windows 8.1

------------------------------------------------------

Make sure you backup your system, so possible reformatting in the future isn't necessary:

Backup and Restore - Microsoft Windows

------------------------------------------------------

PREVENTION

Please read the article below which will give you a few suggestions for how to minimise your chances of getting another infection.
  • WOT, Web of Trust, warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware, or send spam. Protect your computer against online threats by using WOT as your front-line layer of protection when browsing or searching in unfamiliar territory. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites, helping you avoid the dangerous sites:
    • Green to go
    • Yellow for caution
    • Red to stop
    WOT has an add-on available for IE, Firefox, and Chrome.
  • MVPS HOSTS FILE replaces your current HOSTS file with one that will restrict known ad sites from serving you unsolicited advertisements. It basically prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1, which is the IP of your local computer. See guide here and for Windows 8.1 here
Keep your antivirus program and antispyware programs updated and scan with them on a regular basis.

Please respond to this thread one more time so we can mark this thread as resolved.