Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

XP3 will not load after Microsoft patch

This is a discussion on XP3 will not load after Microsoft patch within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Have clean XP disk but because of files being partitioned when I loaded the new Microsoft released patch made specific

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 11:58 AM   #1
Registered Member

Have clean XP disk but because of files being partitioned when I loaded the new Microsoft released patch made specific for XP the computer no longer starts up properly and I can not see, and do not know how to get to the hard drive(s). Specifically the command prompt!
I can see it has partitioned the files when I try to open in safe mode - (F8)
I can also see that if I could get to c: and do a chkdsk /r the problem would be solved - (system message through Advanced Options - F8)
However I can not get to the c: drive!

If I could merge the partition files back to the c: drive I would assume all would be back to normal.
If I could get to the OS C: drive I would happily do a chkdsk /f /r!

HP Pavilion but can not even get F11 recovery to respond.

Computer does see the CD drive as it did read the start option of the clean XP disk but when I do either repair option or reinstall it says it can not see hard drive. When I just try and power up it just goes directly to the F8 main screen but none of the options work. It just loops back to the same screen after a number of seconds!

I am stuck in FRED territory! Luckily data is not an issue as I backed up everything prior to installing this specially released patch for the ransomeware issue.

Save
Save
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2017, 12:16 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

There are partition recovery software programs, but for more clarity were you set up with personal files on one partition and programs or XP on another?

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:27 PM   #3
Registered Member

partition files are all windows system files.

and the system restore shown above for HP (push F10 before Win logo) takes me to BIOS

Did a check of primary and secondary hard drives with 100% on both primary and comprehensive checks.

Have not been successful in getting a free partition recovery software program that works.

Suggestions for one that is bootable gratefully requested! .exe ones will not work because I can not see drives or folders/files to execute!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2017, 03:22 PM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Someone might have a suggestion, but I think it will be a paid one.

Old 05-25-2017, 02:43 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Is this a laptop or a desktop?
The Windows patch would not partition your HDD.
Quote:
Did a check of primary and secondary hard drives with 100% on both primary and comprehensive checks
So, you have more then one HDD? Maybe this is why you think the main HDD is partitioned?
Press F10, Boot into Setup (Bios) on the Main page or System Information, it should list the drives on your computer (ie) CD drive and HDD or two, is the Main HDD listed? If not, then it has become unplugged, or it has failed. If a desktop, shut down, open the case and make sure the Data and Power cable are plugged in to the drive and the Data cable is plugged securely into the Motherboard.
If the HDD is shown in the Bios, then go to SATA, or Hard Drive Mode, if it is set to AHCI, Change it to Legacy or IDE, Save and Exit.
You can also remove the HDD from the case and attach it to a working computer to via a USB adapter, Dock or Enclosure.
You can try to recover any lost partitions using Find and Mount. If the HDD is listed as Unallocated Space, or if it says it is Not Initialized, then you can try and recover your files using the Free TestDisk program. I have had the best luck with GetDataBack. You will need another drive of the same size or larger to restore your files to.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:32 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Is this a laptop or a desktop?
The Windows patch would not partition your HDD.
So, you have more then one HDD? Maybe this is why you think the main HDD is partitioned?
Press F10, Boot into Setup (Bios) on the Main page or System Information, it should list the drives on your computer (ie) CD drive and HDD or two, is the Main HDD listed? If not, then it has become unplugged, or it has failed. If a desktop, shut down, open the case and make sure the Data and Power cable are plugged in to the drive and the Data cable is plugged securely into the Motherboard.
If the HDD is shown in the Bios, then go to SATA, or Hard Drive Mode, if it is set to AHCI, Change it to Legacy or IDE, Save and Exit.
You can also remove the HDD from the case and attach it to a working computer to via a USB adapter, Dock or Enclosure.
You can try to recover any lost partitions using Find and Mount. If the HDD is listed as Unallocated Space, or if it says it is Not Initialized, then you can try and recover your files using the Free TestDisk program. I have had the best luck with GetDataBack. You will need another drive of the same size or larger to restore your files to.
WOW a lot of information on here.
Partition happened directly after downloading and installing the patch, on reboot of system so to say it had nothing to do with the "patch" is an assumption.
I can get into the BIOS and it does not appear any different than it ever has. This is an old HP laptop.
If there were no hard drives, machine came with 2!, it would not try to load windows at all.
It is trying to start normally and I am able to see the files that are partitioned, all windows system files, and also can see the fix that the HP machine generates which is to run chkdsk.
I can not run this as the windows system files have been partitioned and are not allowing the machine to boot up. It just keeps looping back to the "Open in" choice screen and the "advanced option screen" is also available but loops back to the original choice screen.

I am trying to get Windows repair to work hence I will not hopefully loose what is on machine, like all the programs that are loaded!
The machine message is saying do chkdsk so that is what I wish to do first and then see if I need to go any further with the windows repair.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:02 PM   #7
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

Make sure to do chkdsk/r. Otherwise it will only tell you what's wrong.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:29 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
I can get into the BIOS and it does not appear any different than it ever has. This is an old HP laptop
Since we are not there to see it, can you tell us what the Bios says about your HDD"s.
Why do you think your HDD is partitioned? On another computer, you can download Minitool Partition Master, Free version. you then can create a bootable CD or USB of the program and boot off of that to view and repair your partitions. Or, as stated, you can remove the drive and attach it to a working computer and test it as a secondary drive in Windows.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:25 AM   #9
Registered Member

Thanks trying boot with Hirens. Will see how that goes and if I can get to the prompt to run chkdsk /r
Old 05-31-2017, 08:55 AM   #10
Registered Member

This happened to me too! And I've found two other people describing the same problem in other forums. My affected computer (thankfully not my only computer!) is a Dell Precision laptop with OEM WinXP Pro SP3. New hard drive professionally installed about 9 months ago, with professional reinstall of WinXP. Absolutely NO problems since then, until I downloaded this patch. I've got it at a professional shop now (not the same one that replaced hard drive, as I'm 1000 miles away from there now) and while they don't anticipate any problem recovering data and confirm that the hard drive is fine, they seem stumped by the refusal to boot. Last night they called and said they think it's a bad motherboard, but I told them I'm not buying this diagnosis, as the timing coincidence is just too improbable, especially when I've now found three other people who had the exact same thing happen immediately after installing this patch. I'm not a big fan of post-XP era Microsoft, but I really don't think they created a patch that fries motherboards -- they're not THAT bad :)

Please help! If anybody bumps into a confirmed explanation and/or solution, please remember to share it here!
Old 08-03-2017, 04:20 PM   #11
Registered Member

OS: XP[HP]32SP[23] AOS 5.0.1 Past: W2KSSP4 W2KW W98SE Slackware Ubuntu SUSE DOS UNIX Z/OS PDP-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotoBridge View Post
I can see it has partitioned the files when I try to open in safe mode - (F8)
I need some clarification on your comments and further info.

Firstly files are not usually referred to as partitioned, so do you mean your disk is partitioned?

I assume your comment means XP boots into safe mode is that correct?

If that is correct continue.

To clarify your partitioned layout state.
From safe mode boot please run windows explorer and then:
  • Do you see two drives are they C: and D: drive?
  • Do you mean C: drive has only a "Windows" folder?
  • Have your turned off hide system folder option in explorer?
  • Have your turned off hide extensions ?
  • You much free space on both drives ?
  • Start menu, select Run enter Cmd.exe does it work?
In cmd.exe enter:
set us
set sys
what are values of
USERPROFILE
SystemRoot
I suspect you just have a bad patch that need to be removed manually and your system was always split into two drives.
Closed Thread